Modern equivalent of my cam --

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

gregsdart
Re: Modern equivalent of my cam --

Post by gregsdart »

Why not email Camking or a cam grinder with a good reputation all the pertinent info, and ask what he can do, and what to expect? I would think that the info on SBC combos is immense, and they can tell you within 10 /20 hp what to expect, how much of an improvement will result, and most importantly, will know what lobes to cut for you, and what springs to use, etc. That way you won't have to goof around testing. Plug it in where they say, and run it!
1965 dodge Dart, 549 cu in wedge, 8.60 at 156 mph best. 2905 lbs, soon, 8.40s!
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

Wouldn't those heads like a lot more lift to make more power up over 7000 RPM's? I can understand if you are trying to compromise to keep the springs tame for the long term street use? Personally i would be looking SR up arround .600 maybe a lil more
KOLI11

Post by KOLI11 »

gregsdart wrote:Why not email Camking or a cam grinder with a good reputation all the pertinent info, and ask what he can do, and what to expect? I would think that the info on SBC combos is immense, and they can tell you within 10 /20 hp what to expect, how much of an improvement will result, and most importantly, will know what lobes to cut for you, and what springs to use, etc. That way you won't have to goof around testing. Plug it in where they say, and run it!
I totally agree. Support a cam grinder that puts effort into the community.
BigBro74
Expert
Expert

Post by BigBro74 »

Here are a couple of shelf grinds, all SFT, none of which qualify exactly as "modern" grinds, but good all around cams that would work well with your springs "IF" you use 1.5 rockers - NOT 1.6's as you discussed to put with your old cam. with those heads they will all rev up quite a ways on a 325" motor. IMHO most of these cams have been way UNder rated on there MAX rpm POTENTIAL (mot max power RPM), given a small displacement and larger/better heads (.02 cents) have fun PDQ ! :D - Jason

CC 12-224-4 magnum 294S
Isky 201027 z27 solid
Howards 111012-08 solid s/s
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Over on team Camaro years ago, I think we installed the old Z-27 in mbrekke's .040" or maybe .060" over, 327"er. Mighta been the Z-25?, it's been a while... '68 Camaro, 2.54(?) Sag. 4-speed trans..

Run's like a, "scalded dog"!!

Small pop-ups, and 200 cc Sportsman heads. I'm thinking it is right at 10.25 to 1 CR?

Running it through D2k gave something approaching 400 hp... Sim. program or what, regardless, she run's sweet for a little engine, imho..

For my engine, I didn't have the nerve to buy .040" over pistons to make a 327"... That's why it is a 325"er..

pdq67
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

keep the wall thickness as great as possible do not get tempted over a couple of cu in
Read what Joe Sherman says about those old cams and how much he picked up
go with jones pay the equivalent of a consulting fee and run strong out of the box
very few have experience with 302's or Jenkins like 331's or your big bore short stroke combo
especially on a non track/ Bonneville car
if you know exactly where "my cam" closes the intake at say ,oo4 or .006 at the valve and the other seat timing points you can be helped- if you don't then you can't except by starting over with Jones or a Jones like method
stay well my friend
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Lunati cam # 30120516 This is a UDHAROLD camshaft

You can look it up yourself on http://www.lunatipower.com

You can get it from Bullet too.

Keep it like this one, or the one Mike suggested, with your mild street gears.

If you want a bigger RPM (duration) cam put big gears (4.56) in it and a strip dominator.
hereinmissoula

Post by hereinmissoula »

Go to bullet , under ultradyne lobes , look for NF , those are Harold's , should be latest ones . They are more aggressive than the older lobes and will need the spring to support it, lift is higher on NF grinds as well . I also like MA comp lobes , bout as aggressive as u wanna get without heavy spring , no life ...
dr5375

Post by dr5375 »

Hey pdq67, I agree with the newer cams being better for horsepower, But I have ran some of those old cams and one of my favorites was the old "30-30" cam. I had one in a 327/365 in a 57 chevy 4 speed and 4.10 gear. It would pull to 7500 even in 4th gear (ask me how I know) and should have no problem in your 325. I am like you about the sound of a high winding small block. Used to race a Chevy II with 377,4spd and 5.86 gear that I shifted by ear between 7500 and 8000 about 10 to 15 runs every saturday night.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

If you read the way Lunati says to do your rocker geometry I would not trust them with anything
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

dr5375 wrote:Hey pdq67, I agree with the newer cams being better for horsepower, But I have ran some of those old cams and one of my favorites was the old "30-30" cam. I had one in a 327/365 in a 57 chevy 4 speed and 4.10 gear. It would pull to 7500 even in 4th gear (ask me how I know) and should have no problem in your 325. I am like you about the sound of a high winding small block. Used to race a Chevy II with 377,4spd and 5.86 gear that I shifted by ear between 7500 and 8000 about 10 to 15 runs every saturday night.
I have to disagree concerning the great old, "30-30" cam.

