Who here actually drives an EV/HYBRID?

Anything to do with the electric or hybrid world

Moderator: Team

nitro2
Vendor

Re: Who here actually drives an EV/HYBRID?

Post by nitro2 »

Monzsta wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:14 pm
nitro2 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:43 am
Monzsta wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:20 pm

0-60 in under three seconds from the top of the line Teslas isn't worthy of ST? The canvas may change but hot rodding as an art is forever.

The new crop of EV trucks from GM and Rivian will also clear the 3 second bench with 700 - 1,000 horsepower and 6,000+ curb weights.
Worthy ? Not in the least, in fact less than zero. I don't care if they do 1000 mph in 1 second from a dead stop and change your underwear for you.

Many people on ST earn a living from IC engines one way or another, and they want to continue to. They won't be making a living from electric motors, electric has the potential to put many people out of business, and destroy motorsports etc. No way would I ever give electric any platform at all. Electric will go however the gov't wants it to go but I sure won't be helping it along any. Anyone that knows me would never start up an electric discussion with me as they would quickly find themselves on the wrong side of my "electric fence".

People who want to "change the channel", should do it right and get their own "channel" and have at it, instead of screwing with someone else's "channel", and that applies to a whole lot of things in life, not just electric vehicles.
And why couldn't you make a living from EV's? Look at the bigger picture. Right now you're steeped in the art of enhancing combustion. EV's are far from perfect out of the box. Take my humble Volt, for example. 149 hp and 271 ft/lbs. GM got the bright idea of using the same Voltec powertrain in the heavier Cadillac ELR, and found out the customers really expected more out of a $76,000 car. So they hit the books, got into some fringe motor flux theory using harmonics.

"The new algorithm builds upon a control theory developed in the 1990s that injects harmonics – through a complex series of math equations – into the original sine wave, boosting power.

“In the 90s, they used to call it third harmonic injection,” explained Grewe, “where you take the third harmonic of the primary frequency and inject it back in. That actually makes the motor have more capabilities. We went about ten levels beyond that, so it’s way past third harmonic injection.”

233 hp and 373 ft/lbs was the final result without a single hardware change. Same motors, same inverters, same battery. Just a different method of driving the motors. And that from an OEM that has to warranty it.

Gasoline engines aren't going anywhere. But don't close yourself off to the future. Apply yourself to it.
Well......I like earning a living doing something that interests me, I think most people on ST feel the same (they like what they are doing, doesn't mean it's easy or they are getting rich, it means it is their ingrained interest and they get to feed that interest everyday). I think the majority of the people in the world aim for that too and most don't achieve it.

If I could no longer be involved in IC engines, there are about a bazillion other things I'd rather "apply myself to" than working on battery technology for vehicles. Make that 2 bazillion.

Seriously, forcing EV down an IC person's throat, it's like telling an old time country music fan or a heavy metal fan that they can't listen to their music anymore they will have to listen to rap from now on, oh and they will have to learn to like it.

I know it is hard to comprehend for some, but some people like engines, their primary interest is ENGINES. Their primary interest is NOT cars. People that love cars may not care what they are powered by or how they sound, so long as they go fast and look nice. There is a BIG difference between a car nut and an engine nut.
High Speed Combustion Pressure Tuning Equipment
TFX Engine Technology Inc.
tfx.engine@yahoo.com
www.tfxengine.com
Monzsta

Post by Monzsta »

nitro2 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:42 am
nitro2 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:43 am

Worthy ? Not in the least, in fact less than zero. I don't care if they do 1000 mph in 1 second from a dead stop and change your underwear for you.

Many people on ST earn a living from IC engines one way or another, and they want to continue to. They won't be making a living from electric motors, electric has the potential to put many people out of business, and destroy motorsports etc. No way would I ever give electric any platform at all. Electric will go however the gov't wants it to go but I sure won't be helping it along any. Anyone that knows me would never start up an electric discussion with me as they would quickly find themselves on the wrong side of my "electric fence".

