Smokey Yunick SY-1 Intake

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

RL
Guru
Guru

Re: Smokey Yunick SY-1 Intake

Post by RL »

crazyamc wrote:I vintage race my '69 Camaro ex A-Sedan car.... I always considered the '70 Trans Am season as the pinnacle year due to Chrysler joining the fray. In my first race, my car number was 30 (my age at the time).... and the Camaro is restored to the '70 TA specs, including a SY1.... I'm 51 now, the same 302 that started this craziness has been through one set of rings, bearings, and a fresh set of Brezynzski heads, all under the SY1.. It's strong, correct, fast, (not Cobra Automotive fast, they're crazy!) but will continue to run up against the 8K chip as it always has... and I fully expect it to continue to do the same in June at Indy with SVRA- that;s a winner in my book! Come out- you'll love it! :P Ken
That's what I figured.
The Ford had the power edge and Somkey was using the large plenum for more top end hp.
And it was really only for high rpm (8K chip).

What size carb size are you using?
miniv8 wrote:I have one of those, and if I were to use it I would build two tops for it and run it as two separate intakes on a single manifold, like so:
That was an idea I also had.
People love them, but everyone wants to modify them to bring it into the 21st century.
If you love it just put a stealth EFI inside and put a gutted out carb with throttles on top. It fixes all the distribution problems and any rpm, the best of both world.

Lets look at the problems it has:-
Not much vertical plenum height.
The air exiting from the carb at high rpm have so much velocity that it can't make the turn and the columns slam into the floor. The heavy fuel droplets separate and soak the floor, hence those dams above some ports. The kinetic energy of the air columns blast the fuel back into suspension into a less than ideal homogeneous state, with some spraying on the far secondary plenum walls. The distance from the carb to the port entries are progressively farther away making equal fuel distribution harder, hence that end baffle.

At high rpm you can get away with murder, but that doesn't mean is the best way to do things.

Large flat empty stagnation areas.
At idle the air exiting has very little velocity, so can make the turn easily, but because of the dead areas the fuel can come out of suspension, unless it's in a high vapour state.

You could fix things with a carb with a high atomisation rate - same as coated manifolds need over non coated ones -, but that not the best way to feed and engine. That's why there are people that do wet flow carb testing.

It's pretty obvious it uses the large plenum drag racing hp trick, but because it was used for circuit racing it had to have all those internal mods.

It might have been a great piece at the time, but there has been 45 years of single carb, under bonnet, single plane dominance since.
Tuner wrote:I agree with you, things are more like they are now than they ever have been and that includes how smart people think they are.

It's worth one more time on the hope it will sink in, the manifold was made to fit a racing rule requirement demanding a single 4-bbl and a stock appearing sedan hood line. Your argument for Dominators and a tunnel ram would not get you out of the scrutineers' paddock.
It's been 45 years, don't hang onto the past or you will get swamped by the opposition. The manifold shouldn't still be revered today, but should be only noted as a historical point in time.

In the gaming world it was proven that he less experienced a player was, the more aggressive and rude they were. Don't come off as a spoilt brat just come up with well though out view point, because that's how things are done here on Speedtalk.
RL
Guru
Guru

Post by RL »

BrazilianZ28Camaro wrote:I have a article here from back in the day called Smokey HI-Pressure 302. They claim about 500 HP with a Cross ram intake and two four barrels.

This another one is from a magazine, 482HP 302" FWIW:

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/ccr ... ro-engine/

Sooo looks like they make some power.

Tuner, don't be upset by few here, everybody knows your expertise and vast experience in carburation and induction systems.
Wow peak power 7500rpm, that was a pretty good eyeball guess. lol

The thing that gets me is people today wanting to take off their modern single-planes to fit the SY-1, because it has Yunnick on it.

Twin but small carbs is the way to go - looks better too -.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

=D>

RL
Guru
Guru

Post by RL »

Now I know why you love them.

A twin 370's with open plenum should get them cracking.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

It would be interesting to see what it would do with four 4412's each mounted right over the runner entrances.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I want to see pictures of the linkage when you are done. Some people put oddball stuff on their engines because they like all of the monkey motion.
So much to do, so little time...
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Like this triple belt-drive intake system? :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
stilhead

Post by stilhead »

Maybe an SY-1 ain't the best single 4-barrel manifold ever made,so what! A genuine Henry rifle ain't the best firearm ever produced either.But i sure as heck would like to have one. And in the right hands, a Henry or an SY-1 will still perform quite well.
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

stilhead wrote:Maybe an SY-1 ain't the best single 4-barrel manifold ever made,so what! A genuine Henry rifle ain't the best firearm ever produced either.But i sure as heck would like to have one. And in the right hands, a Henry or an SY-1 will still perform quite well.
===============

I believe the Henry was one of the top 10 in Chris Kyle's "American Gun: A History of the U.S. in Ten Firearms . . ."
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

wyrmrider wrote: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:41 pm Smokey Ram
reminds me of the X ram on the 302 AMC
worked better on the 427 AMC :)
What is this 427 AMC engine you mentioned??

pdq67
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

pdq67 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:41 pm
wyrmrider wrote: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:41 pm Smokey Ram
reminds me of the X ram on the 302 AMC
worked better on the 427 AMC :)
What is this 427 AMC engine you mentioned??

pdq67
Paul, for your further investigations:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160530050 ... age426.htm
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

The Chrysler 413-426 and 426 race hemi cross ram seemed to still work great!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Bought an SY-1 last year from a buddy who had 3 of them. I had to have it, they are frickin cool on a street car.
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

The sy-1 was designed to run in the trans am series and was indeed effective. The only other legal choices back in the day were the factory dual plane intakes. Edelbrock performer rpm dual plane intakes are now also legal. We have built several camaro 302 vintage T/A engines with those intakes and made 525+ hp with them. The intended rpm range is 5000-8500 and they work better than expected. They were never intended to be used to put around on the street at a fast idle.
Carlquist Competition Engines
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

This was Fords answer to the X ram problem. I wish they would have continued to make those carbs.

Bill-C, do you ever see this setup used today? Is it still legal?