355 y block on the Dyno

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Re: 355 y block on the Dyno

Post by frnkeore »

Thank you, Ted.
JC565Ford
Expert
Expert

Post by JC565Ford »

That is one good running dinosaur.

Well done.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Geoff, Is this a 292 block and is it filled at all?
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

Yes its a 292 block, and it filled a little over 1/2 way.
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

I've never had a Y-block but, I've always been interested in all things Ford, including the sister 4 cyl tractor engines (I have 7 of those). I'm a machinist and I keep a record of all the engine specs and dimensions I can find.

Ford's cylinder wall thickness spec for the 292 was .170 and that was the same wall spec, for at least the first 3 years of the FE. Same block core but, a little different spec for the 312.

Did you do a sonic map of this block? If so, what was the max & min walls and because they had a different wall spec for the 312 (.145 vs .170) was the core shift better on these 292 castings? Were some of the truck blocks heavier castings?
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

Like most block I've sonic checked the OD is oval. They typically have more material on thrusts than they do the sidewalls. The specs you are quoting would be the minimum on a std bore block. .070" overbore is very common on a 292. .090" is doable on many 292 block. You have to look pretty hard to find one that will go .110" over and still have cylinder walls suitable for performance use, but they are out there.
Like many common engines they had to have many pattern sets to build those engines. At the height of production they were making approx. 3000 engines a day. Those old pattern makers were true craftsman for sure, but there is some variance in them.
Mummert Y-blocks
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Thank you for that, Geoff.

I do have a '58 cylinder wall reference that says that the .170 in a minimum spec but, not all say minimum. In my FE's, it does hold to be true with some slight variation between cylinders.

I was wondering what you would consider a minimum thickness in any one area for a performance build w/o fill?

Here is that reference for Min Cyl Wall and the sonic map for my '58 Edsel, 361 after boring .060.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

Your sonic does not show show thrust minor and major. The thrust major is opposite the rotation. If you are looking a the front of the block its the left side of all the bores.
The thrust major should be .150" or better. The thrust minor should be as close to .150" as you can get. Sidewalls should be .100" or better. These specs would good for for a hot street build.

An endurance race build we shoot for another 25% if you could get it.

Filling blocks isn't the worst thing. Many older engines just have too much water in them. I think Y Blocks run cooler filled to the bottom of the freeze plug. They just seem to move the water more effectivley around the important parts of the cylinder. You need to add extra piston clearance to filled blocks. Remember that!
Mummert Y-blocks