Well they finally did it

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Re: Well they finally did it

Post by Belgian1979 »

Truckedup wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:55 pm Any residence that has central AC has the electrical capacity to charge any electrical vehicle....Just have to make the choice, cool or car.....But if done at night it might be less of an issue...
Imagine all people who live in a residential area would charge their car at the same time, let's say at 18.00 h in the evening and during the entire night, so they can go to work. .. can you see the problem?
This is not counting on other issues like the limited range etc. I regularly drive 400-500 kms in a single day for work, so imagine having to go sit somewhere for an extra hour to charge. Who's going to pay? The customer? I don't think so.
nicholastanguma
HotPass
HotPass

Post by nicholastanguma »

Belgian1979 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:18 pm
Truckedup wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:55 pm Any residence that has central AC has the electrical capacity to charge any electrical vehicle....Just have to make the choice, cool or car.....But if done at night it might be less of an issue...
Imagine all people who live in a residential area would charge their car at the same time, let's say at 18.00 h in the evening and during the entire night, so they can go to work. .. can you see the problem?
This is not counting on other issues like the limited range etc. I regularly drive 400-500 kms in a single day for work, so imagine having to go sit somewhere for an extra hour to charge. Who's going to pay? The customer? I don't think so.

How is it a Belgian is possessed of so much good sense, sir? The more I read of your posts on this forum the more I am convinced you cannot possibly be an actual Belgian, for as a conservative American I know for a fact the Northern and Western Europeans are a uniformly brainwashed species of creature with absolutely no grasp of moral decency or simple rational sense.

What's going on with you? :shock:

Or, perhaps I am actually WRONG about all the Belgians being worshippers of the young foolish freshfaced harpy Thunberg and her ilk? Are there some Europeans that...dare I say it...dare I hope it...are not of the self brainwashed self righteous virtue signalling demonic persuasion? :-D
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

nicholastanguma wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:09 am
Belgian1979 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:18 pm

How is it a Belgian is possessed of so much good sense, sir? The more I read of your posts on this forum the more I am convinced you cannot possibly be an actual Belgian, for as a conservative American I know for a fact the Northern and Western Europeans are a uniformly brainwashed species of creature with absolutely no grasp of moral decency or simple rational sense.

What's going on with you? :shock:

Or, perhaps I am actually WRONG about all the Belgians being worshippers of the young foolish freshfaced harpy Thunberg and her ilk? Are there some Europeans that...dare I say it...dare I hope it...are not of the self brainwashed self righteous virtue signalling demonic persuasion? :-D
You would be surprised about how many actually dislike all that is going on. Especially my generation (Gen X)
nicholastanguma
HotPass
HotPass

So I suppose aside from the UK and the few non-EU nations that have not adopted similar legislation the auto and moto scene in Europe has just been killed. No more classic motor racing, all that history, all that culture, all those annual events, all those businesses, just gone in a flash. :(
Heinz1

Post by Heinz1 »

nicholastanguma wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:24 pm So I suppose aside from the UK and the few non-EU nations that have not adopted similar legislation the auto and moto scene in Europe has just been killed. No more classic motor racing, all that history, all that culture, all those annual events, all those businesses, just gone in a flash. :(
I am in Germany, near the Border to Netherland ( 10km ) and Belgium (35km )
I have a Garage and do a lot of Cars, Street and Race / Rallye for Belgium, Netherland Customers.
In Germany nearly everthing regarding modifications on Cars is very clear ruled.
When you know the German TÜV Rules a lot is possible.
The German and Netherland Car Scene, Street, Trackdays and Racing, is bigger then ever.

See what Camaromeo wrote about the German Rules for Oldtimer / Youngtimer.

So no, it´s not a EU Problem, it´s a Belgium problem. Simply adapt the German TÜV Rules or the Netherland Rules.
Just last month we have registrated a Porsche 911 RSR from a Belgian Customer in Netherland who has had the same Problems than Belgian 1979.
Belgium has no excemptions for Oldtimer / Youngtimer Cars like Germany.
Belgium simply forgot the Car scene, to this they have no Car Lobby.

Heinz
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Go talk to the people in Southern California.
Any time they have hotter then normal weather, they have black outs from too many people turning on their AC.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Helmantel

Post by Helmantel »

Here in Sweden, they recently removed the need for inspection for cars over 50 years old. You only needed to have it inspected once more and then never again. Earlier, it was every two years with no special demands on originality. Officially there probably were some, but in practice it was a matter of showing up with proper brakes, adjusted headlights, working lights, tight ball joints and steering rods and not a crazy high CO level at idle. Stuff
that you want to be in order anyway on both your own car and those of other people on the road. Even though I'm not complaining that I don't need to have my 65 Mustang tested anymore, I never considered the inspection unreasonable.

I addition there are regulations for home built cars, like hot rods. I have no personal experience but from what I've seen the main purpose seems to be to avoid dangerous contraptions on the road, rather than removing all the fun and creativity of the builder.

Regarding new car sales, there's a strong electrification trend here. Sales seems to be a bit of a misnomer though. Most seem to be company cars or different forms of leasing, subscriptions etc.
nicholastanguma
HotPass
HotPass

Heinz1 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:52 am
nicholastanguma wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:24 pm So I suppose aside from the UK and the few non-EU nations that have not adopted similar legislation the auto and moto scene in Europe has just been killed. No more classic motor racing, all that history, all that culture, all those annual events, all those businesses, just gone in a flash. :(
I am in Germany, near the Border to Netherland ( 10km ) and Belgium (35km )
I have a Garage and do a lot of Cars, Street and Race / Rallye for Belgium, Netherland Customers.
In Germany nearly everthing regarding modifications on Cars is very clear ruled.
When you know the German TÜV Rules a lot is possible.
The German and Netherland Car Scene, Street, Trackdays and Racing, is bigger then ever.

