youtube Vortec porting videos - total BS

Moderator: David Vizard

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
youtube Vortec porting videos - total BS

Post by David Vizard »

It is amazing how much junk info you can find on Youtube porting orientated videos. One guy just polished up a 4 cylinder 16 valve head - his thread has over a million views and over 1800 praising comments by followers who mostly think porting means it's polished and that does the job!!!

But that aside after I found one video that gave pretty much all the moves to achieve close to zero I searched for more vortec porting stuff.

The quantity of misinformation prompted me the to do a video using my extensive test gear (flow bench, dyno etc) to show why the moves so often shown were wrong.

If you want the real griff on porting SBC Vortec's then go to https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... owertec+10

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
vannik
HotPass
HotPass

Re: youtube Vortec porting videos - total BS

Post by vannik »

David,

I enjoyed the video you posted but where is episode 4?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.” -Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

You're killing me DV... And I thought all those "headbytes" videos where that guy ports in his garden shed were the sh*t...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

You need a laser pointer lol
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Very good vid on vortec porting so far.
slo-svt

Post by slo-svt »

David, have any done any before and after testing with your vortec heads on engine dyno or at the track?
Pure logical thinking cannot yield us any knowledge of the empirical world; all knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it.

Albert Einstein
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

So a Walmart grinding stone in a cordless drill isn’t porting???

:lol:
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

slo-svt wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:43 pm David, have any done any before and after testing with your vortec heads on engine dyno or at the track?
Did you really need to ask that question????
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

vannik wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:11 pm David,

I enjoyed the video you posted but where is episode 4?
That must be the one going through editing now - I think!
DV
slo-svt

Post by slo-svt »

David Vizard wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:02 pm
slo-svt wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:43 pm David, have any done any before and after testing with your vortec heads on engine dyno or at the track?
DV
Is it not a valid question?
Pure logical thinking cannot yield us any knowledge of the empirical world; all knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it.

Albert Einstein
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

slo-svt wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:03 pm
DV
Maybe you should be more specific like "what are your thoughts on the top 10 dyno tests from one of the last 3 decades?"
slo-svt

Post by slo-svt »

RevTheory wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:25 pm
slo-svt wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:03 pm

DV
Maybe you should be more specific like "what are your thoughts on the top 10 dyno tests from one of the last 3 decades?"
Maybe I’m slow. What am I missing here. David’s response makes it sound like I asked a stupid question. Revtheory is making it sound like David has done hundreds of Dyno tests on vortec heads....if he has then surely my question would be as simple to respond to as I thought when I asked it. If not,a simple no would suffice.

Albert Einstein
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Cool vid! If a hand drill and bench grinder is good enough to backcut a valve for DV, then it makes me feel alot better about using my drill press to do the same n eyeballing the angle.

I know most on here open the pinch a lot but buried in the pages of old someone mentions how they help turn and act like a second SSR.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Just watched the Vortec video... whomever edited it cut out any shot of the finished intake guide modification, so it's not clear how much you removed.

I like the test where you clayed in the corner of the chamber where you stress not touching, and showed that it kept the intake flow from laying over at high lifts. Chamber do's and don'ts, regardless of head brand, interest me because that's the area where I have the least experience.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

BradH wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:21 pm Just watched the Vortec video... whomever edited it cut out any shot of the finished intake guide modification, so it's not clear how much you removed.

I like the test where you clayed in the corner of the chamber where you stress not touching, and showed that it kept the intake flow from laying over at high lifts. Chamber do's and don'ts, regardless of head brand, interest me because that's the area where I have the least experience.
I would like to add that on my 083 thread my heads picked up flow by removing some shrouding in that corner. The 083 has a much lower ssr and different chamber design. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST