In Memory of Don Terrill

Moderator: Team

Aussie Dave

Re: In Memory of Don Terrill

Post by Aussie Dave »

Sad new. I took a jump to a very small specialty shop 12 years ago. Then had to figure out how to pull it off, thanks to Don and his audio discs his books and the great people on the forum I made a fair job of it. I'm still learning and the secrets aren't so secret when you talk with like minded people, that Don brought together.
To Don's family my condolences.
Thank you Dave.
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

Sorry for the family's loss. Thanks for the knowledge and entertainment .
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

MadBill wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:38 pm For those that may have missed it, I'd like to bring members' attention to Beverly Terrill's note in the "Announcements" section https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55689 regarding how to finance the ongoing costs of operating SpeedTalk, since she will be unable to maintain Don's commercial activities.

Hopefully some effective and innovative ideas will surface, but two that I would wholeheartedly support if no better choices emerge are yearly membership fees or Crowdfunding.
Bill,
since speedtalk has members world wide,i wonder if a one off annual fee via a paypal account is viable? only thing i can think of at the moment
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
Beverly

Post by Beverly »

Thanks everyone! The good news is I have until the end of 2019 to decide what to do. The server cost is 159/month and the server management is 29/month with a minimal amount of tickets. I appreciate every ST member and your efforts to help keep Don's legacy alive. God bless you!
Don's Loving Wife Beverly
“Though lovers be lost, love shall not; And death shall have no dominion.”
― Dylan Thomas
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Beverly wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:51 am Thanks everyone! The good news is I have until the end of 2019 to decide what to do. The server cost is 159/month and the server management is 29/month with a minimal amount of tickets. I appreciate every ST member and your efforts to help keep Don's legacy alive. God bless you!
These cost would surely easily be covered with a very modest annual fee as has been suggested. With 20,000+ members Im sure the fee would not be too large and would be a far better option than bringing in annoying advertising like many other forums.
Craig.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Ironically, the size of the SpeedTalk cohort would appear to make membership difficult. With 20,000 of us, even 25 cents a year from each would leave an awkward surplus to 'flare off' somehow, not to mention that the processing costs would dwarf such a fee. Also, somehow limiting access for those who chose not to sign up could greatly affect the size, scope and quality of the forum.

I'm thinking crowdfunding would be a better option, hopefully producing enough revenue to ensure SpeedTalk's indefinite continuation, with any surplus remaining upon its inevitable eventual demise going to charity. If even 5% of our members contributed ten bucks each*, the resulting kitty should carry the forum for a couple of years with money to spare. *Despite its being discouraged by authorities, I know people who regularly mail large sums of cash in the course of their legitimate businesses, so a ten spot or equivalent in a fold of blank paper in an envelope would be a painless and 99% safe approach, but money orders and the like are fairly inexpensive for those who prefer such.

FWIW, I'd be prepared to donate substantially more to ensure S/T's future.

What say you all?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Im definetly prepared to put forward a fee to see ST continue. Seeing ST seems secure until the end of this year maybe a funding thread could be started to get an idea of numbers of members willing to donate, then after a month or so to gather some member interest, work out what a minimum donation needs to be and then we all get posting $$, ?
Craig.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Good thought Craig! I'll kick it off by attaching copies of relevant posts from this and Mrs. Terrill's in the 'Announcements' thread.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Bazman
Pro
Pro

Post by Bazman »

Sincere condolences Beverly and to your family, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm so happy to see the site back, and grateful that the legacy of Don is to continue. I have learned so much here over the years and am grateful for that including the times I've been wrong and had my misguided theories corrected by those far more knowledgeable than me. This site is unique.

My 2 cents is to keep it simple. I'd happily pay $10 per year to be a member here. Set it up on PayPal and consider it done

I do not care if there is a good surplus and would be happy for Beverly to preside over that however she sees fit - including being able to offset additional costs she'd otherwise struggle with now Don has passed. It's the least we can do to keep the site going and thank Don for his legacy by ensuring his widow is not left struggling.
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

decide what ever method of payment suits , and let us know , i'm in [ croud funding for a forum , dosent look great , paypal or something ] my 2cent
frankthetank

Post by frankthetank »

I would be in for membership fees.
greenhj

Post by greenhj »

I would pay an annual fee but perhaps making the off topic section a paid area for posting and possibly an advertisers subforum could easily cover costs and some. If the forum makes a few bucks over costs no one would begrudge that.
samfidal1

Post by samfidal1 »

My condolences to Dons family and friends , sad to hear the news
Bazman
Pro
Pro

Post by Bazman »

greenhj wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:57 am I would pay an annual fee but perhaps making the off topic section a paid area for posting and possibly an advertisers subforum could easily cover costs and some. If the forum makes a few bucks over costs no one would begrudge that.
Subs are great, I'm wary of bringing in advertising... that usually leads to the largest sponsors calling the shots and not allowing free speech if it goes against their brand. Every major brand has issues from time to time and engine builders should be able to speak the truth here without getting suspended or warned because some site sponsor got upset or required certain rules that muzzled truth. Nobody wants to see vendor bashing for the sake of it, but my goodness we need somewhere on the internet to warn others if a part is faulty or a significant % is. My 2 cents
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

My deepest condolences to Don's family and friends. Despite some of the headaches and occasional stresses of running this site it was very obvious he enjoyed the community that he created here. Thank you for allowing us to continue being part of and further contributing to its success.

Wishing you all the happiness in the world in your time of healing.

Greg