Smokey Yunick SY-1 Intake

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

member-83854792

Smokey Yunick SY-1 Intake

Post by member-83854792 »

I am in search for the Cross Sectional Area And Runner length of these intakes. Thanks.
Kenova
Expert
Expert

Re: Smokey Yunick SY-1 Intake

Post by Kenova »

The one I have is still as it was cast, no port matching. My measurements are from the head flange of the manifold.

W = 1 3/16" to 1 1/4"

H = 1 15/16" to 2"

L = 6 1/8" to 6 1/4"

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has actually used one, especially on the street.

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

I'd just love to see one converted to fuel injection. I don't know how that might be accomplished--I'm kinda thinking internal fuel rails and internal injectors.

Remember that for a conventional carbed application, Edelbrock released a bulletin for welded-in (or popsickle-stick-and-epoxy) fuel dams that supposedly corrected mixture-distribution issues.
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

I was at Edelbrock when we made those.. they MIGHT have potential, but no one could seem to make it work very well.In my own experience, it did NOT drive well at low RPM ( below 4000 ) and was not any more power than the other manifolds we were making at that time.. Do not get too excited about it

JOE SHERMAN RACING
lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok »

photo ?
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Smokey Ram
reminds me of the X ram on the 302 AMC
worked better on the 427 AMC :)
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

I think all of these x-ram based intakes had Trans-Am racing in mind with dual 4bbl's, long runners for bottom end, a big open plenum for some top end, all designed to fit under a flat OEM hood.

I did see reference to an AMC STR-11 being converted to fuel injected throttle bodies on an AMC forum. I don't know how successful the project was but I would think it would be promising. The SY-1 is a cool looking intake and if I wanted a cool factor, I'd go for it. Can't be any worse that the '80's GM Cross-Fire injection!
NHRA SS/G
1970 AMC AMX - 390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches - Red Line Racing Cams
autogear
Vendor

Post by autogear »

I have one; more as a curiosity than anything else. There was a guy, or group of guys that were taking the SY-1's and making a custom top for CFI applications. If you're interested in mine, I'd let it go to a good home.

There are a few guys on "Team Camaro" or Nasty Z/28 that run these things. Usually 350cid and larger, with an 850 Holley and a spacer plate under the carb. Looking at the manifold, I'd definitely break in my motor with a conventional intake, and get any teething issues sorted out first; then install the SY.

Here's a link to some CFI discussion
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/ ... hp?t=96633
cottonwood green

Post by cottonwood green »

I remember when a local shop was burglarized, the "smokey ram" must of been a pretty rare piece at that time because every police cruiser in town had a picture of it taped to the dash.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

When one comes up on ebay, it usually sells for around $1000. So they are quite the classic piece.
Joe Facciano
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

JoePorting wrote:When one comes up on ebay, it usually sells for around $1000. So they are quite the classic piece.
An SY1 for a grand? With carb, maybe. I'd have said ~$600; with prices rising gradually during the time I've been watching SY1 auctions.

There's a guy locally with three of 'em, and a couple of Offy crossrams. Told me he'd sell one of the SY1s to me for $400, but I haven't taken him up on it yet.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

You ought to buy it and resell it on eBay for a buy it now price of $1000, assuming it's in good condition.
Joe Facciano
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

wwmtlineman

Post by wwmtlineman »

I was never able to get the Edelbrock cross ram 2 carb setup to run worth a crap on the street or the drags but I had no dyno back then either. That would have been approximately in the late 60s, jetting it right was a nightmare