People who want to "change the channel", should do it right and get their own "channel" and have at it, instead of screwing with someone else's "channel", and that applies to a whole lot of things in life, not just electric vehicles.
And why couldn't you make a living from EV's? Look at the bigger picture. Right now you're steeped in the art of enhancing combustion. EV's are far from perfect out of the box. Take my humble Volt, for example. 149 hp and 271 ft/lbs. GM got the bright idea of using the same Voltec powertrain in the heavier Cadillac ELR, and found out the customers really expected more out of a $76,000 car. So they hit the books, got into some fringe motor flux theory using harmonics.

"The new algorithm builds upon a control theory developed in the 1990s that injects harmonics – through a complex series of math equations – into the original sine wave, boosting power.

“In the 90s, they used to call it third harmonic injection,” explained Grewe, “where you take the third harmonic of the primary frequency and inject it back in. That actually makes the motor have more capabilities. We went about ten levels beyond that, so it’s way past third harmonic injection.”

233 hp and 373 ft/lbs was the final result without a single hardware change. Same motors, same inverters, same battery. Just a different method of driving the motors. And that from an OEM that has to warranty it.

Gasoline engines aren't going anywhere. But don't close yourself off to the future. Apply yourself to it.
Well......I like earning a living doing something that interests me, I think most people on ST feel the same (they like what they are doing, doesn't mean it's easy or they are getting rich, it means it is their ingrained interest and they get to feed that interest everyday). I think the majority of the people in the world aim for that too and most don't achieve it.

If I could no longer be involved in IC engines, there are about a bazillion other things I'd rather "apply myself to" than working on battery technology for vehicles. Make that 2 bazillion.

Seriously, forcing EV down an IC person's throat, it's like telling an old time country music fan or a heavy metal fan that they can't listen to their music anymore they will have to listen to rap from now on, oh and they will have to learn to like it.

I know it is hard to comprehend for some, but some people like engines, their primary interest is ENGINES. Their primary interest is NOT cars. People that love cars may not care what they are powered by or how they sound, so long as they go fast and look nice. There is a BIG difference between a car nut and an engine nut.
Thank you for your well thought out reply, and I completely understand your position on the matter. I've been working on cars my whole life and I've always been keen to new technology, being a dealer tech. I got excited about all the enhancements, seeing our engines go from computer controlled feedback carburetors all the way up to our current crop of Multi-Air and direct injected engines. The Fiat/Chrysler Multi-Air held a lot of promise as the intake valves were now driven hydraulically and controlled by a solenoid. The camshaft merely became an oil pump and lift and duration were computer controlled. This has tremendous implications to the performance of an engine and you could literally remap the camshaft profile digitally. I'm as much of an engine nut as anyone.

However, also being a transmission tech, I see the OEM's desire for an electrified powertrain as the current crop of 8, 9, and 10 speed transmission have yielded a host of driveability complaints from all manufacturers. Take the 392 Charger. No matter what temperature it is, the torque converter locks at 5 mph, and the transmission then shifts through the locked converter. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that on a 10 degree morning with cold, sticky viscous fluid this isn't an easy or gentle act to perform and the first couple shifts that car makes feels rather like a beginning driver's first time with a manual transmission. So the complaints pile in. Computer flashes and TSB's go out. Buy backs ensue.

Having a single, or multiple motors in the powertrain is a driveability engineer's wet dream. The motors provide torque from 0 rpm with no shifting. The complete driving experience is mapped right to the gas pedal with nary a delay, shudder, lag, or what have you.

So I can see both sides of the argument. However I can assure you our beloved engines will exist for a very long time alongside their silent brethren.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

gruntguru wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:02 pm The internet is full of EV "channels" but it doesn't need to be "US vs THEM". There are a lot of racers, tuners etc who are interested in where EV tech is going and want to discuss it with like minded folk. These people have "done it right" they "have their own channel". It is called "Electric & Hybrid Vehicle".

