Unique OHV mechanism

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

ijames
Expert
Expert

Re: Unique OHV mechanism

Post by ijames »

peejay wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:36 am
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:10 pm In a similar idea, some have filled the tube with oil for hydraulic activation.
Control the oil volume with high speed solenoids to bleed the oil out, and you have the Fiat Multiair system.
And use different diameter pistons at each end and you get the equivalent of changeable rocker ratio. I realize that that wasn't a limitation on a Model T, just thinking if this might have some applicability to today's engines.
Carl Ijames, chemist not engine builder
carl ddott ijames aatt verizon ddott net
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Yes, very interesting but looks like a solution to a non problem or a problem looking to happen...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
clshore
Expert
Expert

Post by clshore »

I first heard of this in an article 25 years ago from Car & Driver (or maybe it was Road & Track) discussing various methods.
If you calculate the mass of all the steel balls vs a tubular pushrod … well, maybe the guy owned stock in a ball bearing factory.

However, I've often wondered if a viable tensile actuator mechanism could be fangled with steel wire/cables or Carbon Fiber.
Rather than tappets, finger followers under the cam with cable/wire attached at the ends to pull them downwards.
Or perhaps use a push/pull cable to achieve Desmodromic operation?

OHC seem to have rendered such fantasies moot ...