Stock and hopped Z-28 engines here..

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Stock and hopped Z-28 engines here..

Post by PackardV8 »

Bill Chase wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:03 pm
Truckedup wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:56 am
Bill Chase wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:23 am

Well, as a throwback mix 90's technology and arguably the best factory engineered sbc and integrate it into the original Z28 cars classic looks of the first gen fbody, with the last of the gen1 architecture. I realize the lt1 we're officially the gen2 and had substantial differences, but outwardly still resembles the gen1. A dz302 restomod built circa 1992-1997 was the idea. In this day and age many would argue why use a sbc at all, why not just do an ls engine. Pay homage to the original, satisfying the purists by keeping it at 302 c.i. so what if it's underpowered in comparison. The original dz302 was underpowered, done only to meet class rules. And no offense intended, but why build Studebaker or Packards when so many other engines can be built cheaper and make more power, with reliability and efficiency? Surely a man in your position can appreciate the nostalgic aspect of keeping key parts true to the original build?
Some people, including me,like the challange of getting more power of an old turd.You can't just order parts from Summit...you need to be innovative...
That's my entire point and reasoning for doing a short stroke 4" bore lt1 with as many OEM parts as possible. It would be unique.
For true. You'd think by now I'd know better than to use logic in an essentially illogical decision.

We recently were asked to find a correct date coded '55 265" SBC, bore it .125" to 283", for a restored vintage racer. We didn't waste our breath telling him no one looking at the engine from the outside would ever be able to tell the difference.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

PackardV8 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:23 pm
Bill Chase wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:03 pm
Truckedup wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:56 am
Some people, including me,like the challange of getting more power of an old turd.You can't just order parts from Summit...you need to be innovative...
That's my entire point and reasoning for doing a short stroke 4" bore lt1 with as many OEM parts as possible. It would be unique.
For true. You'd think by now I'd know better than to use logic in an essentially illogical decision.

We recently were asked to find a correct date coded '55 265" SBC, bore it .125" to 283", for a restored vintage racer. We didn't waste our breath telling him no one looking at the engine from the outside would ever be able to tell the difference.
Being a lifetime native of the south bend Indiana area, and having family members (now passed) that actually worked at the Studebaker plant, attending local car shows, cruise nights, 4h fairs etc I have seen a couple of Studebakers being shown that you have done work on. was at a show in Coldwater Michigan last weekend and saw a lark guy had extensive pictures of the restoration process and listed you as the engine builder. you have quite the following in the Studebaker community sir!
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Bill Chase wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:57 amBeing a lifetime native of the south bend Indiana area, and having family members (now passed) that actually worked at the Studebaker plant, attending local car shows, cruise nights, 4h fairs etc I have seen a couple of Studebakers being shown that you have done work on. was at a show in Coldwater Michigan last weekend and saw a lark guy had extensive pictures of the restoration process and listed you as the engine builder. you have quite the following in the Studebaker community sir!
Thanks for the kind words, Bill. Just being the last guy who's still around to answer the phone is probably the reason why.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

My grandfather was part of a forensic accounting team that went over the books at their headquarters after they became insolvent. To hear him tell it a lot of unpaid government contracts, and labor union is what really took them down. I remember being a kid in the 80's and all the local hoopla surrounding the Monte Carlo, I mean Avanti. The aftermath of Studebaker leaving, and within 20 years Bendix pulling out of south bend can still be seen today. When I was a child the constant thump of hammer forges running at Buchanan steel, and the sound of rail cars loading and unloading on the spur that ran right though downtown you could set your clock by the sounds. This area has still not recovered from the loss of Bendix, Clark equipment, and Studebaker. There used to be a Uniroyal plant as well as dodge reliance electric motor company here too. Not to get on a economic or political rant. But to see what was once a proud community of hard working people succumb to poverty, and everything that comes along with it is really eye opening. Within a decade even the schools auto shop, metal foundry, and machining classes were gone. The trickle down effect is unimaginable until you witness it first hand. Mind you I'm talking about the third largest city in Indiana, and everything within a 25 mile radius.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Meanwhile, while Studebaker going into the toilet the big tree were selling cars at a record pace.Think about that..In the day of the 302 Z28 I was told by GM workers that the engines still were a bit warm from casting when they started machining operation....sounds a bit suspicious but Chevy was building millions of engines a year..
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

Truckedup wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:27 pm Meanwhile, while Studebaker going into the toilet the big tree were selling cars at a record pace.Think about that..In the day of the 302 Z28 I was told by GM workers that the engines still were a bit warm from casting when they started machining operation....sounds a bit suspicious but Chevy was building millions of engines a year..

Tonawanda Engine Plant ( still running )

Tonawanda Engine is a General Motors engine factory in Buffalo, New York. The plant consists of three facilities totaling 3.1 million square feet (290,000 m2) and sits upon 190 acres (77 ha). The factory receives cast engine blocks from Defiance Foundry in Defiance, Ohio and Saginaw Metal Casting Operations in Saginaw, Michigan, and received engine block castings and cylinder heads from the former Massena Castings Plant in Massena, New York.

Total engines produced since 1938 – 70,967,249 ( Not sure if this accurate? )
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

I meant to say it sounds a bit suspicious that the blocks were being machined while still warm from the foundry.....
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

Truckedup wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:27 pm Meanwhile, while Studebaker going into the toilet the big tree were selling cars at a record pace.Think about that..In the day of the 302 Z28 I was told by GM workers that the engines still were a bit warm from casting when they started machining operation....sounds a bit suspicious but Chevy was building millions of engines a year..
I can't see how that's even possible. Have you ever been in a large scale engine production facility? Used to do a lot of contract work at international harvester in Indianapolis where the 7.3 power stroke was cast, machined, and shipped out as a complete running engine. The cores would cool for hours before they got removed from the molds, then had the fill spouts knocked off and would spend a few hours on a 1/4 mile long shaker table. From the time of the initial pour until the very first grinding operation would be at least 24 hours, probably more. Maybe Tonawanda was faster, but it seems unlikely. That plant had a huge cash infusion to ramp up production from Ford around that time.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

I worked as a construction electician and did some work in operating production plants and foundries...Yeah machining still warm blocks sounds silly but the guy who told the tale worked at a GM engine plant...But some people will say anthing..