TorqueMaster cam program update

Moderator: David Vizard

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
TorqueMaster cam program update

Post by David Vizard »

Edited Intro

I wrote the original pre edited post under somewhat less than 'feel good' circumstances so here is an update saying nearer what I wanted to say.

I have been asked on numerous occasions what I am doing with my post brain surgery recovery time since I am grounded from any physical work that involves more than 15 lbs of effort. Well since sitting around and doing nothing just ticks me off no end I turned to my computer and took the opportunity, with Stan Wiese's help, to update our TorqueMaster cam selection program. I have finished the updates for the SBC 23 degree motors as far as hydraulic and solid flat and roller hydraulics go.

The new info format has a few aspects that are unique to TorqueMaster. First the user puts in the basic info for the build. This includes bore, stroke, rod length, peak power rpm, CR, induction length, valve sizes, and a few other need to know stats. From here the program calculates not only an initial cam spec but also highlights any miss matches your inputs may have brought about. Pop-ups then advise what changes you need to make on your inputs.

The input changes are guided by the power and torque figures that the program shows along with idle vacuum and dynamic C/R numbers. Optimize these factors to your liking and the cam selection is done. After the cam spec has been computed the program takes you to a data bank of several hundred cams. In addition to all the normal cam spec details T/M now gives the engine builder the cams lobe area and it's Aggression Index. That, I suspect, is going to be a new term in the cam business (and if it is not Jonesy will let me know right away) in addition to this T/M now shows the spring specs that particular cam will need. This includes seat preload, 'over-the-nose' lbs for the cam selected and the rpm to valve train crash with that spring will run to.

Using the spring spec given in the cam selection section the user can now go to the spring selection page and make a spring choice by part # in just seconds.

In just the same manner the rockers can be chosen by their real-world spec (not what it says on the box they came in). In a like manner the program will also choose the best intake for the application and, on another page help you select the carb needed. In addition to this you can also select the pistons best suited for your build as well as the crank and rods needed.

The choice of all the parts for a build is based on what will work best so this program should eliminate almost any questions about what the build needs.

Programs with this kind of power delivering capability are normally about $500 a time but, exclusively for ST posters, Stan, Marvin and I have got a special deal.

If you are an enthusiast engine builder then you can get a copy of this program with a 14-day life FREE which should give even those with big decision making problems enough time to sort out a highly functional build spec. If you are pro engine builder and will be ordering cams and parts on an engine building shop scale then the free time will run 180 days. In the next week or so Marvin will be posting a link on this thread. Click on that and download your free copy.

So why am I giving access to TorqueMaster for free – what’s in it for me? Well yes, I would like something in return here. I would like to get:-

A) ST members feedback and -

B) If you liked TM (and I am betting you will) and you also post on other performance sites I (we) would like you to tell those on other sites that by joining ST they can get this one of a kind super effective high dollar program free.

Remember Mike Jones has gone out on a limb with effort and dollars to get this site back up and running. Helping him get more active ST members is as good a way to say ‘thanks Mike’ as any. The more members ST has the more the site’s capability to serve it’s members increases.

If any of you out there need any more convincing as to the value of TM I can post a few of the responses from those who have used it. As you may expect they will all be positive but that is not because I am being choosy but due to the fact we have yet to receive a negative response.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: TorqueMaster cam program update

Post by PackardV8 »

After finishing the SB Ford and Chevy cams I can either go in and do the BBC cams or the LS cams - let's hear a consensus on which I should do next.
DV
Well, David, Studebaker and Packard V8s would be my recommendation ;>)
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

PackardV8 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:33 pm
After finishing the SB Ford and Chevy cams I can either go in and do the BBC cams or the LS cams - let's hear a consensus on which I should do next.
DV
Jack,
if the heads are close enough to the SBF and chevy i might be able to accommodate you.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

David Vizard wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:01 pm
PackardV8 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:33 pm
DV
Jack,
if the heads are close enough to the SBF and chevy i might be able to accommodate you.
DV
David, it was with the understanding I'd be your only customer. FWIW, the Studebaker heads behave like the early OEM iron head SBC and the Packard
V8 behaves similar to the Pontiac and BBM.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Ls chevy would be great!
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Completing the programs you are selling to the public should be priority one, although it seems to be an ongoing thing now days to sell untested s#it to the public to let them fund ones R&D then the company only has to upgrade the few that catch on.

LS would be the next obvious platform based on the industry... Turbo would be a main focus with this platform.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
pastry_chef
Pro
Pro

Post by pastry_chef »

Curious about the RPM ceiling for the program?
Mike R
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

pastry_chef wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:09 pm Curious about the RPM ceiling for the program?
Hi Mike,
While the program does do a range check on its inputs and also gives warnings if calculated data is out side of the wanted ranges. These ranges are not a single set of values, but are based on the engine family the User selects.

These are some of the values for the SBC

'
' =======================
'
.Label101.Caption = "23 Degree Small Block Chevy Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam && Engine Component Selector"
'
'
SpreadSheetName = "\sbc_hft.xls"
'
'
CI_Min = 302
Bore_Min = 3.8
Bore_Max = 4.2
Stroke_Min = 3#
Stroke_Max = 4.2
Rod_Min = 5.4
Rod_Max = 6.2
Intake_Valve_Min = 1.8
Intake_Valve_Max = 2.2
Exhaust_Valve_Min = 1.4
Exhaust_Valve_Max = 1.7
CR_Min = 8.5
CR_Max = 13.5
Peak_RPM_Min = 4000
Peak_RPM_Max = 8500
Intake_RAR_Min = 1.45
Intake_RAR_Max = 1.85
Exhaust_RAR_Min = 1.4
Exhaust_RAR_Max = 1.75

Clearly most of these ranges would be much different for the BBC when it is done.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 408 Nova »

Big block Chevy for sure. Then, since everyone has a wish list, how about late model Hemi's and SB2.2's?
pastry_chef
Pro
Pro

Post by pastry_chef »

408 Nova wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:17 am Big block Chevy for sure.
Agree.
Mike R
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

For some reason, HotPass members were not allowed to post on this thread, but they can now.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

X3 Big Block Chevy, Rob.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

GARY C wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:02 pm Completing the programs you are selling to the public should be priority one, although it seems to be an ongoing thing now days to sell untested s#it to the public to let them fund ones R&D then the company only has to upgrade the few that catch on.

LS would be the next obvious platform based on the industry... Turbo would be a main focus with this platform.
Gary,

I agree with your opening statement. From experience I can say it is difficult for even the best programers to get it right first time. I had a program sent to me by one of the most highly respected auto program writers in the industry. When it failed to give anything like the right answers i looked into the code and found a error that was about as obvious as it gets - yet a guy with and IQ the was certainly well up there missed it. It happens ---- though this case was a genuine mishap.

As for the text in blue I suspect you are right from the standpoint that LS should be my next cam deal however the 'turbo' comment is problematical.

Anyone who buys a cam labeled 'for turbo use' has probably been ripped off. It is not possible to spec a turbo cam without knowing what the pressure differential across the motor is - that is the intake boost to exhaust back pressure ratio - worse yet it is not even a fixed ratio but, with no idea what it may be, your cam choice is just a chancy guess.

DV
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Guys,
I have just re-written the opening page so if you have not read it as of now go back and do so as there is some interesting offers in it.
DV
pastry_chef
Pro
Pro

Post by pastry_chef »

David Vizard wrote:
> some interesting offers in it.
> DV [/size][/i][/b]

Thank you, I look forward to it.
Mike R