The, "May", combustion chamber ??

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Re: The, "May", combustion chamber ??

Post by BCjohnny »

Neither the MEL nor Chevy W series engines were true 'bowl in piston' Heron designs

Each had an angle cut deck which formed most, or all of the combustion chamber volume
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

BCjohnny wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:15 am Neither the MEL nor Chevy W series engines were true 'bowl in piston' Heron designs

Each had an angle cut deck which formed most, or all of the combustion chamber volume
Yes, you got me there, but the heads are Heron design :wink:
Supposedly the W and MEL wedge shape piston chamber made better torque than a conventional wedge head..
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

Truckedup

More your neck of the woods ...... IIRC the Morini 350 had a full Heron head / piston combo ......
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Since we are on the Heron chamber design and since it was used in MC, how well does it work in a high performance engine?

As I said, AC used it for over 30 years and I do tractor pulls with the 226 engine (4x4.5). In my size engine, you can't get any real quench and we are limited to about 3000 rpm (stock is 1650) so, you can't get much above 10/1 (static) compression because of the cam timing. We are not limited on CI and although it's extremely expensive, some have opened this engine up to 403 CI (4.625x6) to gain HP.

What did the MC version do to make HP and what can you do to make TQ, in general with this chamber design?

This is what the chamber looks like on a early Power Crater engine, they later went to a tapered cup design.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

frnkeore wrote:In my size engine, you can't get any real quench and we are limited to about 3000 rpm (stock is 1650) so, you can't get much above 10/1 (static) compression because of the cam timing.
I'd imagine with custom pistons you could get as much quench as you'd like

Being an older engine the pin is probably far enough down the piston to allow a fair depth of 'bowl in piston' chamber thus quench area ?
What did the MC version do to make HP and what can you do to make TQ, in general with this chamber design?
IANAE but the 2V Morini pushrod, for a MC engine, was in a fairly moderate state of tune ..... but the Heron concept was a blind alley

I'm certainly no cylinder head expert but aspects of a more conventional chambered head, such as pressure recovery influencing discharge co-efficient etc, are absent, and the piston is physically closer to the valve at low lift ..... none of the things are good for flow ?
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

I'd imagine with custom pistons you could get as much quench as you'd like

Being an older engine the pin is probably far enough down the piston to allow a fair depth of 'bowl in piston' chamber thus quench area ?
The picture I posted, is to scale. Note the relationship of the top of the rod and the inside diameter of the ring pack. From memory, the deck clearance is over 3/8" plus the head gasket. Not much available space to work with, within the piston crown.

Just as a guess, I don't think (on this AC engine) that you could get the piston any closer to the deck, than 1/8" plus the gasket and stay in the needed compression range of less than 10/1.

Maxing the cup volume and getting a good intake charge swirl is all the help I can see, at this point but, I can't see quench being available to help turbulence, at least like we do with other combustion chambers.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

IMHO, the best head would be one with 90 degree ports straight up in a flat head.

Put the chamber in the piston, and not the head.

But I am sure there are problems with doing so??

pdq67
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

BCjohnny wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:12 pm Truckedup

More your neck of the woods ...... IIRC the Morini 350 had a full Heron head / piston combo ......
Yes... Moto Guzzi also had a series of 500 to 750 V Twins with real Heron top ends..In 2017 they went to a modified hemi because the Heron head could not pass European emissions.
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Sorry to digress here, but please post up both the MAY as well as the HERON chambers so I an keep track of them,..

Thanks,,

pdq67
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

Heron chamber. Althou there are difference in design. Some a flat head , other has a small chamber in the head.
There was a discussion on ST about the jaguar v12 heads and the "may" head also in there. Just i cant find the topic link to paste it on here. Still figuring that one out.

Chevyfreak
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bowtie for life
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

Got it. I hope.
Chevyfreak

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28861
Bowtie for life
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

pdq67 wrote: please post up both the MAY as well as the HERON chambers so I an keep track of them,..
As these threads usually go we're talking about at least three different types of 'combustion chamber' types now :

1) The May design, heavily biasing the CC around the exhaust valve and mostly in the head itself ...... Jag V12 HE, Merc 280 & Chevy 235 etc

2) The 'angle cut' deck, where the CC is in the cavity left between the angled deck and the (mostly) flat top piston ...... MEL ,Chevy W etc

3) The true 'bowl in piston' Heron design where the CC is mostly in the piston itself,...... original Jag V12 etc, X-Flow etc

The first doesn't have a 'flat' head, the latter two do

I guess for relative completions sake mention should be made of the VW VR6 'design', which is mostly a hybrid of the latter two ...... 'angle cut' & 'Heron' ...... and with it's narrow angle block architecture heavily 'influenced' by the Fulvia V4 !

Obviously if you look further afield there will be many other designs share commonality, or attributes, of all of the above ....... lol ......
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I have to ask??

What does, "MC", stand for?

pdq67
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

pdq67 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:22 pm I have to ask??

What does, "MC", stand for?

pdq67
I would guess motor cycle in this case . :D seeing it was directed to truckedup.

Chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

"MC", motorcycle, make's since!

Thanks.

pdq67