Speed-Talk is running on www.Speed-Talk.com

IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/
(Right-click the URL and select "Bookmark this link")

2-stroke small engine upgrade

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

joenitro

2-stroke small engine upgrade

Post by joenitro »

I'm building a high-compression 2-stroke single cylinder engine and I was wondering if it's possible to mix a lubricant with methanol, and if so, what kind?
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Re: 2-stroke small engine upgrade

Post by David Redszus »

joenitro wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:22 pm I'm building a high-compression 2-stroke single cylinder engine and I was wondering if it's possible to mix a lubricant with methanol, and if so, what kind?
For two stroke engines running on methanol, the pre-mixed lubricant best suited is castor bean oil.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

If you can find an equivalent to 'Penrite Race 10/10ths Castor' over there that will do the job. This stuff is a blend of Castor bean oil as David has quoted plus synthetic ester additives, anti corrosion and oxidant additives. These help control the lacquering that straight castor deposits.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Castor bean oil, is like perfume to old motor heads.

I attend the 1959 Times Gran Prix (Riverside), with my dad, that time many Euro race cars used it as a top oil, in the gas and I was hooked.

I ran a 400 Maico MX bike, in the early '70's and used Castrol R (20/1), I loved the smell but, it would foul a plug, in about 6 - 8 gallons.
PSA

Post by PSA »

There's a number of different lubricants that works, it depends slightly on what you intend to do with the engine though. You have castor oil, both regular straight, to fortified, and mixed with synthetic oil.
There's also different straight synthetic oils for this.
You could look at Klotz, they have both castor oil, PAG synthetics and mixes of the two. Redline used to have a really great oil, couldn't find it now though.