We are currently running on the new domain and server: www.Speed-Talk.com

IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/
(Right-click the URL and select "Bookmark this link")

Charging-at-a-Distance-While-in-Motion?

Anything to do with the electric or hybrid world

Moderator: Team

GLHS60
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 1083
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:55 am
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Re: Charging-at-a-Distance-While-in-Motion?

Post by GLHS60 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:46 pm

It's been said there is a fine line between genius and insanity!!

I concede your education and search abilities undoubtedly far exceed mine.

My discussion is based in honesty as I have/will/ provide counter proof.

Strangely, when I looked at your application I wasn't able to find your quote.

I don't doubt your sentence is somewhere in the link, just I couldn't find it.

What I did find is this sentence:

"emitted to counteract sounds produced when cylinders of a multi-cylinder engine"

This caused me to re-read and re-read your post then I noticed...

It's conveniently placed low in your quote and unseen unless fully scrolled.

I didn't see the "shadow banned part" until I re-scrolled your post quote.

I don't even know how you shadow banned that part or why you did?

I'll assume internet trickery is below your level of integrity.

Thanks
Randy


Kevin Johnson wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:03 am
GLHS60 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:02 am
The point is Audi, BMW and Mercedes all call their Engines -- Engines.

The learned can fudge it if they want, but the motor car companies do not.

If motor were a logical synonym, at times a motor car company would use it.

...
Cough. 2018

https://patents.google.com/patent/US10380988B1/en
Noise cancellation may be employed to cancel out undesirable sounds associated with, for example, deactivating one or more cylinders of a multi-cylinder motor.

...

The desired noise cancellation signal may also be below the audible frequency range. In an example, the desired noise cancellation signal may be emitted to counteract sounds produced when cylinders of a multi-cylinder engine (not shown) are deactivated.
Oddly, all the authors listed on the patent live in Michigan; employed by GM (General Motors).

!?!!

:wink: :lol:


https://www.linkedin.com/in/frank-valeri-8499096/
https://www.designnews.com/content/concert-hall-cadillac/109980178953908 wrote: ... says Scott Reilly, noise integration engineer for Cadillac's luxury car division.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ericdefenderfer/
Sherwood Park
Alberta,Canada
There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

GRTfast
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 4494
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am
Location:

Re: Charging-at-a-Distance-While-in-Motion?

Post by GRTfast » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:11 pm

GLHS60 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:46 pm
It's been said there is a fine line between genius and insanity!!

I concede your education and search abilities undoubtedly far exceed mine.

My discussion is based in honesty as I have/will/ provide counter proof.

Strangely, when I looked at your application I wasn't able to find your quote.

I don't doubt your sentence is somewhere in the link, just I couldn't find it.

What I did find is this sentence:

"emitted to counteract sounds produced when cylinders of a multi-cylinder engine"

This caused me to re-read and re-read your post then I noticed...

It's conveniently placed low in your quote and unseen unless fully scrolled.

I didn't see the "shadow banned part" until I re-scrolled your post quote.

I don't even know how you shadow banned that part or why you did?

I'll assume internet trickery is below your level of integrity.

Thanks
Randy


Kevin Johnson wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:03 am
GLHS60 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:02 am
The point is Audi, BMW and Mercedes all call their Engines -- Engines.

The learned can fudge it if they want, but the motor car companies do not.

If motor were a logical synonym, at times a motor car company would use it.

...
Cough. 2018

https://patents.google.com/patent/US10380988B1/en
Noise cancellation may be employed to cancel out undesirable sounds associated with, for example, deactivating one or more cylinders of a multi-cylinder motor.

...

The desired noise cancellation signal may also be below the audible frequency range. In an example, the desired noise cancellation signal may be emitted to counteract sounds produced when cylinders of a multi-cylinder engine (not shown) are deactivated.
Oddly, all the authors listed on the patent live in Michigan; employed by GM (General Motors).

!?!!

:wink: :lol:


https://www.linkedin.com/in/frank-valeri-8499096/
https://www.designnews.com/content/concert-hall-cadillac/109980178953908 wrote: ... says Scott Reilly, noise integration engineer for Cadillac's luxury car division.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ericdefenderfer/
Dude... you prefer to call the machine that powers a car by converting the chemical energy in the fuel to heat, and then to rotating motion an engine.. AND this type of engine is a motor. These are FACTS.

This doesn't have anything to do with logic.

Why is it such a sticking point for you? Call it an engine all you like, I usually do as well. Despite anything you say, when someone calls it a motor, they are not wrong AT ALL and they are not being illogical AT ALL.

/thread
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 8801
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:41 am
Location:

Re: Charging-at-a-Distance-While-in-Motion?

