Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags - anyone here compete?

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

CamKing
Guru
Guru

Re: Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags - anyone here compete?

Post by CamKing »

MadBill wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:37 pm
CamKing wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:30 pm Check out the engine builder's name :wink:
I'm guessing that'l be your Dad? :)
Yep.
First stock bodied car to break 200mph
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Aces! =D>
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Ks Fats
Pro
Pro

Post by Ks Fats »

Think about the sound of that Hemi with those pipes, full song @ 200mph; had to make the hair stand up on the back of your neck. Thanks for sharing mike...
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Ks Fats wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:06 am Think about the sound of that Hemi with those pipes, full song @ 200mph; had to make the hair stand up on the back of your neck. Thanks for sharing mike...
My Dad also said it was one of the first adaptations of ground effects he had seen.
At about 180+mph, the back end would want to come around, and the driver would have to let off.
One of the owners, cut a hole in the floorboard, and ran a duct to a hole cut under the rear window.
Next time out, went right past 200mph, no issues.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Mike, what year was it when the car exceeded 200 mph?
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Rick! wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:46 am So, these guys can't play?
https://www.fastdrags.com/

They got Polyglas GT tires and Firestone Wide Ovals... :)
They have a "Factory Stock" division however, the engines are more like NHRA stock and allowed certain modifications.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

There are two groups:

Pure Stock is pretty much that, only a .060" or less overbore allowed and everything else internal is pure stock.

Factory Appearing Stock Tire has to look original externally. Internally, anything goes; strokers, roller cams, forged pistons, custom rods.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Truckedup wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:51 am Mike, what year was it when the car exceeded 200 mph?
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
Chipster

Post by Chipster »

The car is currently on display fully restored at the Simonsons truck stop/long haul saloon, corner of US 2 and I 29, in Grand Forks ND.

The informtaion on the sign has 354 cu in hemi by Dick Jones, 700+ HP, 6 carburetors. Body by Jim Gander, Driver by John Simonson.

In the 60's to the late 80's Jim Gander had a small everthing for your car shop that everybody went to if you wanted the best, Body Work to the only distriutor machine in town, It was a block or so away from Simonson Lumber On North 3rd street.

As a young pup of 56 I've heard many stories from the guy's involved about the how and why of how it all came about, but long forgotten by me!!!!

The sign next to the car has October 1st 1962, 207.xxx first pass, 208.xxx return trip. Fastest stock body car.

PS: The WOO sprint cars are in town (8-20-2021) tomorrow, I didn't have a chance to take pic's but if you have any friends on the tour have them take some when they fill up.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

PackardV8 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:47 am There are two groups:

Pure Stock is pretty much that, only a .060" or less overbore allowed and everything else internal is pure stock.

Factory Appearing Stock Tire has to look original externally. Internally, anything goes; strokers, roller cams, forged pistons, custom rods.
If you are talking about the "Factory Stock" class in the FAST asociation then that is not true.
Those "Factory Stock" engines are allowed 2 points of compression increase from O.E.M. ... any camshaft of the same type as long as the valve lift remains as produced O.E.M. ... any valve spring which remains the same physical size ... any valve job but, no porting. ... any piston & ring, connecting rod, crankshaft combination as long as the CID is not changed.
Those are pretty severe allowed changes.

In other words ... rules which can be easily enforced, not just written.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Here is a link to the Pure Stock Muscle Car rules:

https://purestockdrags.blogspot.com/p/rules.html
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

PackardV8 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:28 am Here is a link to the Pure Stock Muscle Car rules:

https://purestockdrags.blogspot.com/p/rules.html
YES ... they are a different organization than FAST who has their own division for Factory Stock as well as Factory Appearing, Stock Tire.

Sometimes, they even share the track rentals and run their events at the same time
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

Hard to imagine how these cars can cut 2 to 3 seconds off et and still be called Pure Stock.
StockerChevy

Post by StockerChevy »

Technology has come a long ways even for the Pure Stock drags. The 1.5 increased compression rule helps immensely as most cars from that era probably did get to advertised compression from the factory to begin with.

If you read the rules closely, lift and duration are 2%/1% of factory spec. You do not need to run the slow lift factory cams for waranty reasons. The rule came about because repoduction cams became nonexistent for many models. To make these motors show the potential, max compression and retard the camshaft a bunch. Push the powerband higher and gear the car to offset the tiny tires.
HemiJoel

Post by HemiJoel »

The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race (PSMCDR) is a once a year event. It is for 1957 - 1974 Muscle cars. This has nothing to do with any NHRA pure stock, stock, or factory stock classes. They have their own unique rules and race format. It is an event for fun, there is no money or prizes. Tech is not too intense IMO. They run all best of 3 shootouts against their closest qualifying competitor.
The PSMCDR is the genesis of the Factory Appearing Stock Tire. PSMCDR racers who wanted to look legal, but make undetectable mods went on to start F.A.S.T.

I was one of the original organizers of FAST, one of 4 guys on the the original board of directors. We wrote the rules, designed the race format, organized and ran the events, recruited sponsors, enforced tech, all that stuff. But we got a lot of flak for doing that plus competing. We did it so we could race in a venue that fit our passion for stock appearing muscle cars. If we hadn't, the FAST class, the events, or none of it would exist. And we wouldn't be able to race. But none of us would have done all that work if we couldn't race.
We came up with a really fun race format: It's all true side by side heads up racing with a Pro tree. No handicap starts, no index, brackets, or break out rules, the cars are not weighed, there are no classes within FAST. You make qualifying passes. The quick 8 go into a pro ladder: 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, etc. The winners advance to the next round until we establish the winner. The first round losers go into a consolation ladder to determine a consy winner. Qualifyers 9 and slower go into a best of 3 shootout against their closest qualifying competitor. 9 v. 10, 11 vs. 12, etc. So everyone gets at least 2 rounds of close, heads up racing. The serious racers bring a Hemi or an L88 vette, or something very capable and go for the jugular. The guys with the slower cars are there for fun and get a good close race with a closely matched car. And it's all real racing, no one can lose by going too fast. There are several events per year.

I competed in FAST for 10 years, From the beginning until 2010, running a 426 Hemi, 4 speed 67 GTX. The car was competitive in its day, running 10.80's. Today, that's not enuff.

I don't know how someone could have $100K into an engine. Unless they called up Ray Barton or someone and said "build me an all out, cost is no object FAST engine and I'll pay for all the R&D." or something like that. I had less than 20K into my Hemi and it made 765 horse on the engine dyno using the correct, original exhaust and intake manifolds, carbs, heads, and block. There is so much you are NOT allowed to do, it's hard to spend a lot. Much of the effort is massaging stock parts. If you do it yourself, that is not costly. Yes, you have to buy a roller cam and lifters, good valvetrain parts, reciprocating assembly, etc, but nothing exotic. $1200 to have the stock iron Hemi heads ported, plus the cost of Ti valves. I think I paid about $400 to have the exhaust manifolds extrude honed, and it didn't really do much good. You are still working with a 2-1/2" exhaust system back to the bumper and mufflers.
The biggest limiting factor was the tires. The G70-14 redline bias plys, right out of the Coker catalog are the great equalizer. It doesn't matter how much power you have if you can't hook it to the track.
GTX at Morrocco.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.