I would install an Isky Z-30 before it.

But like I have said, it is a, "knarly" bugger. 290/250, 108, .485" lift and needs .030" hot lash the last time I looked years ago? It might need less now??

7,200 rpm in Tom's old '58 'Vette ragtop with the 375hp/327FI engine, 4-speed and 3.08 regs and little-bitty tires! His big ramshorn dumps were open pointing straight down and at that rpm she was still pulling. I asked him what we were running and he said between 160 and 170 mph....

We went 8 miles in like a, "blink of on eye", late one Sat. evening on a 1/2 pint VO run... Damn I wished that I was 17 years old again!! Back about '63/'64 or so...

pdq67
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

pdq if the docs say its the hip then so be it
I have had the most excruciating pain imaginable in my right leg this last mo. I mean in tears 24/7 yelling

Turned about to be a blood clot that runs the entire length of the leg...and all over my lungs too. Blood thinners are the only reason I am breathing and posting any second could be my last
passed one through my heart last night I was praying like a mofo believe me. Made it.

Go get an ultrasound of your leg arteries takes them 10 min. Could save your life. Nothing to play with its serious business
When you feel better youll get your car going.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

cuisinartvette wrote:pdq if the docs say its the hip then so be it
I have had the most excruciating pain imaginable in my right leg this last mo. I mean in tears 24/7 yelling

Turned about to be a blood clot that runs the entire length of the leg...and all over my lungs too. Blood thinners are the only reason I am breathing and posting any second could be my last
passed one through my heart last night I was praying like a mofo believe me. Made it.

Go get an ultrasound of your leg arteries takes them 10 min. Could save your life. Nothing to play with its serious business

Damn. I've said it before, but it's worth repeating here.

Getting old ain't for sissys.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

cuisinartvette

My old RR/CO Buddy that I was his best man to back in the mid '60's.

We worked on the Railroad together back in the 60's then got away from each other.

He ended up retiring from Moberly Minimum Security Prison after 28+ years because his legs couldn't take the concrete anymore.

Well, he got rear ended and that jambed his hands arms and neck and back up to where he lived in constant pain.

He got to where he would tune out before he died and I didn't catch that his phibitis(S?), might have been the cause of it. His Daughter called me and said he's died two days before he was going to check himself into the University Hospital here in Columbia.

She said that her dad just died reading a book in bed with it on his chest. Never knew what hit him.

I miss my Buddy.

pdq67
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

cuisinartvette

My old RR/CO Buddy that I was his best man to back in the mid '60's.

We worked on the Railroad together back in the 60's then got away from each other.

He ended up retiring from Moberly Minimum Security Prison after 28+ years because his legs couldn't take the concrete anymore.

Well, he got rear ended and that jambed his hands, arms, and neck, and back up to where he lived in constant pain. He lived on T-4's and VO and Pepsi.

He got to where he would tune out a bit before he died and I didn't catch that his phlibitis(S?), might have been the cause of it. His Daughter called me and said he'd died two days before he was going to check himself into the University Hospital here in Columbia. I was with him the Sunday before and was looking forward to visiting him in the Hospital. Talk about hard to handle.....

She said that her Dad just died reading a book in bed with it on his chest. Never knew what hit him.

I miss my Buddy.

My Dad had phlibitis(SP?) back when I was a kid and remember the pain he went through.

Thanks for the heads-up!

At least I don't have any teeth infections so I am going to put them off until after my hip IF THEY will let me?

I'm way, "old-school", and as a little kid remember the old horse needles and such so I would rather take a beating than go to a Doctor or a Dentist!! I remember the constant slap of the old string powered tooth drill... And open wide, this will sting some!! Yah, right.....................

pdq67