Future Non static battery placement

Anything to do with the electric or hybrid world

Moderator: Team

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Future Non static battery placement

Post by j-c-c »

So not exactly in the vein of structural battery utilization, maybe heading the alternative direction?

My thinking, here out loud, batteries are a large part of vehicle mass with electrics, beyond the motor itself. It seems it needs to be always considered the battery has a useful limited lifespan, and replacement at least once will be required. Because of its mass and density, its placement on the vehicle is always a consideration, lower, and more centered being normal goals. It also is likely somewhat conformable in final shape, ie, doesn't need to need to be a single unit/mass.

So with new electric PU's on the horizon, which will need greater battery capacity (meaning size/weight) than many current typical auto offerings, and the fact most PU's have higher ground clearance, and my observations most PU operate at effectively zero load carry at 50% of the time ( this number is just my guess), leads me the following questions/idea.

Would an underslung, relatively flat, single unit battery pack, be a significant advantage in ride, handling, aero, replacement, safety, etc, if it was was dynamically moveable to optimise the COG for varying load and/or driving conditions? My thinking in beginning development, the battery movement would be very slow, but if found later to be real world effective, speed of movement of the battery could be increased, almost like a side rider on motorcycle racing sidecar. As electrical technology is improved in capacity/density, using another electrical motor for main battery movement would be an easy adaption. It seems active suspension could address many of the above concerns, with greater complexity, but not as well in the end, as optimized COG is hard to mimic?
gruntguru
Guru
Guru
Re: Future Non static battery placement

Post by gruntguru »

The CG shift obtained by moving the battery several inches could also be obtained by moving the wheels (suspension) by a much smaller distance. None of the makers seem to think it is worth the expense.
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

Yes it would have an effect, but my thinking much less, much more complicated, and would directly effect the drivers perception of turning, overhang,aero balance etc, and I suspect for the average driver, a potential driving hazard. Regarding no manufacturers not feeling its a worthwhile goal currently, at one time, nobody felt streamlining an outside mirror was worthwhile.
Ratu
Expert
Expert

Post by Ratu »

Gruntguru

Please elaborate on how to achieve COG shift by moving the wheels "by a much smaller distance". It sounds interesting.
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

When you move the axles of a car forward or backward, the COG stays (almost) where it is.
Ratu
Expert
Expert

Post by Ratu »

How could a L/R shift be achieved?
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

Move the wheels left or right?
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!