Bagging EV's, banning EV discussion from Speed Talk will not bring one cent into your business - not now and not in 30 years time when gasoline cars have disappeared from showrooms. Electric will go the way the DRIVING PUBLIC wants. They will vote with their wallet and are already starting to do so.

Gasoline powered vehicles and the tuning industry will be around for a long time. People still ride horses don't they?
i wonder how welcoming an ICE champion would be on those EV sites? ya, not

its a cult, you have to be in the cult, you cant go there and point out issues or problems, or even ways to fix them............you get banned. its all or none with them

and i have a hybrid, you dont....but you're all for everyone else driving them still right?
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

Monzsta wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:38 pm
nitro2 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:42 am

Thank you for your well thought out reply, and I completely understand your position on the matter. I've been working on cars my whole life and I've always been keen to new technology, being a dealer tech. I got excited about all the enhancements, seeing our engines go from computer controlled feedback carburetors all the way up to our current crop of Multi-Air and direct injected engines. The Fiat/Chrysler Multi-Air held a lot of promise as the intake valves were now driven hydraulically and controlled by a solenoid. The camshaft merely became an oil pump and lift and duration were computer controlled. This has tremendous implications to the performance of an engine and you could literally remap the camshaft profile digitally. I'm as much of an engine nut as anyone.

However, also being a transmission tech, I see the OEM's desire for an electrified powertrain as the current crop of 8, 9, and 10 speed transmission have yielded a host of driveability complaints from all manufacturers. Take the 392 Charger. No matter what temperature it is, the torque converter locks at 5 mph, and the transmission then shifts through the locked converter. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that on a 10 degree morning with cold, sticky viscous fluid this isn't an easy or gentle act to perform and the first couple shifts that car makes feels rather like a beginning driver's first time with a manual transmission. So the complaints pile in. Computer flashes and TSB's go out. Buy backs ensue.

Having a single, or multiple motors in the powertrain is a driveability engineer's wet dream. The motors provide torque from 0 rpm with no shifting. The complete driving experience is mapped right to the gas pedal with nary a delay, shudder, lag, or what have you.

So I can see both sides of the argument. However I can assure you our beloved engines will exist for a very long time alongside their silent brethren.
You think they'll be around a for a very long time? even if the greenies outlaw them. look around , see what they want , then say that again
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

EV's have been around since the 1830's

same issue then as now,,range and not practical. but of course the government could make it practical, but you would think after almost 200 years they would have got the thing figured out. Elon Musk made them cool again.....its a status symbol to own one. very very few that own one, have it as their only vehicle...because its not practical.

unless you do the same route every day, and return home with enough charge so you can recharge,,you will be ok..no real cold weather either.

no way in hell can you just decide to take an unknown route for a nice day of exploring... :lol: they are perfect for citidiots
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

gmrocket wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:57 pmits a cult, you have to be in the cult, you cant go there and point out issues or problems, or even ways to fix them............you get banned. its all or none with them
Banned? Surely no one would ever want to ban a Sweet Old Boy like you?
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

gmrocket wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:10 pm- same issue then as now,,range and not practical.
- Elon Musk made them cool again.....its a status symbol to own one.
- very very few that own one, have it as their only vehicle...because its not practical.
- unless you do the same route every day, and return home with enough charge so you can recharge,,you will be ok..
- no real cold weather either.
- no way in hell can you just decide to take an unknown route for a nice day of exploring... :lol:
- they are perfect for citidiots
Ask Bill McGuire. https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/the ... g-a-tesla/
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

Very interesting to me there are car guys and engine guys. I always thought they were mutual. Until I met a driver who could drive the wheels off anything but couldn’t turn a screwdriver to save his life.

Or the engine guy who hated to drive. Just point A to B please. The drive meant nothing to him. Put him in a car with one of his engines though and boy did he perk up lol.