See what Camaromeo wrote about the German Rules for Oldtimer / Youngtimer.

So no, it´s not a EU Problem, it´s a Belgium problem. Simply adapt the German TÜV Rules or the Netherland Rules.
Just last month we have registrated a Porsche 911 RSR from a Belgian Customer in Netherland who has had the same Problems than Belgian 1979.
Belgium has no excemptions for Oldtimer / Youngtimer Cars like Germany.
Belgium simply forgot the Car scene, to this they have no Car Lobby.

Good to know! My heart is relieved. Thank you so much for clarifying.
nicholastanguma
HotPass
HotPass

Helmantel wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:33 am Here in Sweden, they recently removed the need for inspection for cars over 50 years old. You only needed to have it inspected once more and then never again. Earlier, it was every two years with no special demands on originality. Officially there probably were some, but in practice it was a matter of showing up with proper brakes, adjusted headlights, working lights, tight ball joints and steering rods and not a crazy high CO level at idle. Stuff
that you want to be in order anyway on both your own car and those of other people on the road. Even though I'm not complaining that I don't need to have my 65 Mustang tested anymore, I never considered the inspection unreasonable.

I addition there are regulations for home built cars, like hot rods. I have no personal experience but from what I've seen the main purpose seems to be to avoid dangerous contraptions on the road, rather than removing all the fun and creativity of the builder.

Regarding new car sales, there's a strong electrification trend here. Sales seems to be a bit of a misnomer though. Most seem to be company cars or different forms of leasing, subscriptions etc.

Some good news from the otherwise bleak land of the Priestess Thunberg. Thank you for sharing that not all hope is lost in Sweden!
nicholastanguma
HotPass
HotPass

CamKing wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:29 am
Go talk to the people in Southern California.
Any time they have hotter then normal weather, they have black outs from too many people turning on their AC.

In summer of 2020 it was so bad that the state had official rolling brownouts. The summer heat combined with a spate of wildfires literally overloaded our power grid, so that Governor Nuissance Newsom was forced to put out a PSA stating the state's leftist dream about green energy was simply proven untenable--the California windfarms and solar fields couldn't produce enough energy for everyone in an emergency and there was no way he could hide it and not even the virtue signalling of Hollywood could cover it up, either. :^o

Then, just a few weeks later, Nuissance puts out another PSA stating he's just signed a gubernatorial executive order that our state will be ban the sale of new ICE passenger and commercial vehicles by something like 2035 or 2040. So I suppose he expects by then the rolling brownouts will have become official state policy just to make sure everyone can have a half hour's worth of car charge every night. #-o
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

One might wonder just where does our electrical energy come from? A quick breakdown of energy sources.

Petroleum.........37%
Natural gas........32%
Coal................11%
Nuclear..............9%
...sub total.......89%
Renewables......11%

Of the renewables
Geothermal..........2%
Hydro................22%
Wind.................24%
BioMass..............43%
(source: EIA.GOV)

Renewable energy sources supply only a very small percentage of our national electrical energy needs.
Since hydrocarbon fuels are necessary to produce electrical power, an increase in electrical power demand
will simply require increased use of hydrocarbon sources. Even if the contribution of renewables were to
substantially increase (which it cannot), more hydrocarbon sources will still be necessary.

The electric car makes a wonderful golf cart or fork lift; it stinks as widespread common transportation.
In fact, without substantial government subsidies, electric cars would only carry golf clubs.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Personally, I think "hybrids" are the way to go for regular transportation vehicles.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:20 am Personally, I think "hybrids" are the way to go for regular transportation vehicles.
If gasoline powered engines can be made much smaller, more efficient, and with turbos,
more powerful, (which is being done), what is the advantage of a hybrid considering
the additional weight to be lugged around?

Most street engines are driven at low partial throttle, low rpm, most of the time.
Even a 2 liter engine can now produce 400+ hp, and meet emissions with excellent fuel economy.
emsvitil
Pro
Pro

Post by emsvitil »

David Redszus wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:24 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:20 am Personally, I think "hybrids" are the way to go for regular transportation vehicles.
If gasoline powered engines can be made much smaller, more efficient, and with turbos,
more powerful, (which is being done), what is the advantage of a hybrid considering

Most street engines are driven at low partial throttle, low rpm, most of the time.
Even a 2 liter engine can now produce 400+ hp, and meet emissions with excellent fuel economy.
Regenerative braking.

You get some energy back that then be used later.
Ed
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

emsvitil wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:02 am
David Redszus wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:24 pm

Regenerative braking.

You get some energy back that then be used later.
Recently drove a hybrid. The amount of energy you get back to charge your batteries is only marginal. I got the car with an empty battery and I had to shut off the hybrid drive completely to make it charge the batteries. And then after about 40 kms of driving it was back where I started...Mind you I don't have the time to sit around in a parking lot and wait while the car is charging...neither do my customers. So I ended up driving on fuel most of the time and then it was using more of it than my equally powered diesel car. And the difference was quite big: 4,2l/100 km vs 8 l/100 km....go figure.