392 Hemi

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

392 Hemi

Post by Truckedup »

I get on the HAMB hot rod site frm time to time ..Many guys there go on and on how the first generation Hemi is so powerful...How much power can a 392 make on pump gas and be a tolerable street engine?
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
In-Tech
Vendor

Re: 392 Hemi

Post by In-Tech »

How much money you got? :mrgreen:
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

In-Tech wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:39 pm How much money you got? :mrgreen:
10 grand
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Not enough, lol. Supercharged(screw)/Intercooled IAT under 130f you can make 2:1 hp per cu in Hemi, 87 octane
-Carl
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

I'm interested in N/A, one or two four barrel carbs,a hot rod engine. cam, headers, good valve work,etc.
...I'm thinking 450 hp from a well tuned first generation street engine
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Not a problem with a good intake and exhaust, keep the stepped exhaust, small to big. 1.5 to hp/cid fairly easy with good planning. The hemi chamber is very forgiving to octane. Cam events are critical too especially rpm and exhaust tract.
-Carl
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

In-Tech wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:00 am Not a problem with a good intake and exhaust, keep the stepped exhaust, small to big. 1.5 to hp/cid fairly easy with good planning. The hemi chamber is very forgiving to octane. Cam events are critical too especially rpm and exhaust tract.

Most if not all older bikes have true hemi chambers...They are not forgiving to octane and detonation can be a problem on pump gas even on stock engines...Yes they are air cooled ...
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Truckedup wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:19 am
In-Tech wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:00 am Not a problem with a good intake and exhaust, keep the stepped exhaust, small to big. 1.5 to hp/cid fairly easy with good planning. The hemi chamber is very forgiving to octane. Cam events are critical too especially rpm and exhaust tract.

Most if not all older bikes have true hemi chambers...They are not forgiving to octane and detonation can be a problem on pump gas even on stock engines...Yes they are air cooled ...
They are very forgiving to octane, what they are not forgiving to is preignition. Bro, I know you know what you're doing. 2tc toyota in the early 90's and many 1000's of hours on the dyno is how I was playing. There is no way to scavenge the cross flow hemi chamber, so all you have left is to control the combustion of said leftovers.
-Carl
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Truckedup wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:24 pm I get on the HAMB hot rod site frm time to time ..Many guys there go on and on how the first generation Hemi is so powerful...How much power can a 392 make on pump gas and be a tolerable street engine?
Even though your hemi experience is air cooled, you probably know as much about potentials as most HAMBurgers.

There's a lot of real world experience on any obsolete engine on the H.A.M.B.; sifting it out is the challenge. The guys-who-know get buried among the dozens of wannabee replies to any thread and the dozens of threads per hour.

In my limited experience years ago, street-drivable-normally-aspirated hemi power peaks early. As you know from your Triumphs, as compression goes up, the combustion chamber shape goes large-area-squished pancake and the piston dome gets in the way of breathing and spark. Flattops down in the hole were one reason the early hemi ruled blown fuel. Once the NHRA banned fuel, the SBC was all over the early hemi.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Yes, the dome used in a hemi chamber is a bad thing, flat dome always makes more power even with less compression, regardless of cam timing. This was 18:1
CAM00142.jpg
CAM00143.jpg
CAM00144.jpg
CAM00145.jpg
CAM00146.jpg
CAM00147.jpg
CAM00156.jpg
CAM00160.jpg
CAM00161.jpg
CAM00162.jpg
CAM00163.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Carl
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

In case anyone is wondering about the cut pipe in a couple pictures, that's what I found in the backyard to make my tapered sleeve and ring squaring tool out of. :mrgreen:
-Carl
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Truckedup wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:41 pm I'm interested in N/A, one or two four barrel carbs,a hot rod engine. cam, headers, good valve work,etc.
What is the application? A '57-'58hothemiheads.com392" weighs about 765# and is wiiide. The Hot Heads guys have a lot of good aluminum heads, intakes, water manifold, et al, to get the weight down, but it's an expensive build. The other problem is finding a good core is almost impossible. I haven't seen one in years.
hothemiheads.com
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

PackardV8 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:08 pm
Truckedup wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:41 pm I'm interested in N/A, one or two four barrel carbs,a hot rod engine. cam, headers, good valve work,etc.
What is the application? A '57-'58hothemiheads.com392" weighs about 765# and is wiiide. The Hot Heads guys have a lot of good aluminum heads, intakes, water manifold, et al, to get the weight down, but it's an expensive build. The other problem is finding a good core is almost impossible. I haven't seen one in years.
hothemiheads.com
Jack, it's just a idea right now....I can see 10 grand won't go very far...
InTech, pistons I use in the race bikes, 10.5 compression, flatter top , a narrow squish band around the piston about .032 clearance. On street bikes about 9.2 compression, 100 degree intake lobe center, runs ok on 91 octane You can see the squish band in the photo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya trucked, I've been out of the toyota game for a while. I talked with Mike about doing some tight lobe center stuff but there just aren't any UGL cores around anymore. It was fun to play with :)
-Carl