Well they finally did it

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

Mummert
Expert
Expert

Re: Well they finally did it

Post by Mummert »

It really has nothing to do with making electric vehicles work. The real issues are hours of use/ over time to recharge. Typical modern vehicle will run for 5hrs at highway speed and refuel in 5 minutes. The types of devices that could accomplish this rate of transfer electrically in and out of the vehicle arent even close to being ready for civilian use.

The electrical grid as well as the current infrastructure are light years away from supporting it . Every power line, sidewalk, building and home would have to be replaced, dug up, upgraded, and a complete re education of every citizen would have to occur to to deal with High Voltage Transfer devices.

If people arent ready to do this they arent ready to deal with mainstream electric vehicles. Right now I think you get 3hrs of highway speed driving for 4-6hrs of recharge time. The 3 people I know that have had electric cars have said they were a joke and no longer own them.

Just like an RC car they sound like a great toy. If the government was giving them away I would use it, when I wasnt in a hurry. Go plug it in make sure it charged up take the family out to dinner, sounds cool. I would not buy one.

The internal combustion engine is mans greatest invention hands down!!!! No other device, invention or contraption has done more for mankind. Each one turns a human being into Superman. A soccer mom can jump in an f-150 take her kids to school, go get her hair cut, pick up a load of brick at Home Depot, after she went grocery shopping, and be back at the school to get her kids at 3:00 o'clock and there is still 7hrs left before bedtime.

Every item in your shop or home, every road you go down, every structure, narrow, wide, big, small, or tall is there because of one.

They are the basis of all modern aerodynamics, and helped win 2 World Wars.

It has nothing to do with cleaning up the environment, many in the government do not like the fact that individuals have that much mobility and capability. The vehicles, the manufacturers, and the refueling stations and well as the oil companies are independently owned, as they should be.

Electricity was around when the automobile was invented, it was a bad idea then and isn't much better today.

When they can produce a generator without the use of an internal combustion engine we might be getting close :lol:
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:04 am
Kevin Johnson wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:08 am
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:16 pm

There are electric airplanes pending certification.

The one I am working on is VTOL, it flies already.
What's the plan for driver/pilot certification?
It is autonomous, no pilot.
Serious question: Will there be a human pilot controlling it somewhere or is that to be automated as well?

The reason that I ask is in regards to insurance coverage. For example, here is a randomly picked statement on drone insurance:

"How much does Drone Liability Insurance cost?
Similar to underwriting for other types of policies, there are many factors that affect drone insurance cost. Insurance providers will usually assess these elements before they can provide an accurate premium, they need to know if:

"You have logged at least 50-100 flight time hours
You are keeping a maintenance log
You are an FAA licensed drone pilot
You own or lease your drones
You automatically record all flight logs and details
You are flying over water or indoors
You have completed a drone pilot training program
Additionally, your insurer will need to know what type of drones you are operating and what type of equipment or sensors are fitted to the drones.

"Drone insurance cost for up to $1 million coverage can range from $500 to $750 per year depending on experience and background. Higher coverage limits or broader coverage are often available as well. The cost of proper coverage is an investment in your business’s safety and provides affordable peace of mind." https://www.coverwallet.com/general/dro ... of%20mind.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:06 am Serious question: Will there be a human pilot controlling it somewhere or is that to be automated as well?
No pilot, the problem is actually easier than autonomous car.

They have teams of people working on stuff like insurance, regulations, vertiports etc.

It's the new gold rush; only this time billionaires are doing the prospecting and people with special skills are supplying the shovels.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

Sounds very cool what are introductory models gonna cost. Are they gonna be toys for rich people or are everyday joe's gonna be able to afford them. Is it gonna be FAA controlled and follow maintinence schedules like aircraft? Are you gonna be able to fly and store them from/at home, or have to rent a hanger and drive your car there first? Any input on the practicality of it? Will they be subject to luxury taxes? When do you think production models will hit the air?
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

I will avoid electric cars as long as I can.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Mummert wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:48 am Sounds very cool what are introductory models gonna cost. Are they gonna be toys for rich people or are everyday joe's gonna be able to afford them. Is it gonna be FAA controlled and follow maintinence schedules like aircraft? Are you gonna be able to fly and store them from/at home, or have to rent a hanger and drive your car there first? Any input on the practicality of it? Will they be subject to luxury taxes? When do you think production models will hit the air?
I have no awareness of cost.
The initial plan for most companies in this space are to be used as taxis between vertiports.
If your time is valuable, it will be cost competitive vs taking a ground taxi.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Belgian1979 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:07 pm I will avoid electric cars as long as I can.
Both ICE and electric motor sounds are an acquired taste.
I gradually found myself excited about electric motor sounds on a dyno the same way ICE does.
Eventually the purity of electric overtakes.
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

Back to the OP's subject line......have a look at what happened in New Zealand....

