Is it illegal??

Anything to do with the electric or hybrid world

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Is it illegal??

Post by pdq67 »

I want to know SO I will start a new thread!!

I have to ask is all???

Is it illegal to remove the electric equipment in a 1st Gen. Honda Insight and drive it using only its gasoline powertrain???

If I can even find a good one to modify??

Or say any ICE/Electric Hybrids?

I ask this because if not mistaken, the 1st Gen. Insight got like 60 mpg using just the little 3-banger gas engine...

SO why nor remove all the electric crap and run it on just the gas engine for mileage?

pdq67
lefty o
Guru
Guru
Re: Is it illegal??

Post by lefty o »

interesting question. logic would say no, but i would almost guarantee some greenieweenie considers it "emissions equipment". :?
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

lefty o wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:18 pm interesting question. logic would say no, but i would almost guarantee some greenieweenie considers it "emissions equipment". :?
Probably right lefty o, but imho, if the ICE's pollution control system is still in place and working, I can't see how the electric's enters into emission control because it has NO emissions?

I guess I need to contact MO's Air Pollution Control Program where I worked before I retired and ask whoever is handling Vehicle Inspection/Maintenance questions now?

pdq67
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Technically it would be because you are altering the drivetrain, which is Federally illegal on any on road car.

I have driven "de-IMAed" Insights and they still get 60mpg if you drive them right. You have to replace the starter on occasion, it's not meant to be used very much.

Now. People have put Honda K20 and K24 engines in these guys. Apparently a bone stock 200hp K24 (find an Acura TSX and bring wrenches) with a quiet exhaust in an Insight will be a 12 second car. And still get 50mpg.
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

:D I vote for a DeSoto hemi, Paul!

HB
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

enigma57 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:10 pm :D I vote for a DeSoto hemi, Paul!

HB
My Buddy, Dickey, that helped me put the 232" Stude. V-8 and stick/od tranny in my 1st '52 Willys Aero Eagle hard top car, back in HS early '60s here, had a '56 Desoto with hemi and a push button trans. At around a 100 mph, its radio antenna would bend back and hit the top of his car and sound like a machinegun going off.

Scared hell out of us the 1st time he had us in his car that fast.

The sucker would run!!

Old Desoto was just getting its legs at 100 mph!!

pdq67