Post by Kevin Johnson » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:47 pm

The quotes can be found more succinctly if you download the pdf: Column 3 lines 63-66 and column 4 lines 33-36.

I used the ellipsis (...) and spacing in an attempt to illustrate that there was some separation between the sentences in the document. The effect that you are describing is an artifact of the board software.




GLHS60 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:46 pm
It's been said there is a fine line between genius and insanity!!

I concede your education and search abilities undoubtedly far exceed mine.

My discussion is based in honesty as I have/will/ provide counter proof.

Strangely, when I looked at your application I wasn't able to find your quote.

I don't doubt your sentence is somewhere in the link, just I couldn't find it.

What I did find is this sentence:

"emitted to counteract sounds produced when cylinders of a multi-cylinder engine"

This caused me to re-read and re-read your post then I noticed...

It's conveniently placed low in your quote and unseen unless fully scrolled.

I didn't see the "shadow banned part" until I re-scrolled your post quote.

I don't even know how you shadow banned that part or why you did?

I'll assume internet trickery is below your level of integrity.

Thanks
Randy


Kevin Johnson wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:03 am
GLHS60 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:02 am
The point is Audi, BMW and Mercedes all call their Engines -- Engines.

The learned can fudge it if they want, but the motor car companies do not.

If motor were a logical synonym, at times a motor car company would use it.

...
Cough. 2018

https://patents.google.com/patent/US10380988B1/en
Noise cancellation may be employed to cancel out undesirable sounds associated with, for example, deactivating one or more cylinders of a multi-cylinder motor.

...

The desired noise cancellation signal may also be below the audible frequency range. In an example, the desired noise cancellation signal may be emitted to counteract sounds produced when cylinders of a multi-cylinder engine (not shown) are deactivated.
Oddly, all the authors listed on the patent live in Michigan; employed by GM (General Motors).

!?!!

:wink: :lol:


https://www.linkedin.com/in/frank-valeri-8499096/
https://www.designnews.com/content/concert-hall-cadillac/109980178953908 wrote: ... says Scott Reilly, noise integration engineer for Cadillac's luxury car division.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ericdefenderfer/

GLHS60
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 1083
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:55 am
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Re: Charging-at-a-Distance-While-in-Motion?

Post by GLHS60 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:50 am

I didn't mean to sound like I was accusing you of anything.

I'm not very internet or computer savvy but appreciate the discussion.

It continually amazes me how you come up with such obscure information!!

Still, I think your searching often helps me with my very simple viewpoint.

Current motor car companies only ever say Engine, unless talking electric.

Brochures, advertisements, manuals etc, etc always specify Engine specs.

Your patent info no doubt was prepared by educated lawyers/assistants.

The same patent uses the multi cyl Engine and motor term as you provided.

Like dictionaries, they seem to speak in general terms covering all bases.

The motor car companies haven't been confusing the two since the 1940's.

From the 1950's on they never use the word motor, when talking Engines.

They continually assert there's no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

I very simply agree with their obvious, logical assertions.

I have nothing outstanding or unusual to prove.

I simply agree with the motor car companies.

I'm not enlightened enough to disagree.

Thanks
Randy
Sherwood Park
Alberta,Canada
There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

GRTfast
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 4494
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am
Location:

Re: Charging-at-a-Distance-While-in-Motion?

Post by GRTfast » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:06 am

GLHS60 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:50 am
I didn't mean to sound like I was accusing you of anything.

I'm not very internet or computer savvy but appreciate the discussion.

It continually amazes me how you come up with such obscure information!!

Still, I think your searching often helps me with my very simple viewpoint.

Current motor car companies only ever say Engine, unless talking electric.

Brochures, advertisements, manuals etc, etc always specify Engine specs.

Your patent info no doubt was prepared by educated lawyers/assistants.

The same patent uses the multi cyl Engine and motor term as you provided.

Like dictionaries, they seem to speak in general terms covering all bases.

The motor car companies haven't been confusing the two since the 1940's.

From the 1950's on they never use the word motor, when talking Engines.

They continually assert there's no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

I very simply agree with their obvious, logical assertions.

I have nothing outstanding or unusual to prove.

I simply agree with the motor car companies.

I'm not enlightened enough to disagree.

Thanks
Randy
There is no confusion with the two terms. All internal combustion engines are motors. This is an indisputable fact that you seem to be unable to acknowledge.

Calling an internal combustion engine a motor is less specific, just as calling a blue-jay a bird is less specific. Neither is wrong or illogical. In the context of hotrods and race cars, literally everyone knows what is meant when someone says "motor", just like everyone knows what is meant when someone "bird" at a blue-jay sanctuary.
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens

Post Reply