Why would you want a electric car ?

Anything to do with the electric or hybrid world

Moderator: Team

Racer97

Why would you want a electric car ?

Post by Racer97 »

Why would you want a electric car? They use oil to charge them for the most part . Why not just use a fuel efficient gas powered car?
gruntguru
Guru
Guru
Re: Why would you want a electric car ?

Post by gruntguru »

Take a look. Nobody generates electricity from oil any more.

If you are talking about CO2 emissions per mile there have been many studies showing EV's create less CO2 than combustion vehicles - even if the electrity comes from coal.

Why would someone want an electric car? A few reasons:
- lower CO2
- better acceleration
- lower operating cost
- zero tailpipe emissions
- lower city heat load
- quieter
- fewer trips to the gas station (most people fill up at home)

Of course there are downsides:
- higher sticker price
- range
- recharge time

All of which are rapidly improving.
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

For me just using for local commute and never have to pull into a gas station.If I could get a setup to replace the engine in my 2006 Silverado to electric with a couple hundred mile charge I would do it.Tom
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Faster, quicker, smoother, quieter, less expensive to operate. Only those who have never driven one would ask that question.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Racer97

Post by Racer97 »

When you go to the wawa to charge a diesel generator starts to change your " electric " car . Just think it's a scam
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Racer97 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:11 am When you go to the wawa to charge a diesel generator starts to change your " electric " car . Just think it's a scam
Can you provide a link proving this assertion? Ever lame social media reference to this I've found is easily disproved.
This website, which shows a map with various EV charging station locations, includes a special note to say: "These chargers are not run off the diesel generator near the units. That generator is used as back up power for the building."

Contacted by AFP, a spokesperson for Blink, the company listed on the EV charging station, said: "The charging station is not powered by the diesel generator or connected to it.

"To our knowledge, the generator is for emergency lighting and other amenities for the parking lot only and is designed for backup power for the terminal. The generator is not in operation unless there is an emergency, and the main power is off."
At present, 80+% of EV charging is done at home on the grid, 15% is done at work or at free on-grid sites.
Jack Vines
Obsolete Engineering
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

YOU WOULD WANT TO BE ON DRUGS

besides all the down sides everyone is aware of the elephant is , depreciation , not sure if they are subsidies over there but they are hear and even at that they are expensive ,. but for those of you that don't know the hybrid is the same , battery life is around 150k km not miles , so at 130k no one will take it as a trade in , even Toyota stated lately that full electric will not be globally achievable with in 40yrs ,
and for those that don't know the hybrid battery say prius is 4500 euro and in the nissan note full electric its 23000 euro , but the bitch is they are failing inside of the first and second year the manufacture is fighting with loads going to court so with the limited life the depreciation is enormous , and worse still over here if you charge in public it works out the same price as diesel per mile , so that's a benefit of fk all , if you want a fast charge ah hoe u need 3 phase and commercial connection cost .

baa baa said the sheep
Racer97

Post by Racer97 »

PackardV8 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:28 pm
Racer97 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:11 am When you go to the wawa to charge a diesel generator starts to change your " electric " car . Just think it's a scam
Can you provide a link proving this assertion? Ever lame social media reference to this I've found is easily disproved.
This website, which shows a map with various EV charging station locations, includes a special note to say: "These chargers are not run off the diesel generator near the units. That generator is used as back up power for the building."

Contacted by AFP, a spokesperson for Blink, the company listed on the EV charging station, said: "The charging station is not powered by the diesel generator or connected to it.

"To our knowledge, the generator is for emergency lighting and other amenities for the parking lot only and is designed for backup power for the terminal. The generator is not in operation unless there is an emergency, and the main power is off."
At present, 80+% of EV charging is done at home on the grid, 15% is done at work or at free on-grid sites.
The proof is that if you are at the charge station and hear a diesel gen start it's no rocket science it's charging the cars. No wind or solar just BS to me. Sorry
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Racer97 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:10 pm
PackardV8 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:28 pm

The proof is that if you are at the charge station and hear a diesel gen start it's no rocket science it's charging the cars. No wind or solar just BS to me. Sorry
We see you saying this. Why is everyone else on the internet saying what you're saying is BS?

jack vines
Jack Vines
Obsolete Engineering
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

Racer97 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:10 pmThe proof is that if you are at the charge station and hear a diesel gen start it's no rocket science it's charging the cars. No wind or solar just BS to me. Sorry
Thats a big IF. Never happened to me. So - even IF that did happen once - it proves nothing. As Jack said - more than 95% of charging is electricity from the grid - why would anyone pay 4 times the price for electricity from a diesel generator if grid power is available?

Where does grid power come from? This is the worldwide total - renewables are about to overtake natural gas as the number one source of electrons - followed by coal, nuclear and in last place - crude oil.

Racer97

Post by Racer97 »

Just pointing out what happens here in real life. I should have read the internet so I could get the truth. Everyone knows everything on the net is true.
Clemson327

Post by Clemson327 »

I’ve never seen/heard a diesel generator at a Supercharger…not sure what you’re talking about.

As for why, I enjoy the immediate acceleration with no downshifting. It’s quiet and has essentially zero maintenance required other than wipers and tires. I’m able to charge at home and only stop at a charger if we’re on a road trip due to the 250 mile range. With two small kids, this isn’t the inconvenience it would have been a few years ago.
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

if there is no 3phase it has to be done thrugh a generator , the whole west coast of ireland will take 400m to build a network of 3 phase , we have a filling station bang in the middle of the country , we tried for 3pase , its 54poles away thats over 1k a pole at our cost
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

I think most people with them charge them at home.I live in a area that there are sometimes 2 Teslas in a driveway.I see the charging cords plugged into them when I walk my dogs in the AM.Cant believe how many of those thing are around.Tom
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

Racer97 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:53 amJust pointing out what happens here in real life. I should have read the internet so I could get the truth. Everyone knows everything on the net is true.
Where's "here"? Must be the middle of nowhere if they have to fire up a diesel to charge EVs. Diesel electricity generation costs a fortune - about four times the cost of utility scale solar.