Ford Y-block cylinder head flow.

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

MichaelThompson
Re: Ford Y-block cylinder head flow.

Post by MichaelThompson »

GLHS60 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:08 am The Lincoln/Truck Engines featured a rear distributor like later Y blocks.

They were also intended to be rear sump like Fords previous Engines.

An Engineer put the cross member in the way forcing a front sump.

Only the T-bird received a proper rear sump as was Henrys tradition.

Finally, by 1991, Ford managed to build all rear sump OHC V8 Engines!!

Thanks
Randy

Truckedup wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:53 am Ford's first OHV V8 was the 52 Lincoln engine, also used in trucks. I believe it had a deep skirted block but heads with the more common side by side intake ports..?
When I built the little 292 T-bird engine a few years back I had my 317 Lincoln/Truck engine on the floor of my shop near it.

A person might not realize this but the Lincoln engine is actually a couple inches shorter than even the T-bird Y-block.

Ford has always been lost when it comes to designing the timing cover area in my opinion. The 317 Lincoln/Truck front cover is short sweet and simple. On the other hand the Ford Y-block is bulky, long and heavy.

That’s ^^^ where Ford engine’s fell down and out of favor with early swappers in my opinion. The front oil pumps weren’t as much of a hurdle in most chassis. Five years ‘35-‘40 were the ones with the shallower crossmember that would interfere with say a 289/302 oil pump. Model T to ‘34 and ‘41 to present day the small bump in the oil pan for the front mounted oil pump is not a problem.

Below are pics of a beautiful’40 Coupe with a 289 Hi Po and a Top Loader 4 speed and stock front suspension except for the addition of a ‘41-‘48 front crossmember and a slightly dearched front spring.

I spent a bunch of time and money back in the day to one up with a front cover mounted oil pump for Ford V8’s like a Coyote or LS has today. All for naught, because the problem wasn’t that big a deal and could be solved in a different way.

frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

I have a different take, for the reason they used stacked ports. Starting in '33, Ford used 180 deg manifolds and as we all know, they are very beneficial for lower end performance.

It's my belief that Ford stacked those Y-block ports, to take full advantage of the 180 deg manifold design, with all runners the same length, as near as possible.

Even as a Ford guy, I never liked the Y-block. They were heavy for there size and as a mechanic, from '62-'70, the only Ford that I ever saw, with a cracked block (main to cam journal), was a 312. Also the fact that the 352 & 430 were available, in my early car years, I went with the them. I did admired the 368 though.

The Y-block (239-312) only lasted 4 years as Ford's lead engine but, was the low end V8 until about '70. It also had top end oiling issues, mainly caused by non-detergent oil. I installed many rocker arm oiling kits for them.
MichaelThompson

I think your theory is probably closest to the truth frnkeore.

I remember a story a Ford mechanic used to tell me about his ‘58 Edsel with a 410” MEL under the hood. The valve covers I believe spelled out “E 475” in reference to the rated torque output of this engine.

He was adamant about how no stock Chevs or Mopars could outrun him except for the fuel injected Corvettes.

That was western Pa in the early 60’s. I’d rather be younger but I sure am sorry I missed the early days when American iron ruled and freedom rang throughout the land. 😉
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Actually, my only MEL was a 410, in my '58 Edsel Corsair, I bought it, in '63. It was the sporty model, with a 5K, dash mounted tach. The only other was the Citation, the luxury model. My folks had one of those. I bent push rods and broke spider gears (at least twice, for both) in there car but, not in mine :) The Ranger and Pacer, had 361 FE's.

The 60's were great street racing days in SoCal.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

MichaelThompson wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:30 am Here’s a great Y-block story. Many of you may be familiar with Karol Miller.

http://yblockguy.com/articles/KarolMillerStory.html
Awesome story!!

pdq67
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

Mr Miller is still alive and well, still drives a '56 Victoria with 312 Y block, and is currently building a 6 cylinder Ford project engine. Past 90 years young, and still a Ford guy! He has been in my "skunk works", and is a delight to talk with. He sent me a signed picture of him standing by my flow bench. Joe-71
Joe-71
MichaelThompson

Joe-71 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:06 am Mr Miller is still alive and well, still drives a '56 Victoria with 312 Y block, and is currently building a 6 cylinder Ford project engine. Past 90 years young, and still a Ford guy! He has been in my "skunk works", and is a delight to talk with. He sent me a signed picture of him standing by my flow bench. Joe-71
Great to hear Mr.Miller is doing well and still hot rodding. I found his story fascinating. Thanks Joe!
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

Didn't Jon Kaase build a Y-block for Engine Masters a few years back? He basically redesigned the whole upper end & somehow got insane horsepower out of the thing. Why, I have no idea. So after that, yet another "Kaase-Rule" came down as to how much redesign was permitted. My only contact with Y-blocks was when I bought an abandoned '52 Lincoln with its second blown engine for $25. I swapped a '55 Olds into it. I knew the Lincoln used a GM Hydromatic 'cause in '52 FOMOCO didn't have an automatic that could handle the Lincoln's torque, so the Olds bolted right up to the 'Lincoln' tranny. Pretty ritzy ride for a college student with no job & a pregnant wife.