Ford EV Truck Towing Mileage

Anything to do with the electric or hybrid world

Moderator: Team

Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Re: Ford EV Truck Towing Mileage

Post by Belgian1979 »

On my son's work they decided to replace their normal work vans with EV types (Fiat Ducato).

Empty range (official, in reality nobody knows and probably different summer/winter/ac/non ac): 200 km
Loaded with tools: 120 km.
With trailer 500 kg: 50 km.
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

Belgian1979 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:44 am On my son's work they decided to replace their normal work vans with EV types (Fiat Ducato).

Empty range (official, in reality nobody knows and probably different summer/winter/ac/non ac): 200 km
Loaded with tools: 120 km.
With trailer 500 kg: 50 km.
Is your son's employer regretting this decision or is this range sufficient for their needs? (Sounds like they might need combustion vehicles when towing is required.)
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Sorry for the late response.
What you have to know is that the govs in the EU and the EU are making it mandatory. Kinda like in the USSR at the time...
So, what do you do? Nothing, get less work done and things will become super expensive....

Anyway; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt7QoHu ... pecReviews
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

He He - welcome to the "lemon" channel. EU plans to ban sale of fossil fuel "Cars and Vans" from 2035. You will still be able to buy a fossil fuel car or van in 2034 - that's 12 years from now.
- Chances are EV's will improve further in the next 12 years. Serious competition is only just beginning.
- You will still be able to buy a fossil fueled truck after 2035.
- You may be able to buy a hydrogen or other alternate fuel "car or van" after 2035.

Or governments could all do it your way. Once global temperature has risen 10* nobody will need cars anyway.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

That's oversimplifying things. A couple of things they are doing right now:
- you cannot deduct company cars with IC engines from 2026 onwards. Only EV's are deductible. The effect is like this: you buy an IC car, the cost cannot be deducted but you'll still have to pay it. The cost is then seen as an margin made on you revenue and you'll get taxed on it. So roughtly the same vehicle will cost about 33% more than it did prior to the obligation.
- We have to take our vehicles to tech control. They are now checking the vehicles for particles emissions versus the EU norm for the vehicle. Almost half of the 2014 Euro 5 norm (with dpf) are failed because of too high particle content.
- extra taxes on fuel.
- fuel becomes hard to get
- manufacturers don't offer new IC cars...

In the end it doesn't matter, it's all going to hell anyway.
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

It is simple actually.
The deduction stuff is called an "incentive". The goal is to help kick start the industry and encourage early adopters.
The emissions testing you mention simply means the cost of environmental degradation is finally being shifted towards the actual cause.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Communist/leftist principles. No more no less. An EV is a bad idea. I've heard the story of increased battery capacity for ten years and we're still at around 400 km max. Towing as shown in the video gets really bad. That's not even taking into account the problems with insufficient grid capacity, insufficient network capacities and so on.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Belgian1979 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:58 pm Communist/leftist principles. No more no less.
[/quote]Karl Marx thoughts predate internal combustion vehicles. The Communist Manifesto has been found to have fatal inconsistencies, preventing implementation, just as the ICE has fatal flaws.
Belgian1979 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:58 pmThat's not even taking into account the problems with insufficient grid capacity, insufficient network capacities and so on.
Even a slight acquaintance with the early days of the ICE would produce similar quotes. There was no infrastructure to produce, distribute and sell gasoline in quantity. That's why steam and electric cars seemed more promising in the first decades of self-propelled vehicles.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

Belgian1979 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:58 pmCommunist/leftist principles.
Thanks . . and here I was thinking "user pays" was a free market principle.
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

Belgian1979 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:58 pmI've heard the story of increased battery capacity for ten years and we're still at around 400 km max.
You haven't been watching have you?

https://insideevs.com/news/464449/media ... 250-miles/
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

gruntguru wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:27 pm
Belgian1979 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:58 pmCommunist/leftist principles.
Thanks . . and here I was thinking "user pays" was a free market principle.
Not when the user pays principle is for fantasy costs. But I can see why this discussion with you is going nowhere :lol:
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

gruntguru wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:33 pm
Belgian1979 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:58 pmI've heard the story of increased battery capacity for ten years and we're still at around 400 km max.

https://insideevs.com/news/464449/media ... 250-miles/
A regular 2012 Tesla (Benchmark) had a battery of 60 kWh (range 300 km), 2013 models went to an 85 kWh battery pack and a range of 425 km (theoretical). If you look at a Nissan leaf you might be in the range of what you're showing. Wouldn't even consider that to be a real car. But again, I can see where this discussion is going nowhere and there is no sense in this. I don't need any threehuggers.
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

Belgian1979 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:28 pm
gruntguru wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:33 pm
A regular 2012 Tesla (Benchmark) had a battery of 60 kWh (range 300 km), 2013 models went to an 85 kWh battery pack and a range of 425 km (theoretical). If you look at a Nissan leaf you might be in the range of what you're showing. Wouldn't even consider that to be a real car. But again, I can see where this discussion is going nowhere and there is no sense in this. I don't need any threehuggers.
My apologies. When you said "I've heard the story of increased battery capacity for ten years and we're still at around 400 km max.", I thought you were referring to EV's - I didn't realise you were referring to Teslas.

You obviously don't have any offspring. My children and grandchildren need tree-huggers. Or did you mean "threehuggers"
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

Meanwhile - promising battery technologies continue to emerge.
Lithium-sulfur battery could quintuple electric vehicle ranges.
https://www.designfax.net/cms/dfx/opens ... icle&pn=02
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!