In short, 30-odd years ago a badly built "oldtimer" killed some innocents.....the govt stepped in and was close to outlawing individual builds.....a bunch of enthusiasts got together and lobbied to self-regulate "their" vehicles....today, there's pros and cons on what eventuated...however, oldtimers are alive and well in that little country at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean...

https://www.lvvta.org.nz/

https://lowvolumevehicle.co.nz/
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Any residence that has central AC has the electrical capacity to charge any electrical vehicle....Just have to make the choice, cool or car.....But if done at night it might be less of an issue...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
nicholastanguma
HotPass
HotPass

Post by nicholastanguma »

Geoff2 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:08 am Here in Australia in my state , all cars over 3 yrs old require a yearly tech inspection. Some modifications are allowed for street driven cars.

Which state, mate? And which mods are allowed for automobiles? I see that motorcycles go by VIN, and so can get away with enormous mods away from stock.
nicholastanguma
HotPass
HotPass

Belgian1979 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:56 am The gov here implemented tech inspection every 2 years for oldtimers between 30 and 50, every 5 years when older than 50. The sad thing is that all mods are banned. They may only be original.
Right now about 50 % of all oldtimers here are banned from the road as a consequence. Mine included (for the only reason that I have an ITB fuel injection on the engine - rest is original...)

It sure is a victory for the purists.

I really start to hate the EU which is at the basis of this regulation. It has become sort of a communistic regime...

This is amazing news, but not really surprising news. The EU, after all...

Does this leftist nonsense apply to motorbikes, as well?

What's going to happen to all those gorgeous performance modded 2CVs in France, and all those gorgeous performance modded VW Beetles, Porsches 911s, and NSU Prinz TTs in Germany, and all those gorgeous performance modded Fiat 500s and 126s in Italy and Poland?
nicholastanguma
HotPass
HotPass

shoedoos wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:15 pm however, oldtimers are alive and well in that little country at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean...

That's great news! :D

Bad news: Ardern and all her ilk are now in charge. #-o
Camaromeo

Post by Camaromeo »

NewbVetteGuy wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:15 pm
Camaromeo wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:23 am
On the other hand, you can install EFI, BUT you lose oldtimer status. Meaning you have to pay "normal" , not oltimer, insurance and taxes.
What do you think they take as taxes for 6-10l displacement engines with zero emission control and what do insurance companies take for those 2t cars with 4 non boosted drum brakes and 500 hp?
Tax would be unimaginiably high like several thousands per year, same as insurance, IF they take your car at all..

so everybody wants to keep oldtimer status. I mean it makes sense, this era according stuff. But it comes at the cost of freedom in this hobby..
Do you have the exception to the "gas guzzler" / engine displacement taxes for registered "Taxi" vehicles in Germany?

When I lived in Ireland the "gas guzzler" / large engine displacement taxes started at 1.8 liters and up, but the loophole was that registered Taxis don't have to pay the tax. Anyone who wanted a high performance vehicle would just pay to get their car (not themselves as a driver; that was a horrifiic process) registered as a Taxi as it ended up MANY times cheaper than paying the gas guzzler tax.

Adam
If you register it as an oldtimer, you get to keep the status and its not considerung the engine size. IF you are not allowed to keep the oldtimer status due to too modern upgrades, you have to register it normally and tax /insurance is proportionally more expensive
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

nicholastanguma wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:29 am
Belgian1979 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:56 am The gov here implemented tech inspection every 2 years for oldtimers between 30 and 50, every 5 years when older than 50. The sad thing is that all mods are banned. They may only be original.
Right now about 50 % of all oldtimers here are banned from the road as a consequence. Mine included (for the only reason that I have an ITB fuel injection on the engine - rest is original...)

It sure is a victory for the purists.

I really start to hate the EU which is at the basis of this regulation. It has become sort of a communistic regime...

This is amazing news, but not really surprising news. The EU, after all...

Does this leftist nonsense apply to motorbikes, as well?

What's going to happen to all those gorgeous performance modded 2CVs in France, and all those gorgeous performance modded VW Beetles, Porsches 911s, and NSU Prinz TTs in Germany, and all those gorgeous performance modded Fiat 500s and 126s in Italy and Poland?
In 2022 bikes equally will have to pass tech inspection.

And yes the VW Beetles, Porsches etc fall under the same nonsense.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

shoedoos wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:15 pm Back to the OP's subject line......have a look at what happened in New Zealand....

In short, 30-odd years ago a badly built "oldtimer" killed some innocents.....the govt stepped in and was close to outlawing individual builds.....a bunch of enthusiasts got together and lobbied to self-regulate "their" vehicles....today, there's pros and cons on what eventuated...however, oldtimers are alive and well in that little country at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean...

https://www.lvvta.org.nz/

https://lowvolumevehicle.co.nz/
I know. I'm in an oldtimers organization that is trying to get the same thing setup here, but sofar without success though.