Vizard’s 32 gram Cup Car Valve

Moderator: David Vizard

marvingvx

Vizard’s 32 gram Cup Car Valve

Post by marvingvx »

I was over at Dave's shop this weekend and saw this Box

IMG_8826.JPG

My curiosity got me so I couldn't help but ask.
Here is what he showed to me and his description

trick vlvs.jpg
Cup Car TI valve (center) weigh’s in at 89 grams. The black valve made from expensive (very) unobtanium
weighs in a 13 grams while the gold colored one weighs in at 20 grams and is made of slightly more
available unobtanium. A Cup Car valve made of the lighter material weighed 32 grams.

Well the Cosworth valve felt like a piece of solidified air. When you tapped it against something it sounded like piece of glass tinging.

WoW if this is ever available for any small blocks I want to be on the list!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru
Re: Vizard’s 32 gram Cup Car Valve

Post by David Vizard »

I've had some calls/emails/PM's to expand on this subject somewhat. Exactly how much I can or should say here is somewhat limited but here goes.

This is a project that was done for Cosworth's V10 F1 engine circa 1997/8 era. The black valves were about 28% of the weight of a Ti valve, The first prototype valve cost about $500,000 in 1998 dollars. Had they gone into production the cost would have dropped to about $5000 apiece. Multiply that by two for the numer of intakes per culinder and then by 10 for the # of cylinders and you can see the bill for intakes would run about $100,000! Now double that for the cost of 40 exhaust valves!!!!!!

The gold color valve seen in Marvins shot above was the one that he refers to with the 'ting'. The black valves were actically pretty much dead.

I ran some examples of these valves in an engine that resonabley represented the valve train of the motor they were to equipe. The black valves proved more than capable of running practice and a race in an F1 invironment. The gold colored valve ran the equivilent of a couple of daytona 500 races while turning a near constant 10,000 rpm.

I had to build a dyno to test these valves and I still have it. This dyno is intended to test engines up to about 50-60 hp. It is an inertial dyno and very accurate being capable of defining 1/100 of a hp and can give readouts at any rpm per second accellereation rate as well as steady state. The fact that inertial dyno's have not traditionally been able to produce steady state numbers was actually my first run in with the infamous professor Blair. At the Birmingham (UK) racing car show he was giving me a hard time about somthing i wrote (I was subsequently shown to be right) when he stated the problem with inertial dyno's was that " you cannot get steady state numbers from them". Well by the time we got to this point in the debate i was pretty sick and tired of him saying what i could and could not do so I commented as per the following:- "Professor Blair, you may not be capable of designing a steady state output inertal dyno but please don't include me in that assumption. I am perfectly capable of designing such. For my usual consultancy fee I will show you how it is done." As it hqppens a well known SuperFlow employee also said it cannot be done.

Anyway I still have this dyno and a while back I started a process of finding a suitable deserving home for it. However the intervention of brain surgury stopped everything in its tracks. Basically if any of you can justify why I should give it to you instead of somebody else then it's yours for free.

Here is what it could do when I had it all up and running,

1) measure steady state and acceleration (at any desired rate) torque and hp to within 0.05%
2) Produce effective in cylinder pressure data with a very high degree of consistancy
3) maintaine temps of lube and coolant to +/- 2 degees F
4) Did not need a dyno cell, It could be pushed out into the car park and run with no water conections of any type coolant or other.
5) They power produced was absorbed by the engine itself.

In short this would have been a great dyno for schools and colleges as it is easy to build and requires no infrastructure to use.

Anyway it's up for grabs!!!!!

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

David,
Is your dyno similar in design to the inertia dyno that BLP had? Is it possible for you to send me a copy of the software used with your dyno?

Thanks,
Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »