VW ramps up EV production.

Anything to do with the electric or hybrid world

Moderator: Team

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: VW ramps up EV production.

Post by MadBill »

Yes, a friend of a friend has a Tesla 3 and in our cold winters (down to ~ -20° F.) she has to plug it in early in the evening to get enough charge for the trip to work and back the next day..
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

What strikes me is that those EV afficienados really dislike it when you rain on their parade...
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

Staggering that these multi-billion dollar auto-makers haven't thought of this stuff!
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Wonder how long it will take for EV subsidies to be replaced by road taxes? In Ontario at present, the four applicable gasoline taxes make up ~ 35% of the pump price.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was just thinking about this!

Another ol', "pdq67", true story!!

I have learned through years that the more I conserved, the more it cost me!

THEY have to get their pound of flesh out of us regardless just to keep Gov. growing and THEM not producing real money.

I conserve gas and gas prices AND fuel/road TAXES go up!

Conserve on my electric bill, my power bill goes up.

Save water and my water and sewer costs go up!!

I don't call anybody and my phone bill goes up!!

I bet that if we all rode bicycles everywhere that THEY would tax us a $1,000 or more a year just so we could ride them.

I love it that if I was OFF the GRID, that I would still have to pay for access that I am not using!!

Oh, and btw, I think that I can live in a shed/garage tax free unless it has water in it, then it gets taxed as a home/business?? Probably have to pay minimal property tax is all at the end of the year?

I might buy an old junk 12 x 60 trailer in the poor part of town, then pound a swallow well and use a pitcher pump, then burn wood and use coal oil for light. Build a, "camouflaged", outhouse so nobody pays any attention. Either this or go eat breakfast every morning at McD's!! Then drive a 20 year old beater as well as work for myself and get paid in CASH!!

My Dad before he died, knew he was sick so got us out of Champaign, IL in '59 and over to MO on a farm.

Well Mom ended up having to sell the farm because my older sister and I left it.
My other sister and brother were just kids.

Anyway, Mom moved to town in '66, and couldn't buy a house because there weren't any for sale so she bought a top of the line 12' x 60' trailer with a pull out and a wooden door and had to put it in the poor part of town because there weren't any trailer lots that it would fit on in the better part of town. She lived in it until she broke her hip and died in 2002. She was happy as a clam AND my Nephew owns her trailer now. She bought new cheap cars because she didn't want to get screwed by dealerships and mechanics.

My Mom taught me that I CAN live cheap if I want to....

pdq67
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

All because of the tax incentives. We all know how long tax incentives last...not long, so this will end soon, especially with the covid-19 crisis emptying the gov coffers...

As a matter of a fact, in my country the gov has decided to start a new pricing system for electricity in which you pay extra for peak power you consume. Imagine having to connect an EV to the grid :lol: Luckily I stuck with my V6 bitdi.

Anyway, this doesn't only affect EV's. It also affects solar panel systems as they create their own peak surges on the net.
Luckily I programmed a PLC system to make sure that this wouldn't happen, even at the expense of destroying solar generated energy (bit of a side effect of subsidized solar power of the 2010-2011 era which makes it possible to still earn money on solar power even if you destroy the power after it is generated).

I once tried to explain to someone that subsidizing never works as it, per definition, will always subsidize the wrong solutions. Most people don't seem to understand that concept however :roll:
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

Belgian1979 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:57 pmAs a matter of a fact, in my country the gov has decided to start a new pricing system for electricity in which you pay extra for peak power you consume. Imagine having to connect an EV to the grid :lol:
Which is actually one of the advantages of EVs. Charging can be done any time the vehicle is not being driven ie 23 out of 24 hours for most vehicles. Which means charging can be aligned with cheap off-peak energy periods. The future will be smart meters allowing consumers to decide when to purchase their electricity.
I once tried to explain to someone that subsidizing never works as it, per definition, will always subsidize the wrong solutions. Most people don't seem to understand that concept however :roll:
Agree 100%. Most people (including myself) have no idea what is and isn't subsidised - nor what hidden costs might be present - things like exploitation of foreign workers, environmental damage, health issues . . . .
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

I don't think it will be a benefit, as you work during day hours (when the sun shines and pv systems make electricity)and plug in their cars right away when you get home (when the price is high). With the slow charging rate present in residential installations and if you do any kind of mileage, you will have to charge the entire night.

The only thing the govs care about is money.