Every thread in Politics / Religion / Current Events forum is locked?

This subforum is used to ask questions about this forum, read howto-tutorials about posting/attaching images and videos. General maintenance alerts and upcoming updates will be also notified here.

Moderator: Team

enigma57
Guru
Guru

Every thread in Politics / Religion / Current Events forum is locked?

Post by enigma57 »

Just visited the 'Politics / Religion / Current Events' forum. Every thread I pulled up there is locked, so cannot comment. What's up with that?

HB
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Every thread in Politics / Religion / Current Events forum is locked?

Post by Kevin Johnson »

enigma57 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:11 am Just visited the 'Politics / Religion / Current Events' forum. Every thread I pulled up there is locked, so cannot comment. What's up with that?

HB
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61455#p866843

Re: Not on topic but
Post by CamKing » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:20 pm
exhaustgases wrote: How come the one forum is locked?
Don't take this personally, because you're not the worst case, but......
Not counting your post above, out of your last 100 posts, only 12% have been in the tech forums. Almost all your posts are in the politics forum, and that's not what Speed-Talk is here for.
Like I said, there are others that spend less time then you, contributing to Speed-Talk's tech forums.
Don added the Politics forum, so Speed-Talk members can go blow off some steam, every once in a while, but we now have a small group that spends all their time there, and are responsible for about 99% of all the posts there.
With all the division in the world right now, I don't feel the need for it here, on Speed-Talk.

Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs
Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Thanks for the info, Kevin. I wasn't aware that there was a new requirement to post at the Speed Talk forums. There has been an ongoing effort for some years now by those who wish to silence others with whom they disagree. Namely, those who hold traditional American values dear. Sad to see this manifest itself in this way here.

Suggestion...... If this is the way it is going to be, just do away with the Politics / Religion / Current Events forum and be done with it. No need to play games.

Just shaking head,

Harry
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

I understand your reasoning Mike, some had turned it into a dart board and can not even see that.And yes, the forum has engineering as its core.

Unfortunately for me the timing of shutting the board was just before i was going to make one of my very very rare political/sociological contributions in relation to some quite erroneous observations made by some about the opportunities and rights to publicly voice opinions in Australia.

Cheers.
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

I would have enjoyed hearing your thoughts on that, hoodeng. I have a dear friend down under. We have kept in touch since 1963. Very nearly migrated there to marry her after I returned Stateside and mustered out of the Marine Corps in Oct. of 1967. But it wasn't to be. She is very forthcoming in what she has to say and I appreciate her candor.

Best regards,

Harry
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

enigma57 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:33 pm There has been an ongoing effort for some years now by those who wish to silence others with whom they disagree. Namely, those who hold traditional American values dear. Sad to see this manifest itself in this way here.
That is a stupid comment.
The forum was locked, because it adds nothing to Speed-Talk. It's become a handful of the same people posting about news stories that support their ideology, and they attack any story(and the person that posted it), if it doesn't support their ideology. There's no debate. There's no enlightenment. There's no looking for a common ground.
Almost a year ago, I warned everyone on the Politics forum that "If this forum, is your main reason to be on Speed-Talk, Speed-Talk is not for you."

On more then one occasion, I have had companies decline to become Speed-Talk Vendors, because they didn't want to be associated with what was being posted in the Politics forum. Speed-Talk doesn't make a cent off of the Speed-Talk Vendors, but they do offer discounts to Speed-Talk members. In other words, Speed-Talk members are losing out, because a handful of people spend all day on the politics forum, telling the world, their side is right, and the other side is wrong.

BTW, which "traditional American value" tells you it's OK to call someone a racist, just because they voted for Trump, or to call someone an anti-American commie, because they think Obama care is a good thing?
Which value tells you to discount anyone that doesn't believe what you believe ?
Maybe if the regulars on the politics forum actually practiced "traditional American values", I wouldn't have to lock it.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

CamKing wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:45 pm
enigma57 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:33 pm There has been an ongoing effort for some years now by those who wish to silence others with whom they disagree. Namely, those who hold traditional American values dear. Sad to see this manifest itself in this way here.
That is a stupid comment......

