Making an obsolete engine relevant again.

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

dfarr67
Expert
Expert
Making an obsolete engine relevant again.

Post by dfarr67 »

Just a general question- adding boost to an under achiever (Toy 22RE), 115hp to 180-200hp lower rev range. Is it still a POS or does boost give an old type engine a new lease on life. Too late for this project now I am committed- but always wondered whether I should have chose a newer power plant. To qualify a little bit- turbo ready build, efi with good injectors and a modern type ecu.
Racer71
Pro
Pro
Re: Making an obsolete engine relevant again.

Post by Racer71 »

It can plenty of power if tuned properly and the right size charger you can at bare minimum double the power output
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

You call that obsolete? Those are still in used daily in some parts, and all parts are available.
the 18R is perhaps obsolete

Turbo should work fine, inter-cooled I assume. Icon has some interesting pistons for that, might fit what your doing or might not.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

Short block traded for, was turbo ready with dished pistons. I guess I am thinking of port and chamber contributions to power these days. Ignition is LS CNP, on board WB and knock. Was thinking meth inj- but if the tune is good (conservative- think 4x4) I'd rather not have to deal with reliability concerns. Log turbo manifold so no high rpm operation, I cleaned up the runners and did some chamber work, upsized the valves, small CC cam- exhaust deshrouded and if the head comes off- the intake will be done too. I preferred to work with the platform over shoe horning an inline six in or a (once available complete) oem MR2 turbo engine, 4.8 LS, or 4.3 Toy- if it had a 3.slow- different story. This has a 5spd now- but when it was auto- it was a slug in the mountains. Turbo is a question mark- I know a bit more about them now but the manifold is firmly in the KKK footprint.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.