Novice Modified 289 Heads

Moderator: David Vizard

The Iron Icon
Novice Modified 289 Heads

Post by The Iron Icon »

Here are some pictures of the heads that i'm doing at DV's porting school before,during, and after some of the chamber mods. Still not done with head but was going to show progress of heads so far. First set of pictures is before and after acid dipping.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Novice Modified 289 Heads

Post by mag2555 »

It's time to make iron chips fly!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
BigBro74
Expert
Expert

Post by BigBro74 »

Do they have a home planned out for when finished or are they a learning exercise?
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

keep posting...can you elaborate on acid bath?

Make sure and wear eye/breathing protection...iron dust is hell on both.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

0826171114c.jpg
Phil, practice some back lit photos with and without flash. This shows the port contours. Thanks, Charlie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
The Iron Icon

Post by The Iron Icon »

Big bro, plans are to go on a 289 we are building for a 66 mustang but may go to the 67 depending on what me and DV decide.

Vette, put them in some acid that david had specifically for cleaning up the old cast iron, i can ask if its something I can share. And wearing plenty of protection using acid, good thing with DV's grinding bench is it helps speed up porting because it keeps the air and work space clean so only using gloves and glasses for porting.

Charlie, any advice you have ill definitely write down and try. DV is always talking about that carbide finish your capable of.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Will you be able to share before and after flow bench results?

I wasted some of the best years of my life trying to get those buzzing little anvils to make power. Now, any kid with a checkbook can install aluminum heads and be way faster than our best work on those OEM arn.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

Your need to have Ear protection also unless your using a cable driven type grinder as both air and the needed size electrics made a good amount of decibels worth of noise!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

mag2555 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:10 am Your need to have Ear protection
Didn't catch that; my tinnitus is really bad this morning.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

that stuff gets in your nose, too.
Sounds like you are working with a downdraft bench lucky you. Do like seeing talent getting power out of old iron stuff also.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

PackardV8 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:12 am
Very low volume classical music is great for tinnitus!
Craig.
The Iron Icon

Post by The Iron Icon »

Over the weekend we were able to do some flow testing on one set of ports, with just bowl work we were able to get significant gains thru out the flow range. Had areas that were well up 40 cfm+ on the intake( This is with the stock valve) and good gains on the exhaust side as well but numbers are a bit fuzzy. We are not yet done with the heads and have a few more things we are going to be doing to improve the heads. Hope to have a chart up this Saturday as long as myself and DV can find time, so that we can show progress with each change as we do them.
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

I have a very deep interest in how you and DV picked up 40 peak cfm
on the Intake in this 289 head with just bowl port work and the stock size valve!
Do you mean to say a total flow gain across a given lift range of 40 cfm?

I hope you will fully spill the beans as they say in terms of pictures and before and after size dimemtions.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

mag2555 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:17 pm I have a very deep interest in how you and DV picked up 40 peak cfm
on the Intake in this 289 head with just bowl port work and the stock size valve!
Do you mean to say a total flow gain across a given lift range of 40 cfm?

I hope you will fully spill the beans as they say in terms of pictures and before and after size dimemtions.
Let me step in here Mag2555.

The heads are at my shop and I just have not had time to pull the pics from the camera and post them. Nor have we flowed the exhaust so the flow curves are hung up until the Iron Icon is back in the shop this coming Saturday.Look out for the data on all this at the beginning of next week.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

cjperformance wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:20 am
PackardV8 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:12 am
Very low volume classical music is great for tinnitus!
On the flip side, really load rock music is great for getting tinnitus, I found this out after years of $1000.00 car stereos, no one told us this in the 80's.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!