We are currently running on the new domain and server: www.Speed-Talk.com

IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/
(Right-click the URL and select "Bookmark this link")

An EV battery that could last 1 million miles

Anything to do with the electric or hybrid world

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: An EV battery that could last 1 million miles

Post by pdq67 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:26 pm

I like to read Sci-Fi so will wait until we create capacitor type energy storage methods.

Not battery type storage methods.

pdq67

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:26 pm

pdq67 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:26 pm
I like to read Sci-Fi so will wait until we create capacitor type energy storage methods. Not battery type storage methods. pdq67
You're an old guy and still believe in magic? I have in my basement a glass cylinder with a ceramic lid with a hole in the top. It's an original Thomas Edison R.S. Signal wet cell battery used for powering telegraphs. For the past 150 years, it's a straight line development from that glass cylinder to today's LiOn batteries. Wouldn't the superiority of capacitor storage emerge somewhere in that time?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:41 pm

peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:58 pm

PackardV8 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:26 pm
pdq67 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:26 pm
I like to read Sci-Fi so will wait until we create capacitor type energy storage methods. Not battery type storage methods. pdq67
You're an old guy and still believe in magic? I have in my basement a glass cylinder with a ceramic lid with a hole in the top. It's an original Thomas Edison R.S. Signal wet cell battery used for powering telegraphs. For the past 150 years, it's a straight line development from that glass cylinder to today's LiOn batteries. Wouldn't the superiority of capacitor storage emerge somewhere in that time?
Different demands, maybe? A capacitor in theory might charge a whole lot faster than a battery. That hasn't ever really been the goal of battery R&D in the face of trying to get more juice in a smaller space/weight.