Best 70’s vintage SBC build.

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Re: Best 70’s vintage SBC build.

Post by frnkeore »

I'm a old guy and vintage to me says, a look, prior to the 67 350.

But I'm a racer and hot rodder so, I would build a long rod 400, with Camel hump 2.02's (aluminum if they are aftermaket available), If FT, a modernized 30/30 cam (or anything I wanted, including roller. There where LOTS of street driven, mech roller cams in the 60's and 70's) and top it off with a Edel 6x2, Cross Ram. I'd then throw it in a 55-57 Chev, fender well exit headers and eat Camaro's.

BUT, being a Ford guy, I'd have to spank it's ass with a modernized 427 or 428, in my '54 Ford ;)
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

frnkeore wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:18 am I'm a old guy and vintage to me says, a look, prior to the 67 350.

But I'm a racer and hot rodder so, I would build a long rod 400, with Camel hump 2.02's (aluminum if they are aftermaket available), If FT, a modernized 30/30 cam (or anything I wanted, including roller. There where LOTS of street driven, mech roller cams in the 60's and 70's) and top it off with a Edel 6x2, Cross Ram. I'd then throw it in a 55-57 Chev, fender well exit headers and eat Camaro's.

BUT, being a Ford guy, I'd have to spank it's ass with a modernized 427 or 428, in my '54 Ford ;)
I'm an even older vintage guy and share your passion for period-correct looks, but let's be reasonable. Looks fast/sounds fast doesn't mean goes fast by today's standards. A 30-30 was junk when new; that it cost $27 was the only reason anyone ever ran it. Seventy-year-old cam profiles, whether roller or flat ain't gonna eat any Camaros who run today's good stuff. And that Edelbrock 6x2 cross ram was maybe the best-looking-worst-performing intake ever!! Same with an FE; we'd better only race classics against others on the Senior Tour.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Hi Jack. Are you older than 77. I'd love it if you are. I'm always looking for guys older than me :) I still have that old 60's Ford against the world rivalry :twisted:

As I said, I'm NOT a Chevy guy but, ran around with them in my early days. What I meant by modernized 30/30 was what ever duration it had @.050 with a modern, aggressive lobe but, keep the LSA for a little better streetability. I noted the mech roller cam, not for the lobes used in the 60's but, for modern lobes. I also noted "or anything I wanted, including roller".

Now regarding the 6x2 X-ram, I ALWAYS loved the old 6x2's, for there looks and sound and I would bet that it would out perform pre 67 factory manifolds, at higher rpm, including the 2x4 vette manifold. But, I don't doubt that a TR would out do it, that would be my second choice.

Regarding the FE, I don't know if your aware that in the last EMC comp, the FE took 1st and a 289 Ford (not Stud :) )took 2nd, over a BBC, Kaase built engine? SBC's were barely also rans. Modernized FE's are a force to be reckoned with :)
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

frnkeore wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:02 amRegarding the FE, I don't know if your aware that in the last EMC comp, the FE took 1st and a 289 Ford (not Stud :) )took 2nd, over a BBC, Kaase built engine? SBC's were barely also rans. Modernized FE's are a force to be reckoned with :)
Modernized, for true. As long as all the Ford parts are replaced with aftermarket, they run real well. ;>)
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Blair did run a a ported, stock cast iron heads, the common C4AE-G and stock crank. Mummert also had ported stock heads, crank and rods. Not sure about Blairs rods. Ford also made some better intakes but, they were 2x4, not legal for the EMC.

Only the intakes were modern. Victor on Blairs and Air gap on Mummerts. Both made a little more than 1.5 hp per ci and with more cam and intake, they could have produced a lot more.

After that, you can add ci and after market heads.
408swinger
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 408swinger »

ClassicRob wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:16 pm
dfarr67 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:00 am The OP is getting much the same answers as the 'other' thread that were apparently upsetting.
The 'other' thread's parameters were period correct 70's factory/modified parts for 600hp and 11sec in a 1977 camaro.

I'll say no more.
NOBODY has said 600hp. 450 isnt even close to 600. This thread isnt about parts, its about design. I agree it seems redundant but I figured there may be some vintage gurus who frequent here with some more answers. I honestly don't even need the replies here, and would delete it if I could. The other thread has grown and covered many aspects of the build. Thanks

I get what you mean ... I have a 69 Swinger 340 and built the engine using parts available in the 70s . I am running a 4" crank which was kind of available in the 70s albeit exotic .... W2 heads , Victor intake , roller cam . Just Dynoed it at 495 .
Guys builthot cars in the 70s and I really dont need 700 horse on the street .