Valve bouncing detection technology

LotusElise

Valve bouncing detection technology

Post by LotusElise »

Hello Speed Talk'ers,

I am planing on 90x78.5-I4-2-Liter-NA-engine spec'd to 380 hp@11.000 rpm. As I don't relay on single focused and extremely expensive measurements like a Spin-tron would offer it, I am curious if anyone of you detected valve bouncing with either a knock analyse system or a pressure indication system. In the former company I worked for we made a two step: simulation and measuring on the single cylinder and the full sized engine. I have not such capacities in my own company, but I have the two measurement systems mentioned above. What do you think or experienced, is it possible to detect it before the engine suffers damage with one of these?

The idea is to listen with the knock sensor at a window around EVC and IVC. As the window can be small as 25 °CA (with assumptions for engine speed related delays even smaller), there might be a good chance to see the seat noise at least with some mathematical extraction methods.

What's the loss in the risk calculation? Every 500 rpm lower this engine concept loses over 10 hp and the head ports would have been in need to be adapted to that lower engine speed to keep the power band wide. A safety revving band of around 1500 rpm has to be added to peak power engine speed. So I want to keep the risk lowest by lowering the probability of an unknown valve train issue on the engine dyno.

Background, it is a VTEC-less K-series valvetrain from Honda. There are valve springs and rockers available tested by aftermarket up to 11.000 rpm in a various combination, which might not the one I use, but here we will go well over this, up to 12.500 rpm for a blink of a second (slippery application sometimes).

I won't test it without the capability to see it coming. So any advice and support is welcome.
Markus
DAMPFHAMMER engine:
2000 ccm, Honda K20 NA engine
4000 rpm bandwidth of at least 192 ftlb
310 hp@8200 rpm
LotusElise

Re: Valve bouncing detection technology

Post by LotusElise »

None with experience in that manner? I wonder how other guys handle that issue?
DAMPFHAMMER engine:
2000 ccm, Honda K20 NA engine
4000 rpm bandwidth of at least 192 ftlb
310 hp@8200 rpm
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Have you contacted Clint and asked him whether his products could show valve bounce in real-time?

Member: nitro2

Clint Gray
High Speed Combustion Pressure Tuning Equipment
HotPass Discount
TFX Engine Technology Inc.
tfx.engine@yahoo.com
Ph: 1-800-479-5571
www.tfxengine.com
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

It's best to use a spintron, but I have a long-time customer that uses a knock sensor system from GM. According to him, you can see on computer screen, when the valve stats bouncing on the seat.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

Hii, sorry i can't help myself not to post this picture here.. :D

Screenshot_20221012-204815.jpg

Anyway, im also curious about info and different methods how to detect bouncing especially in a OHC bucket type hydraulic lifters cam followers below 8000rpm

Thanks,

-juhana
A balanced person dares to stagger, and modify ports bigger