Zora-Arkus-Duntov's Last Interview

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

jbedit
Zora-Arkus-Duntov's Last Interview

Post by jbedit »

Saw this video interview with Zora Duntov at http://hotrodenginetech.com/zora-arkus- ... interview/. It's a little long and he's a little hard to follow because he was so old at the time and he still had a thick accent, but it was way cool listening to him tell stories about the development of Chevy performance cars and engines in particular. Someone said its been shown before, but I've never seen it and just thought I'd share in case anyone else missed it. I downloaded and saved it in my cool stuff file.
crazyman
Expert
Expert

Re: Zora-Arkus-Duntov's Last Interview

Post by crazyman »

Thank you...
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

X2

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
rally
Expert
Expert

Post by rally »

I have a original Hot Rod magazine Dec 1967 with Duntov sitting between 4 Chevy engines he had built and designed. I dont think any of these got approval from the Top at Chevy. But there is three BB Chevy Hemi engines, unreal. If Dontov would of had his way, Chevy would of had a Hemi designed BB and a 327 Hemi Engine. Trust me Chrysler Mopar boys would of seen the last of their dominance of there Hemi Engine. From what i heard Duntov designed the Hemi Head years ago. He was the first form what i heard,
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

rally wrote:I have a original Hot Rod magazine Dec 1967 with Duntov sitting between 4 Chevy engines he had built and designed.
Any chance to post a pic here? [-o< [-o<
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

Duntov designed the Hemi Head

Was done before he was born.
You could buy a Harley-Davidson pushrod hemi engine right from a dealer in 1925.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Interesting how basic of things stuck in his mind like materials and dimensions.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
dfree383
Guru
Guru

Post by dfree383 »

Number of guys on here who knew him.........
Engguy
Guru
Guru

Post by Engguy »

Thanks for the link, when I was a kid I wanted to meet him.
rally
Expert
Expert

Post by rally »

panic who cares about Harley Hemi head. My point is Dontov from what i read designed the first automobile engine hemi head design. Want to talk about bikes, good for you, me i could careless.
Sir Yun
Expert
Expert

Post by Sir Yun »

I liked the ''my expense account my expense account was rejected'' bit. Seemed a nice guy.

Jag XK6 (1949) engine was a hemi as well and I believe there where quite a few far (as in 30 years +) before that
“There is no authority who decides what is a good idea.”
― Richard Feynman

Expert ? Me ? ...whhhhaaahahhaahahaha
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

He lived in interesting times of the US auto industry with interesting assignments.
I find it odd though that the big block Chevrolet would be seen as an example of good engineering with the uneven intake port designs and head bolt pattern. I would like to hear a story about how that happened. My guess is the design was done as an experimental prototype for racing where they believed they needed larger ports at the expense of all else with no intention that it would ever see production.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:He lived in interesting times of the US auto industry with interesting assignments.
I find it odd though that the big block Chevrolet would be seen as an example of good engineering with the uneven intake port designs and head bolt pattern. I would like to hear a story about how that happened. My guess is the design was done as an experimental prototype for racing where they believed they needed larger ports at the expense of all else with no intention that it would ever see production.
Probably all true ^^^^^^ (don't forget valvetrain angles) but the engine has proven to be quite a good piece over the years and will take a lot of abuse. I am guessing that there are more racing wins (drag,circle, road, pull, whatever) with the small block and big block Chevrolet engines (V8 classes) than all other makes combined. That's just my guess though. Improvements have been made over the years with sym port heads and the like but I think the design has survived rather well.
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602
dieselgeek
Guru
Guru

Post by dieselgeek »

That was awesome, perfect for viewing over the lunch hour. Thanks for posting!
Calibration Engineer
www.DIYAutotune.com
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

jbedit wrote:Saw this video interview with Zora Duntov at It's a little long and he's a little hard to follow because he was so old at the time and he still had a thick accent, but it was way cool listening to him tell stories about the development of Chevy performance cars and engines in particular.
The text explained that Duntov had suffered a stroke which explaines his difficulty expressing his thoughts at times during the interview.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o