Smokey Yunick SY-1 Intake

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

Ericnova
Pro
Pro

Re: Smokey Yunick SY-1 Intake

Post by Ericnova »

frnkeore wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:03 pm This was Fords answer to the X ram problem. I wish they would have continued to make those carbs.

Bill-C, do you ever see this setup used today? Is it still legal?
Barry Grant put out something very much like that, just shortly before his company imploded. Called it the "Badman", it was basically his Race Demon RS style removable sleeve venturi and booster set-up put into a inline casting.

BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

frnkeore wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:03 pm This was Fords answer to the X ram problem. I wish they would have continued to make those carbs.

I have never used or actually touched any of those inline carbs, so i can't give any input. We have , however, built several Boss 302 T/A engines with the dual 1150 dominator carbs!
Carlquist Competition Engines
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

BILL-C wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:36 am..We have , however, built several Boss 302 T/A engines with the dual 1150 dominator carbs!
And some guys come on here agonizing over whether or not their hot street 454" can handle an 850 DP... #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

MadBill wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:25 pm
BILL-C wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:36 am..We have , however, built several Boss 302 T/A engines with the dual 1150 dominator carbs!
And some guys come on here agonizing over whether or not their hot street 454" can handle an 850 DP... #-o
I agree with the sentiment being expressed, but FWIW, the dual dominator Boss 302 trans-am set-up is IR.
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

falcongeorge wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:32 pm
I agree with the sentiment being expressed, but FWIW, the dual dominator Boss 302 trans-am set-up is IR.
Actually the Boss set up has pairs of throttle bores connected, so it's ALMOST IR.
Carlquist Competition Engines
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

BILL-C wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:22 pm
falcongeorge wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:32 pm

Actually the Boss set up has pairs of throttle bores connected, so it's ALMOST IR.
Didn't know that! Thanks!
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

Ericnova wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:21 pm

Barry Grant put out something very much like that, just shortly before his company imploded. Called it the "Badman", it was basically his Race Demon RS style removable sleeve venturi and booster set-up put into a inline casting.

I have the Ford version of that Badman intake, pre-machining.

"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Nothing you couldn't do with 4 2 barrel carbs.
BlitzA64
Expert
Expert

Post by BlitzA64 »

I used one in the 80's on a boat circle race deal. I had a lot of issues with fuel distribution to start with so we called and actually talked to Smokey about it. He guessed right away that I had put a spacer under the carb to allow the secondary linkage to clear the manifold, he said take the spacer out and relieve the manifold top for the linkage, only use a thin gasket. Right away the mixtures got way better and a little stagger jet got it right. It worked great after that for my application, very broad torque curve. I doubt it would work worth a hoot street driving
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

In 1969 Trans-Am racing, Bud Moore and Ford improved on the SY1 design by only making the center runners cross on their Boss 302 manifold and the end runners were like a single plane.
It was called the "Bud Moore Mini-Plenum" and it was even used on some early Super Modified drag racing engines.

Ford even made a few experimental manifolds like that design for the 429 Cobra-Jet offerings which never made it to production vehicles.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

Giant plenums and single carbs always suffer from fuel distribution issues MORE than dual four applications. Chrysler , Ford , and Chevy all had to add "dams" and flow directors to try and fix the issues. The Mini Plenums randy mentioned were early attempts to fix the issue by having four conventional long runners and four that crossed to try and keep runner length. They were better , but not "perfect" , yet. Eventually these morphed into single plane designs that are constantly being revised today. They are taller and more of a "straight shot" than ever before.
Smokey was an innovator , but also a wise business man that didn't mind being paid ( he depended on it ) by people eager to made his designs for "mass consumption".
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

Bud Moore Boss 302 intake...

Interesting way to get a more equal length runner.

"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com