How Effective Will This Be As An Oil Cooler?

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Re: How Effective Will This Be As An Oil Cooler?

Post by Truckedup »

This is a 70's oil bearing frame on my land speed racer Triumph. The oil as mentioned is contained in the 3 inch rear down tube, holds about two quarts in the frame and another half quart in the engine and oil lines. You can see the filler cap just in front of the seat...For road racing with 750cc engines making 70 plus HP at the rear wheel, a small oil cooler was added. For LSR , only a quart or so of oil is neededy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
nicholastanguma
HotPass
HotPass

Post by nicholastanguma »

Truckedup wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:04 am This is a 70's oil bearing frame on my land speed racer Triumph. The oil as mentioned is contained in the 3 inch rear down tube, holds about two quarts in the frame and another half quart in the engine and oil lines. You can see the filler cap just in front of the seat...For road racing with 750cc engines making 70 plus HP at the rear wheel, a small oil cooler was added. For LSR , only a quart or so of oil is neededy

Gorgeous! And 70+ whp is lusty indeed! =D>
Momus
Pro
Pro

Post by Momus »

adam728 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:37 pm The Honda XR400 oil cooler is a simple and durable cooler for adding a bit of heat shedding. Popular with dirt bike guys and I've seen it used on some street bikes. Made to go around the head tube, some have used it on the downtube as well.

0cd7c22121a1d40bac2c00ea6d932ad7.jpg

CAEB27E9.jpg
Ditto. I've done several cooler conversions using these. They can be squeezy around the head stock.
I convert to AN fittings.
There is an XR250 cooler with a couple less rows.