Charging-at-a-Distance-While-in-Motion?

Anything to do with the electric or hybrid world

Moderator: Team

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Charging-at-a-Distance-While-in-Motion?

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Be sure to read the replies. If you are drinking a hot beverage, you have been warned.

https://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/13488 ... d=84084126
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
gruntguru
Guru
Guru
Re: Charging-at-a-Distance-While-in-Motion?

Post by gruntguru »

:lol: :lol:
I was trying to identify "exhaustgases" among that lot. I decided he is posting in that forum under multiple pseudonyms.
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

No no no. Motors are not engines. Engines however - are motors.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

It has already been done.

GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

GLHS60 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:33 am Incorrect but we don't have to agree on everything!!

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Thanks
Randy
gruntguru wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:07 am No no no. Motors are not engines. Engines however - are motors.
An engine is a type of motor. This is just a fact.

A motor is a machine that converts other forms of energy into mechanical energy and so imparts motion. An engine is a motor that converts thermal energy to mechanical work.

Not all motors are engines, but EVERY engine is a motor.
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

Tell me Randy, is there a logical reason to call a chicken a bird?
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

GLHS60 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:12 pm There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

You can make all the excuses you want but the fact remains

Thanks
Randy
Yes there is. An engine is a type of motor.

That is a fact that you can not dispute unless you do not use the common definition of those words. Why are you so stuck on this issue?
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

GLHS60 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:31 am It would somewhat depend on how many birds one has.

Presently we are mostly automobile enthusiasts on an automobile forum.

I think its safe to assume most of us own, repair, drive or race automobiles.

Without me even knowing your name or where you live I know something.

I know the automobile you own, or owned, or repair, or drive, or race....

I know most likely what ever the make or model, gasoline or brown...

Whether carbureted Turbocharged or with power steering or rear defog..

Front wheel drive, ex taxi, leather interior, pickup, or blue in color..

The one thing I know with remarkable accuracy is your automobile ...

No doubt, with a high degree of confidence, bordering on absolute certainty,

Your automobile, the very one I'm talking about now, right now that it has

Several motors, possibly a starter motor, heater motor, window or fan motor

But said automobile, flush with motors, most certainly has one Engine.

Considering what I know about your automobile, I still maintain...

You can make all the excuses you want but the fact remains

Thanks
Randy
A modern car has many motors, one of them is an engine. Do you deny this fact?
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

Not a single instance you have quoted is proof that engines are not members of the "motor" family.

I could use the same reasoning to deny that chickens are birds.

I go to the supermarket to shop for one of the hundreds of chicken products on sale - chickens, chicken breast, chicken thighs, chicken soup . . . . . Not one of them says "bird" anywhere on the packaging. Strangely none of the manufacturers refer to their products as "bird" either. No advertising for chicken products ever refers to the product as a "bird".

There is a reason for this. People want to know what kind of bird is in the packet - is it duck, goose, turkey, pheasant, quail, spatchcock, emu or chicken. It is NOT because chickens are not birds - I can assure you they are.

You are entitled to call engines "engines" and refuse to ever refer to them as motors. You are not entitled to correct others when they refer to them as motors, because they are indeed motors - the dictionary says so, and engineering terminology convention says so.

A lot of funny things have happened to the english language. An interesting one is the word "wreck". I believe in America, it is the most commonly used term for a motor vehicle collision. In Australia, the UK and traditionally in the english language a "wreck" is the damaged remains of a vessel or vehicle. We refer to a vehicle accident as a crash, a smash or an accident - never a "wreck". Nevertheless, you are entitled to continue to call motor vehicle accidents "wrecks" and I won't try to correct you. I call them something else because the people around here would be confused if I call then "wrecks".

Does this label convince you that "chicken" is not "poultry"? Please don't read my lips, just read what comes after "Valley Poultry".
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

No one is disputing the terminology Ford uses - it is indeed an engine.

This has nothing to do with logic. Its the dictionary. The dictionary says an engine is a type of motor. The dictionary says a chicken is a type of bird. There is no "logical" reason to call a chicken a bird. We only do so because that's what the dictionary says.

https://engineering.mit.edu/engage/ask- ... an-engine/
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Engine means system.

Motors create motion.

most words are slang, so, whatever,
but it is possible to talk in a way that can be understood with greatest ease,
and then there is using industry specific jargon which nobody in the future and/or outside your specialty will understand.

A political engine or a search engine is not a type of motor.
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

modok wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:10 am Engine means system.

Motors create motion.

most words are slang, so, whatever,
but it is possible to talk in a way that can be understood with greatest ease,
and then there is using industry specific jargon which nobody in the future and/or outside your specialty will understand.

A political engine or a search engine is not a type of motor.
Internal combustion engines are heat engines. Heat engines are a type of motor because they are machines that convert energy to motion.

Car engines (the type being discussed in this thread) are motors. Extremely long winded posts conflating the issue for some unknown personal peeve do not change this fact.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Motor_IS_the LOGICAL_name_Q_E_D.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Henry Ford, circa 1922 wrote:In 1892 I completed my first motor car, but it was not until the spring of the following year that it ran to my satisfaction. This first car had something of the appearance of a buggy. There were two cylinders with a two-and-a-half-inch bore and a six-inch stroke set side by side and over the rear axle. I made them out of the exhaust pipe of a steam engine that I had bought. They developed about four horsepower. The power was transmitted from the motor to the countershaft by a belt and from the countershaft to the rear wheel by a chain.
Apparently, Henry Ford knew very well what an engine and a motor were.

Q.E.D.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alas, these modern whippersnappers...

Don't make me invoke the S.A.E.

:lol:
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

GLHS60 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:17 pm There you go again picking on our ancestors before they knew any better.

Please enlighten us on what always comes up when searching Lycoming

Now prove yourself honest and post something from Lycoming after 1930.

And please don't follow up with your old Henry Ford quotes.

We well know Mr Ford was barely literate even though he built an Empire.

Thanks
Randy
Ten years prior to Mr. Ford's treatise, professional automotive engineers were using motor and engine synonymously. You can prove this to yourself by searching S.A.E. papers -- as I have already done and presented.

The logical reason to call an engine a motor is to avoid the fallacy of equivocation.