We are currently running on the new domain and server: www.Speed-Talk.com

IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/
(Right-click the URL and select "Bookmark this link")

Every thread in Politics / Religion / Current Events forum is locked?

This subforum is used to ask questions about this forum, read howto-tutorials about posting/attaching images and videos. General maintenance alerts and upcoming updates will be also notified here.

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Posts: 9568
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm
Location:

Re: Every thread in Politics / Religion / Current Events forum is locked?

Post by pdq67 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:43 pm

I disagree!

I come here to get the real news and not the crap that the ones controlling the MSM want to stick up my as*!!

I try NOT to diss. anybody as well as to contribute to all of the tech sections.

I hope that I do contribute to all of them because of no more than my AGE!! I am now an old man and have done a lot of stuff and I try to share it with the pups!!

Now all this said, I will call BS, --, BS, -- , when I read it!! So hopefully I am not one of the ones causing trouble here??

IF I am, then please just tell me!!

pdq67

GRTfast
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4520
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am
Location:

Re: Every thread in Politics / Religion / Current Events forum is locked?

Post by GRTfast » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:17 pm

pdq67 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:43 pm
I disagree!

I come here to get the real news and not the crap that the ones controlling the MSM want to stick up my as*!!

I try NOT to diss. anybody as well as to contribute to all of the tech sections.

I hope that I do contribute to all of them because of no more than my AGE!! I am now an old man and have done a lot of stuff and I try to share it with the pups!!

Now all this said, I will call BS, --, BS, -- , when I read it!! So hopefully I am not one of the ones causing trouble here??

IF I am, then please just tell me!!

pdq67
I don't think "one" person is to blame. This is pretty much how every politics/religion unmoderated or lightly moderated forum goes. The main problem is (and I am probably as guilty as anyone), no one is going in there with an open objective intent to learn and discuss ideas on their individual merit. Every topic almost always devolves into two diametrically opposed sides mudslinging at each other. Try as I might, I still got dragged into that kind of thing more than once. Forum sections like that generally attract those with fringe views, so there is almost a baked in insurmountable chasm between those with differing political and religious view. My main reason for participating there was to test and hone my logic and argument skills, even though I knew going in that almost no one would ever concede a point. That didn't matter much to me as I am generally able to judge who supported their position better.

All that said, it is Mike's forum, and the fact that he has specific instances where people chose not to sponsor the site because of that section is all the justification anyone should need for his decision, even though he owes an explanation to no one.

If someone is going to leave this forum because that section is closed, I'd surmise it is no big loss for anyone here.
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens

User avatar
modok
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2602
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:50 am
Location:

Re: Every thread in Politics / Religion / Current Events forum is locked?

Post by modok » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:09 pm

GRTfast wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:17 pm
no one is going in there with an open objective intent to learn and discuss ideas on their individual merit.
You nailed it.
This is supposed to be a forum, and used as such.
Last month I found myself very disturbed at something...... and trying to find out what that something was... a I went deep into studying communication from a physiological perspective. I could write at length about the fine details, some of which I did not know, but most of which should be common knowledge although seldom discussed.
Some of the more hyper-logical types often need to study to understand what many people just do naturally and think nothing about.

This forum itself contains countless examples that can illustrate what a constructive discussion looks like.
Most people will learn how to do it simply from example. And if it does not appear to be a healthy discussion, then it probably isn't.


There is facebook, twitter, and many other places that can be used for OTHER tactics of communication.
It would seem ridiculous to blame these new forms of communication for any "real" problems, however, consider how new they are relative to the history of mankind.
We may not be fully aware of the implications, much the same way the printing press was a potentially dangerous invention when it was a new thing.

GRTfast
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4520
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am
Location:

Re: Every thread in Politics / Religion / Current Events forum is locked?

Post by GRTfast » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:20 pm

modok wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:09 pm
GRTfast wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:17 pm
no one is going in there with an open objective intent to learn and discuss ideas on their individual merit.
You nailed it.
This is supposed to be a forum, and used as such.
Last month I found myself very disturbed at something...... and trying to find out what that something was... a I went deep into studying communication from a physiological perspective. I could write at length about the fine details, some of which I did not know, but most of which should be common knowledge although seldom discussed.
Some of the more hyper-logical types often need to study to understand what many people just do naturally and think nothing about.

This forum itself contains countless examples that can illustrate what a constructive discussion looks like.
Most people will learn how to do it simply from example. And if it does not appear to be a healthy discussion, then it probably isn't.


There is facebook, twitter, and many other places that can be used for OTHER tactics of communication.
It would seem ridiculous to blame these new forms of communication for any "real" problems, however, consider how new they are relative to the history of mankind.
We may not be fully aware of the implications, much the same way the printing press was a potentially dangerous invention when it was a new thing.
Yep.

Social media and forums like the one that is now locked on here can feed and amplify tribalistic absolutist thinking and behavior. Some good can come from them, but the bad often outweighs the good. Interesting times we are living in.
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Posts: 9568
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm
Location:

Re: Every thread in Politics / Religion / Current Events forum is locked?

Post by pdq67 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:56 pm

I learned a long time ago not to argue with a stupid person because I had to get down to that person's level!! Same way with competing against somebody not of my ethics because they couldn't compete against me. Ie, they couldn't do my JOB!!

I for one use that site as my daily news input because MOST of the people here FILTER it for me!!

Please keep it open.

pdq67

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6456
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm
Location:

Re: Every thread in Politics / Religion / Current Events forum is locked?

Post by j-c-c » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:05 pm

GRTfast wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:17 pm
pdq67 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:43 pm
I disagree!

I come here to get the real news and not the crap that the ones controlling the MSM want to stick up my as*!!

