Moonshine runners Flathead vs. Caddy V8’s

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

54chevkiwi
Pro
Pro

Re: Moonshine runners Flathead vs. Caddy V8’s

Post by 54chevkiwi »

MichaelThompson wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:51 am
frnkeore wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:00 pm
This brings me back full circle. I think the balance was lost on those little Ford’s that acquired the big Kettering V8’s
It wasn't the extra 170 lb on the front, that changed the handling, it was the 700 lb of shine.

I'm sure, this is where Jr Johnson "shined" and why he became such a good driver and chief Mechanic. The cars needed to be setup for the pay load and not empty.
Oh for sure, I agree by the time one of those cars was fully loaded with its payload they were pushing 4000 pounds. That kind of tells the story right there.

Those big Caddy’s and Olds’ were in that weight range. The torque of those engines combined with the stronger gearbox would probably make the little Ford coupes squirt out of the corners like nothing else. To look at one all done up though you’d think you were driving a truck.

My buddy owns a moonshine car that was still Flatty powered. The modifications to the suspension were quite clever like dual lever style shocks, heavy springs with over riders, the later factory panhard bars, Lincoln brakes etc.

It’s a pretty cool deal and it’s real.

Think you could get some pics to post?? That sounds awesome...
54chevkiwi
Pro
Pro

Re: Moonshine runners Flathead vs. Caddy V8’s

Post by 54chevkiwi »

Sorry for the few months bump guys, but im 37 and from new zealand, currently living in virginia.. i think that stuffs fascinating.. that history.. how that car was built back then... we dont have historical stuff like that back home