My next debate: origins of the canted valve Ford cylinder head.

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

Rust Bucket

Re: My next debate: origins of the canted valve Ford cylinder head.

Post by Rust Bucket »

Rust Bucket

Post by Rust Bucket »

Picture above is a vintage add for the BMW M30 inline six.Derived from the four cylinders M10 ,who's developpment started in the late fifties.

Not saying it's the first one or wathever but early to the party for sure.This been a very succesful engine on the racetracks of europe.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Looks more hemi than canted valve.
Rust Bucket

Post by Rust Bucket »

You're right.It's more of a hemi.I'm a bit off topic then.
MichaelThompson

Post by MichaelThompson »

Okay here is a recent discovery detailing Ford’s Indy V8 development.

This is a fascinating SAE paper with lots of surprising information especially considering this was taking place in 1962 & 63.

I’d like to specifically draw your attention to the cylinder head testing that was being conducted. You’ll see that every configuration was tested from inline wedge to DOHC 4 valve which what was finally settled on.

Smack dab in the middle Ford lists the 7 X 7 head which was a canted valve head.

The significance here for this conversation is that Ford was indeed aware of the benefits of “canting” valves and as we all know used that formula to great advantage with the 385 and later 335 series engines.

As I had suspected those later heads were not bbc ripoffs but rather the result of research done in their own racing labs but possibly being inspired to use them by the existence of the strong GM engine.

Anyhow I think you’ll find this interesting.

Download the PDF

https://booksc.org/book/72465960/89dea6
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Thank you, Michael. That is excellent!!!
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

I first saw the color photo with the glowing headers in 1963 on the cover of Hot Rod Magazine and a condensed version of that paper in the article. I had forgotten they considered a helper spring on the lifter (nee rev kit) as necessary. Since that technology is now regularly shot down on this forum, one wonders, with the advances in valve spring technology and cam profiles, if Ford Advance Engine Department would choose to use the rev kit today?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Ford seemed to go all out on the cam side of the valve train, Besides the "Rev Kit" they kept lightening the lifter.

What interested me, was the .06 lifter offset and the 150" radius of the mushroom lifter, using a 3' (.05°) taper on the lobe. Apparently for a vibration issue. I'd be interested in what Mike thinks of those modifications. In those days, Ford used a 37" radius on their lifters. I'd also like to know how their jerk factor of .00038 compares with today's cams.

They also picture a roller lifter but, don't address it. Was there no benefit from it?
MichaelThompson

Post by MichaelThompson »

One of the many advantages of the 8.2” deck Ford V8’s is the compact and ridged valve train.

That being said I think the “rev kit” was employed to minimize pushrod and rocker arm deflection thereby maintaining full valve lift and eliminating lifter bounce and other evil vibrations.