How about a "Vintage Engine" tech forum

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Re: How about a "Vintage Engine" tech forum

Post by falcongeorge »

Schurkey wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:16 pm But I'm happiest with NO division beyond what's already here. I'll let the threat titles speak for themselves; if I'm interested, I'll click on them. I've learned a lot of stuff from many threads, I'd hate for the forum to get so complex that I miss stuff I might find useful.
Probably 80% of the stuff on here pertains to combinations that see at least some street use, so I would disagree with the first part, but I think the second part of your comment has some validity.
I am only speaking for myself here, but I am hoping that having a dedicated "vintage tech" forum may have the effect of encouraging people to post more vintage stuff than they otherwise might?
motormonkey

Post by motormonkey »

Not much changed in old to new engine tech other than computer management. I think you'll just wind up deviding the traffic between the forum , almost unnecessary in my opinion.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

THe ford and chevy v8 guys might benefit from their own forum.
They are the only ones using jargon that I often don't understand and have to google.

As far as I knew, all engines were allowed.
If it has piston(s) and burns dinosaur sauce I'm game. :wink:
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

But I still do think you need a "retarded" section....for stuff nobody wants to ask but should. Like how to tighten a bolt.
Looking up the wrong spec and overtighten 5 ft-lb at a time?
Maybe it should be anonymous.

BTW no offense my friend that was just first example that came to mind.
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

frnkeore wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:10 pm
pdq67 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:03 pm Back again!
as well as my old Willys 6-banger that had the intake valve in the head and the exhaust valve in the block....
pdq67
I'm afraid the it was the 4 cylinder, "F" head, Willys that had the intake in the head, the 6's where flat head. I had one of each. '58, FC 150 (cab over PU, F head 4 cyl) and '56 Willys station wagon.
Last year I had rebuilt a 6cyl Willy's with the intake valves in the head and the exhaust valves in the block, just like pdq67 described. It was only produced for 3 - 5 years, the problem was ( I think the engine family was hurricane ) <- not sure if that is the correct name but it shares that name with the 4 cyl that frnkeore remembers, every time we tried to order parts they came as 4 cyl parts, bearings were a big problem trying to get a full set for the 6 cyl, I could get all the bearings except one position , nobody recognized that engine as a 6 cyl, a guy in Turkey had the original bearing that I needed, didn't want to deal with that country as I didn't know what could be done to protect myself if the transaction went bad, that single bearing cost close to $50.00. I believe the pistons came from EGGE. It turned out to be a nice running engine, we balanced it and that made a huge difference, all the valves were available, the cam and lifters were pristine and were used over, can't remember how the exhaust valves were adjusted, I think they may have been ground to length for lash, the intake rockers has adjustable rocker arms.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

frnkeore wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:10 pm
pdq67 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:03 pm Back again!

as well as my old Willys 6-banger that had the intake valve in the head and the exhaust valve in the block....

pdq67
I'm afraid the it was the 4 cylinder, "F" head, Willys that had the intake in the head, the 6's where flat head. I had one of each. '58, FC 150 (cab over PU, F head 4 cyl) and '56 Willys station wagon.
I think the 6-banger was the same, but it's been years..

I DD drove one when I worked on the traveling tie gang on the N&W RR way back at like the later '60's... Moberly, MO here...

I had two Willey's HT cars and wished I still had them.

They looked like 50 Fords.

pdq67
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Modok could be onto something with his proposal of another new section,,,, problem is, if guys don't ask dumb questions and get stopped in their tracks, they could well proceed into the abyss of failure with speed of ten thousand startled gazelles!

Computers have definitely contributed to the advance of technology in all aspects, from raw material acquisition to final tune/analysis and everything in between,,, i would say though that the development of materials and heat treatment has been one area where we now have materials/processes not heard of twenty years ago.
Porsche are now looking at metal additive manufacturing for their next generation pistons..Three D printing in metals and composites is going to be the new norm..Can you imagine getting a bottom end assembly for a De-Dion or Cyclone printed? we can currently make these parts with traditional machining methods but at a time and cost premium.

