How about a "Vintage Engine" tech forum

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Re: How about a "Vintage Engine" tech forum

Post by Truckedup »

I had 51 Willy 4x4 truck with the F head four cylinder Hurricane developed from the WW2 Jeep Go Devil flathead 4. The F head 4 was used in Jeeps until about 1971. 134 cube 4 cylinder rated at 71 hp with huge 2 inch intake valves....
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
wwmtlineman

Post by wwmtlineman »

If you're interested in vintage engines I'd highly recommend a trip to Bonneville Speed Week. I've seen flathead Ford V8s, straight 8 Buicks, Hudson 6 cyl flatheads, straight 8 Nash OHV engines, flathead Ford 4 cylinders & Crosley 4 cylinders. I know guys that hold a ton of records with a turbo/injected straight 8 Buick engine in a Jaguar sedan and a lakester
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

I vote in favor of a vintage section. It need not be sharply defined; posters will sort that out for themselves.
Perhaps a classification based on age and dates of design? Would Cords mix well with flat head Fords?

What we have now is for obsolete engines that are able to compete because of certain racing rules and restrictions.

It is very rare to see posts concerning advanced engine concepts and designs.

Anything that will stimulate an interest in automotive technology would be welcomed.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

That was fast!!! Thank you, Mike :)

I kinda like the 322, straight 8 Buick. I always thought one would look great in a T-Bucket, maybe even angle over at 30 to 45 degrees, with a suicide front end.

The engines that I would like to hear about, in this section, is the old Lincoln K, V12, Cad V12 and the Cad V16. All though engines, were fairly advanced for their time. When I was 18 ('62), I was introduce to a guy that restored cars of that era, in Santa Ana, CA. He had his own wrecking yard and it was the ONLY time, that I ever got a look at the Cad V16 engine. As I remember, it was a very narrow V, maybe 45 degree? I was a hot rodder at the time so, I wasn't interested in restoring anything or I would have hung around at his shop.

Much of the hands on info, has been lost today but, I'm sure there are a few that know something about them, still left?
34owner

Post by 34owner »

Great idea