I think with EV it will be more of the later. Average car guy won’t care how it goes fast, just that it does. The guy tinkering with controllers, batteries and the like will be the new “engine guy”
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

I personally daily drive AMG v8’s because I’m old and do a lot of longer ski trips in the northeast. In Finland, I drive a plug-in hybrid GLE 350 de because of its extreme range with battery and tank full, not available in the US. Just ordered a Tesla Model S Plaid as my daughter is getting a license and she will have to drive a lot of short trips for school, swimming practices, and ski-team practices.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
2seater

Post by 2seater »

For approximately two years, I had my mind made up to add an electric vehicle to my stable. This was the year before and the first year of the pandemic. It was to be summer only so AWD was not a requirement. Due to my location, the choices were very slim as to what could be found at dealerships but over that period of time I had the opportunity to sample several offerings from both foreign and domestic makers, including a used Tesla model 3. I am blind in one eye, so blind spots are a big issue with me and I couldn't find anything that had decent sight lines. Truly a disappointment. As my father taught me, out of all bad comes a little good, and I now find I am glad I needed to change my focus. I settled on my first hybrid instead. The Ford Maverick intrigued me as a practical replacement for a couple of vehicles. It has almost identical dimensions to my 25 year old Ford Ranger 4wd, which is a sometimes woods truck and a full time winter driver. I waited over 18 months for my hybrid Maverick Lariat to be delivered. It has only been a month since delivery but I find it makes so much sense. I don't drive in ECO modes or any of the hybrid behavior that drives many other drivers crazy. I just drive it. First tank of fuel was a little hard to figure the mileage since I wasn't certain when the dealer actually filled the tank but it had 28miles on it at delivery. In any case, my first fillup at 515miles used 13 gallons. I was shocked as this even included a short run at 100- mph on my way home from pickup. 65% indicated on the power use meter at that speed. Not smart perhaps, but pretty easy to ease into it on a nine mile long straight stretch. Nearing the end of the second tank now at 917 total miles with an estimated 137 miles remaining, pretty much mimicking the first tank. The tank only holds 13.8 gallons. After just this short time, I note that it doesn't require a huge national infrastructure for charging every 100 miles, relative to the old 4.0 Ranger, it is easily as quick and more comfortable, it has about the same cubic volume in the bed with cover, easily does double the hiway mileage and triple or more the urban mileage. It is a summer only, so the FWD is just fine, and I can head out a trip with no concern for where and when to charge the battery. The future future may be electric, but for now, hybrid seems to make a lot of sense.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

As an add to the discussion on why I don't want to drive an EV:
1. Recently I had to get involved in the power connection of my daughters new home to the grid. Question from her was: "Dad what amount of current I would need". I said, ask for 63A on a 3f grid connection. That will put you on the safe side for the EU's plan for mass implementation of EV's and the fact that you will need 2 cars as both of you will have to work to get the bills paid. In addition they will be banned from using gas or heating oil for heating, so only heat pumps. Answer from the Utility: impossible. Turns out that all the residential grids over here are fitted with 3f 25mm² cables which are good for 95A and to this cable, something like 100 house holds are connected. Let that sink in for a minute:
95A on 3f means a total power supply of 64,74 kW, which equals 64,74 kWh per hour. That equals 1.584 kWh in 24 hour....for 100 households....this means on average 15,84 kWh per household per day. Put that against the 20 kWh that an EV consumes every 100 km and you know where this is heading.

2. The kind of power that is needed to make all cars electric by 2035 is like 30 GWh every year. The power for heat pumps in all houses is another 60 GWh. Put that against the ca. 80 GWh we currently consume and you know there will be a problem to produce this with renewables alone.

3. Lets consider the charging because I can see the answer coming: go to a supercharging station. Ok, but hold on. A regular gas station over here has like 6 pumps in total. Filling up a car with gas or diesel takes like 2 minutes and you have range of 1000 km. So that means that every hour 30 cars or 720 cars per day can be 'filled' up for another 1000 km of driving range. A supercharger station can charge a car in like 30 minutes or so. This means 2 cars per charger per hour or 48 cars in total per day. ....big big big difference....