...... BTW, which "traditional American value" tells you it's OK to call someone a racist, just because they voted for Trump, or to call someone an anti-American commie, because they think Obama care is a good thing?
Which value tells you to discount anyone that doesn't believe what you believe ?
Maybe if the regulars on the politics forum actually practiced "traditional American values", I wouldn't have to lock it.
1. No, its not a 'stupid statement', Mike. Its a fact of life. Been going on for decades now in our schools and universities and in media, and in recent years in social media as well. Which in large part is why Americans are so polarized at present and there is little give and take between the two camps.

2. I have never done any of those things, nor would I. Not my style. I simply stopped by the forum a few times over the past couple weeks to comment on a few things whilst I am recovering from a serious health issue. Which is not something I do on a regular basis. And in so doing, walked chin first into whatever it is that you have decided to do about that forum

As I said in my priour comment here...... Just do away with that forum altogether if this is how it is going to be. More trouble than its worth apparently.

Best regards,

Harry
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Harry you are correct! Mike is correct also! It became a shit show and left nothing but bickering and such from 3 countries I have seen!
Thanks Mike like I tell every costumer we talk fixing the problem and not politics!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

af2 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:55 pm Harry you are correct! Mike is correct also! It became a shit show and left nothing but bickering and such from 3 countries I have seen!
Thanks Mike like I tell every costumer we talk fixing the problem and not politics!
I understand your point, Adam. Sadly, that's what sometimes happens when such subjects are discussed on a forum where no moderator is keeping everyone within the posting rules as regards civil discourse and treating others with mutual respect. Over time, it has degenerated into something nearly as bad as the corresponding forum on 'Yellow Bullet'. And that's saying a lot. None of it good.

All things considered, I think it would be better to just do away with the Politics / Religion / Current Events forum altogether if the rude, name calling trolls and self-styled agents provocateur there are not going to be held to task when they violate the posting rules. But that's Mike's decision. I only stop by here to learn and from time to time, to share info if I can answer a question for someone. And whatever Mike decides, I will support.

Best regards to all,

Harry
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Delete it.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

hahaah I was thinking how good the unread/latest posts were, then I stumbled upon this explanation.

=D>
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

It needed locking ...... too partisan

From my perspective it was sometimes informative to get a perspective that I'm not generally exposed to over here, but the destruction to the forum wasn't worth it
Delete it
Maybe ...... another idea might be to limit people's contributions to it to, say, half a dozen posts per month, or one a week etc ?

That'd focus minds on what might be important to say, rather than just throwing rocks

A sharp guy good with zeros and ones might be able to put that in place easily enough ?

JMO
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

I don't come to a Mayo Clinic forum for cam recommendations and don't come to Speed-Talk for Current Events news. Don't visit anywhere Politics or Religion is discussed.

Doing away with the topic has my 100% support.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

I agree with BC, and i see Packard's point as well. Off engineering topics are not really what this forum is about,,but,, I don't mind seeing other peoples perspectives on events that a lot of people do not get exposed to. I can see that i am either not alone in support or counter to issues, i'm a big boy now, i can listen to others without getting confronted and upset.

BC's idea of limiting input, maybe to even less, two or three a month will temper discussion and as BC pointed out, given time to think, shooting from the hip is minimized for fair thinking adults.

Having some diversity in a forum can stimulate some of us that are in quite insular environments.

Cheers.
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

This is a good thread. A few weeks before the forum was locked I decided to stop posting there all together. That said, one of the reasons there is so much difficulty in discussing those topics is because we are always taught not to discuss politics and religion instead of being taught how to talk about them maturely. I'm actually happy it is locked, and having taken a look at the corresponding forum on YB, I am super glad that kind of thing is not allowed here. It's horrible over there.
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens