Offy?

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Offy?

Post by pdq67 »

I just got off an Offy site.

Is Offy still viable? And do they still sell all the stuff that I saw in their cat.

And no, I didn't want to hunt this down!

pdq67
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Offy?

Post by engineguyBill »

If you are talking about Offunhauser engines, Offenhauser parts would need to be custom machined these days. The engine was way ahead of its time before the company was purchased from Harry Miller by Fred H. Offenhauser. For example the Offy engine used piston rings that were 3/32" (.094") thick. The company was later sold to Drake Engineering Co., am not sure if they are still in business or not. I am pretty sure that some companies have manufactured pistons, rods, cranks, valves, etc., for vintage racers though. Pebble Beach, etc., those guys typically have pretty deep pockets so the parts will be priced accordingly.

If you are referring to Offenhauser Sales Corporation (intake manifolds, valve covers, engine adapters, etc.) they are still alive and well in Los Angeles. Most of the Offenhauser Sales Corp. parts can be sourced through Speedway Motors or other "hot rod shops".
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Thanks Bill,

Offy Sales Corp. and their manifolds and other engine parts.

pdq67
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Offy Manifolds are in no way shape or form cutting edge these days, so if your looking for a nastalgic look that fine, but done expect top notch power.

That all being said the long runners of there tunnel ram intakes where very streetable!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

At one time Offenhauser Sales Corp was the only manufacturer that offered tunnel ram intake manifolds for 429-460 Fords and 425-455 Oldsmobile engines. Used a bunch of those on flat-bottom jets and v-drive boats back in late 70's, early 80's. They also had a lot of odd-ball stuff like dual quad intake manifolds for several engine applications that were designed to run two Quadrajet carburetors. Offenhauser also had their own dyno at their facility in LA. Can't remember the name of the guy who ran their dyno, but he was a very knowledgeable individual, had many many years of experience going back to the early days of racing, prior to WWII.
Bill

SAE Member (30 years)
Ks Fats
Pro
Pro

Post by Ks Fats »

Bill, that was probably Bobby Meeks; famous for nitromethane V-8 60's in midgets. Used some type of oil additive that smelled like shoe polish to hide the nitro odor.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Well, I'm glad that Offy is still alive and kicking!!

pdq67
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Ks Fats wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:32 pm Bill, that was probably Bobby Meeks; famous for nitromethane V-8 60's in midgets. Used some type of oil additive that smelled like shoe polish to hide the nitro odor.
You are correct, it was Bobby Meeks! Thanks KS
Bill

SAE Member (30 years)
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

pdq67 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:42 am Well, I'm glad that Offy is still alive and kicking!!

pdq67
The company is being run by Fred Offenhauser III, aka Tray, and a handful of other folks most of whom have been there for decades.
Bill

SAE Member (30 years)
V12MECH

Post by V12MECH »

Did't Bob Meeks run Edelbrocks Dyno for 30 years?
Pete1

Post by Pete1 »

Ks Fats wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:32 pm Bill, that was probably Bobby Meeks; famous for nitromethane V-8 60's in midgets. Used some type of oil additive that smelled like shoe polish to hide the nitro odor.
Meeks was probably the first to use that additive except it was used in the fuel. It was later named "Alamask". Extremely concentrated stuff. It only required 2 drops in 10 gallons of alcohol to do the job. We had some also at that time but only ran it in our pit bike.
We only ran against the 27 car twice and timed in faster both times on straight alcohol.
Ks Fats
Pro
Pro

Post by Ks Fats »

Thanks for the info Pete; I never knew what the additive was but it was apparent "something else" was in there. Sounds like it probably changed the specific gravity enough to throw off the tune-up.
Pete1

Post by Pete1 »

Ks Fats wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:22 pm Thanks for the info Pete; I never knew what the additive was but it was apparent "something else" was in there. Sounds like it probably changed the specific gravity enough to throw off the tune-up.
The Alamask had no affect on the tune.
The nitro sure did though.
Nefario

Post by Nefario »

Zakira's Garage near Cincinnati could probably build a complete new Offy engine. I believe they have some of the original Offy casting patterns although I can't find that on their website just now.

https://zakiras.com/?page_id=113
Dave