This whole EV idea is going absolutely nowhere.
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

Belgian1979 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:42 am3. Lets consider the charging because I can see the answer coming: go to a supercharging station. Ok, but hold on. A regular gas station over here has like 6 pumps in total. Filling up a car with gas or diesel takes like 2 minutes and you have range of 1000 km. So that means that every hour 30 cars or 720 cars per day can be 'filled' up for another 1000 km of driving range. A supercharger station can charge a car in like 30 minutes or so. This means 2 cars per charger per hour or 48 cars in total per day. ....big big big difference....
Your daughter might need to go to a charging station if she can't get enough charge into the car at home. That doesn't mean 100% of current gas station fill-ups will have to be done at charging stations. Currently the great majority of charging is done at home or work and that probably won't change as EVs take over.

Adding extra public chargers is nothing like adding a gas or diesel pump. You don't need massive underground tanks for a start. Chargers can be added very simply to car parks almost anywhere - charge the car while you do the shopping or ride the train to work.
Really? You know the number one selling car in the world is a Tesla don't you? That is the tip of the iceberg - the big auto manufacturers have all nominated a date where they will cease making combustion cars.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

gruntguru wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:36 am
Your daughter might need to go to a charging station if she can't get enough charge into the car at home. That doesn't mean 100% of current gas station fill-ups will have to be done at charging stations. Currently the great majority of charging is done at home or work and that probably won't change as EVs take over.

Adding extra public chargers is nothing like adding a gas or diesel pump. You don't need massive underground tanks for a start. Chargers can be added very simply to car parks almost anywhere - charge the car while you do the shopping or ride the train to work.
A well intended Uni Prof in Melbourne bought an EV 2 years ago, when she can't park it out the front of her inner suburbian house for charging she goes to a charging station and takes a book to read. Her next car won't be an EV.
gruntguru wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:36 am Really? You know the number one selling car in the world is a Tesla don't you? That is the tip of the iceberg - the big auto manufacturers have all nominated a date where they will cease making combustion cars.
Yer, sorta funny, only a few years ago nobody was buying Sedans and manufacturers were shutting down Sedan lines, Now the best selling cars are Sedanish looking things but using batteries for propulsion.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Belgian1979 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:42 am3. Lets consider the charging because I can see the answer coming: go to a supercharging station. Ok, but hold on. A regular gas station over here has like 6 pumps in total. Filling up a car with gas or diesel takes like 2 minutes and you have range of 1000 km. So that means that every hour 30 cars or 720 cars per day can be 'filled' up for another 1000 km of driving range. A supercharger station can charge a car in like 30 minutes or so. This means 2 cars per charger per hour or 48 cars in total per day. ....big big big difference....

Really? You know the number one selling car in the world is a Tesla don't you? That is the tip of the iceberg - the big auto manufacturers have all nominated a date where they will cease making combustion cars.
It seems you don't even get a grasp of what I wrote. Read it again and maybe then you'll understand.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Tom68 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:54 am

A well intended Uni Prof in Melbourne bought an EV 2 years ago, when she can't park it out the front of her inner suburbian house for charging she goes to a charging station and takes a book to read. Her next car won't be an EV.
gruntguru wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:36 am Really? You know the number one selling car in the world is a Tesla don't you? That is the tip of the iceberg - the big auto manufacturers have all nominated a date where they will cease making combustion cars.
Yer, sorta funny, only a few years ago nobody was buying Sedans and manufacturers were shutting down Sedan lines, Now the best selling cars are Sedanish looking things but using batteries for propulsion.
Tesla is a joke. Over here they had their superchargers connector to 32 kW generators. Hidden out of sight. Go figure.

But I guess we can all do the same and charge our EV's at home with a generator or put them on a trailer behind our EV's lol.