I try NOT to diss. anybody as well as to contribute to all of the tech sections.

I hope that I do contribute to all of them because of no more than my AGE!! I am now an old man and have done a lot of stuff and I try to share it with the pups!!

Now all this said, I will call BS, --, BS, -- , when I read it!! So hopefully I am not one of the ones causing trouble here??

IF I am, then please just tell me!!

pdq67
I don't think "one" person is to blame. This is pretty much how every politics/religion unmoderated or lightly moderated forum goes. The main problem is (and I am probably as guilty as anyone), no one is going in there with an open objective intent to learn and discuss ideas on their individual merit. Every topic almost always devolves into two diametrically opposed sides mudslinging at each other. Try as I might, I still got dragged into that kind of thing more than once. Forum sections like that generally attract those with fringe views, so there is almost a baked in insurmountable chasm between those with differing political and religious view. My main reason for participating there was to test and hone my logic and argument skills, even though I knew going in that almost no one would ever concede a point. That didn't matter much to me as I am generally able to judge who supported their position better.

All that said, it is Mike's forum, and the fact that he has specific instances where people chose not to sponsor the site because of that section is all the justification anyone should need for his decision, even though he owes an explanation to no one.

If someone is going to leave this forum because that section is closed, I'd surmise it is no big loss for anyone here.
Sorry to disagree ( in red above, so the bots can't spot it), but I did, not sure I was successful, and were i also disagree, I tried to not let any of my argumentative/debate/etc skills, etc decide an issue by others that really should IMO be weighed mainly on merits, not my presentation. I also was very uncomfortable getting down to others levels, but because there seem to many here, they only seem to score merits based on when fighting fire with fire, I would wade in, in my defense, only after someone else kept throwing rocks. I also observed, that most anger directed my way, was when someone was "cornered", and with anger, the first casualty is often logic and decorum. That was their shortcoming, not mine. I often asked for examples of others complaints, that seemed to anger them more, as they seldom if ever offered any, and just became more belligerent. I was never here to change anyone's mine, but I sure wasn't afraid to confront anyone trying change mine, ask repeatedly to make their case, beyond just their pronouncement of truth.

Do I mind the close of the political section, a little, but I sure didn't learn much, other then a there is evidently a unwritten running forum post count.

GRTfast, you were one of the top notch posters in the forum, and I suspect most of your posts just went over the heads of many. Not because they were too lofty, they just didn't conform to their views, It was seldom I discovered a weakness in your positions, and why I seldom found it necessary to contribute. Obviously I am in a minority on that issue.

Reading comprehension is not an appreciated art in this neck of the woods.

I suspect, any responses here of my reply, will support that view. We'll see. :lol:

GRTfast
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4520
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am
Location:

Re: Every thread in Politics / Religion / Current Events forum is locked?

Post by GRTfast » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:19 pm

j-c-c wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:05 pm
GRTfast wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:17 pm
pdq67 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:43 pm
I disagree!

I come here to get the real news and not the crap that the ones controlling the MSM want to stick up my as*!!

I try NOT to diss. anybody as well as to contribute to all of the tech sections.

I hope that I do contribute to all of them because of no more than my AGE!! I am now an old man and have done a lot of stuff and I try to share it with the pups!!

Now all this said, I will call BS, --, BS, -- , when I read it!! So hopefully I am not one of the ones causing trouble here??

IF I am, then please just tell me!!

pdq67
I don't think "one" person is to blame. This is pretty much how every politics/religion unmoderated or lightly moderated forum goes. The main problem is (and I am probably as guilty as anyone), no one is going in there with an open objective intent to learn and discuss ideas on their individual merit. Every topic almost always devolves into two diametrically opposed sides mudslinging at each other. Try as I might, I still got dragged into that kind of thing more than once. Forum sections like that generally attract those with fringe views, so there is almost a baked in insurmountable chasm between those with differing political and religious view. My main reason for participating there was to test and hone my logic and argument skills, even though I knew going in that almost no one would ever concede a point. That didn't matter much to me as I am generally able to judge who supported their position better.

All that said, it is Mike's forum, and the fact that he has specific instances where people chose not to sponsor the site because of that section is all the justification anyone should need for his decision, even though he owes an explanation to no one.

If someone is going to leave this forum because that section is closed, I'd surmise it is no big loss for anyone here.
Sorry to disagree ( in red above, so the bots can't spot it), but I did, not sure I was successful, and were i also disagree, I tried to not let any of my argumentative/debate/etc skills, etc decide an issue by others that really should IMO be weighed mainly on merits, not my presentation. I also was very uncomfortable getting down to others levels, but because there seem to many here, they only seem to score merits based on when fighting fire with fire, I would wade in, in my defense, only after someone else kept throwing rocks. I also observed, that most anger directed my way, was when someone was "cornered", and with anger, the first casualty is often logic and decorum. That was their shortcoming, not mine. I often asked for examples of others complaints, that seemed to anger them more, as they seldom if ever offered any, and just became more belligerent. I was never here to change anyone's mine, but I sure wasn't afraid to confront anyone trying change mine, ask repeatedly to make their case, beyond just their pronouncement of truth.

Do I mind the close of the political section, a little, but I sure didn't learn much, other then a there is evidently a unwritten running forum post count.

GRTfast, you were one of the top notch posters in the forum, and I suspect most of your posts just went over the heads of many. Not because they were too lofty, they just didn't conform to their views, It was seldom I discovered a weakness in your positions, and why I seldom found it necessary to contribute. Obviously I am in a minority on that issue.

Reading comprehension is not an appreciated art in this neck of the woods.

I suspect, any responses here of my reply, will support that view. We'll see. :lol:
Almost no one. ;)
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens

Locked