blocking a forum

This subforum is used to ask questions about this forum, read howto-tutorials about posting/attaching images and videos. General maintenance alerts and upcoming updates will be also notified here.

Moderator: Team

tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

blocking a forum

Post by tjs44 »

I visit the site everyday and look at new posts.Is there a way to block the political form from new posts?It seems like half of the new posts end up from that forum.Tom
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Re: blocking a forum

Post by Keith Morganstein »

I think Don created the political sub-forum so that type of posting wouldn’t clutter up the rest of Speedtalk.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
406shark

Post by 406shark »

tjs44 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:47 pm I visit the site everyday and look at new posts.Is there a way to block the political form from new posts?It seems like half of the new posts end up from that forum.Tom

I haven't been able to figure out how to do it. I decided to block a few frequent flyers on the political area and miss most of it. And you won't miss any good information when it comes to actual tech, as they don't really post anywhere but the political area.

Jeff
ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames »

You can sort of do it in stages. Go to the Jump To button at the bottom right corner and instead of selecting a single forum, click on "Technical". That gives you a page with all of the Technical subforums, and any forum with an unread message will be highlighted. Then at the bottom will be all of the threads with new posts in those subforums. Use a right click, open in new tab, on the red square that starts each thread title to open each thread at the first unread message so you don't have to regenerate this page after each post you read. Works for Technical and Classifieds, but in the Other group you will of course see all of the political threads you don't want. There I just manually click on each Other subforum that is highlighted, like Industry/Business, Show and Tell, etc., and skip the Politics. Once you have read all of the posts you care about, click on the mark all subforums read link at the upper right corner just above the forum list so you only get really new posts the next time.
Carl Ijames, chemist not engine builder
carl ddott ijames aatt verizon ddott net
ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames »

ijames wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:24 am You can sort of do it in stages. Go to the Jump To button at the bottom right corner and instead of selecting a single forum, click on "Technical". That gives you a page with all of the Technical subforums, and any forum with an unread message will be highlighted. Then at the bottom will be all of the threads with new posts in those subforums. Use a right click, open in new tab, on the red square that starts each thread title to open each thread at the first unread message so you don't have to regenerate this page after each post you read. Works for Technical and Classifieds, but in the Other group you will of course see all of the political threads you don't want. There I just manually click on each Other subforum that is highlighted, like Industry/Business, Show and Tell, etc., and skip the Politics. Once you have read all of the posts you care about, click on the mark all subforums read link at the upper right corner just above the forum list so you only get really new posts the next time.
Well, it's not a perfect system. Under the list of forums it lists "active" threads, which apparently isn't quite the same thing as "threads with unread posts", but maybe it will be close enough for you.
Carl Ijames, chemist not engine builder
carl ddott ijames aatt verizon ddott net