Another topic not given the consideration it needs,, Is the march of emission targets and the global push to get away from fossil fuels.

Probably the majority on this site have a connection to historic vehicles and motor sport. We need to get our position protected in legislation both at state and federal levels. I wrote a letter to the editor for my local state paper called the 'Advertiser' which was printed about 18 months ago. I received one letter from a local candidate for my electorate noting what i had put forward and saying it was a consideration that should be gazetted and discussed, this person was from a conservative party, i did not receive a acknowledgement from the opposition candidate,, i did not expect one as their federal policy was to bring emission targets forward by years and reduce all fossil fuel reliance, at a state level we had the previous government proposing the ban of fossil fuel vehicles from the city center [there is not even a pollution issue with our city]. Our position was not even a consideration.Luckily there was a change of government.

I am writing more letters to my local politicians at a state and federal level, we need confirmation of our existence, or find ourselves legislated out of existence, one way or another, it may well influence our votes direction in the future.

Fraternally.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

hoodeng wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:36 am ... if guys don't ask dumb questions and get stopped in their tracks, they could well proceed into the abyss of failure with speed of ten thousand startled gazelles! ...
Well said, sir.

=D> =D> =D> :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=161036# wrote: At the speed of a thousand startled gazelles - something PTI's said before indicating a physical activity to undertake "When I say go, you will run at the speed of a thousand startled gazelles to the front gate and back......*pause*........GO"
Last edited by Kevin Johnson on Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

The engine family is Hercules. They made engines for all kinds of cars, trucks,tractors and stationary equipment. What year where the F head 6's made? I had not known of them.

pdq, is this the car your referring to, the Kaiser? If it is, it was the first of that body style and came out at the end of the 49/51 Ford body style. One of my uncles collected the last years of them, 51-55.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Boy, was I wrong!

Even though I was a mechanic from '62 - '70, I don't remember ever working on one. I looked them up in my Motors Manual and found that they made them from '51 to '63, the same year they came out with the OHC 6. They were only made in 161 CI (3 1/8 x 3.5 stroke). They lasted a long time but, were only 75 HP, while the 134, 4 cyl F head, was 72 HP.

Thanks for correcting me :)
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

frnkeore wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:25 am Boy, was I wrong!

Even though I was a mechanic from '62 - '70, I don't remember ever working on one. I looked them up in my Motors Manual and found that they made them from '51 to '63, the same year they came out with the OHC 6. They were only made in 161 CI (3 1/8 x 3.5 stroke). They lasted a long time but, were only 75 HP, while the 134, 4 cyl F head, was 72 HP.

Thanks for correcting me :)
frnkeore, no correction needed on this one, this particular engine is called two different names and actually comes in two sizes, it can be called the Aero F 6cyl in 161ci. or the one that I did was called the hurricane engine and the 4 cyl 134 ? ci shared the same name, now I found hurricane pistons for the Willys that were .020 and they fit the 225 ? ci engine which had a bigger bore. All references to the hurricane engine in parts books are aimed at the 4 cyl and nobody even recognized the 6 cyl. the link below shows a auto poster boasting about the new style engine with 7.4 cr and the bigger intake valves, and could run on regular gas, like I said earlier the only guy that had the crank bearing I needed was in Turkey and it cost me close to $50.00 and it was an OEM box & bearing, didn't look pretty ( oxidized ) but it worked well. Fun talking with you, john :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Willys-Car-Ad- ... 0005.m1851
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

Probably going to call it Vintage/Classic/Historical" tech
Incorporating 'Unusual', 'Aero' ......

'Blind Alley' even ...... ton of stuff out there that was never capable enough to become obsolete

Pedantry aside I think it will be relatively self policing
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

https://www.bing.com/search?q=1952%20wi ... 2FADC3A7E0

They were great cars back then, mho,,

pdq67
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Screenshot_2017-06-24-07-59-55.png
Pic of my Willys F head that I did up some years ago. Old thread about obsolete tech. Intake valves in head, exhaust in block, mushroom solid lifters, three main bearings, integral intake manifold. Thanks, Charlie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST