355 y block on the Dyno

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

Mummert
Expert
Expert

355 y block on the Dyno

Post by Mummert »

We got some time to throw the 355 on the dyno and play with a few things
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Re: 355 y block on the Dyno

Post by Mummert »

<iframe title="vimeo-player" src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/673498812?h=89d87aad37" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Mummert Y-blocks
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

WOW, amassing!!!

1.7 hp/ci from a early 50's engine design?

Geoff, what can you tell us about it? I'd love to know the details.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

frnkeore wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:37 pm1.7 hp/ci from a early 50's engine design?
The saying has been around forever, but I first heard it when TRACO was hired to win TransAm for AMC. Some Hot Rod Magazine guy how they were going to make a Rambler competitive. I don't recall if it was Jim Travers or Frank Coon who said, "The dyno don't know whose name is on the rocker covers."
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

- 3.860" bore 3.800 stroke
-14.25:1 compression
-268* @.050 263*@.050 .630" lift
-1.97" 1.51" valves
- CFM 275 int 195 exh
-1.7 roller rockers

This engine has always been stout even in its original form in 2016 with a single 1050 dominator it made 576hp 480 tq.

Revamping this engine was more about details, the cam, compression, crank rods, valve size are all the same as its first phase.

Fuel atomization and distribution were at the top of our list. Alot of data we compiled over the last 10 years told us these engines have issues processing fuel. Aggressive port texture, annular booster carbs, and some ugly valve job technology. Only 3hp change from 28 to 32 degrees timing.

Extra cylinder wall clearance, over the years of drag racing these engines we have seen xtra clearance be a good thing. This engine has .0075"
Mummert Y-blocks
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Goeff, I've got a lot of questions, if your willing to comment on them :)

What gas are you using with the 14.25 CR?

What carbs did you put the annular boosters in, 660's?

What crankshaft are you using, for the 3.8 stroke? I know in the 70's, since the bore spacing is the same, some builders, reground the 3.1 stroke Y-block crank to use in the 289. Does anyone used the 351 cranks in the Y-block?

How long are the rods?

Who makes the heads? It's hard to believe you can get such good numbers from stacked ports :)

The 268° duration, is on the intake?

Last, I have the Linc Y-block deck height but, I haven't found the Ford Y-block height, it's the only Ford V8 that I don't have that info.
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

frnkeore wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:15 am Goeff, I've got a lot of questions, if your willing to comment on them :)

What gas are you using with the 14.25 CR?

What carbs did you put the annular boosters in, 660's?

What crankshaft are you using, for the 3.8 stroke? I know in the 70's, since the bore spacing is the same, some builders, reground the 3.1 stroke Y-block crank to use in the 289. Does anyone used the 351 cranks in the Y-block?

How long are the rods?

Who makes the heads? It's hard to believe you can get such good numbers from stacked ports :)

The 268° duration, is on the intake?

Last, I have the Linc Y-block deck height but, I haven't found the Ford Y-block height, it's the only Ford V8 that I don't have that info.

- The engine is running Q16 Vp on these dyno pulls

- The carbs are built by Mike Larusso using billet 3 circuit, tall venturi main bodies

- The crank is a Crower billet 3.800 stroke 1.771" rod journal

- Rods 6.200" Crower Maxi Lite rods

- We make the heads at John Mummert Y block and the ports are stacked

- More duration on the intake, I've never seen engines with short collecters ( no tail pipes) respond to extra exhaust duration

- Ford Y Block Deck Ht is 9.775"
Mummert Y-blocks
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

You got a photo of the head off the engine laying on a bench?
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

I don't think I have images of these exact heads but pics of heads that are very similar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mummert Y-blocks
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

You must have the appropriate safety glasses for the job.
Mummert Y-blocks
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Is there room in the block and cam, for a 4" stroke?
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

Its real tight but Ted Eaton has done it bunch. We usually hold back on the displacement a bit.
Mummert Y-blocks
Ted

Post by Ted »

frnkeore wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:02 am Is there room in the block and cam, for a 4" stroke?
Actually there is room for a 4.300" stroke with some careful connecting rod selection. That's a one inch stroker. With a 4.000" stroke and Honda rod journals, typically not a problem. Camshaft clearance issues are what will crop up before anything else. With strokes over 4.000" and up to 4.300" and still using the Honda journal, a connecting rod with an angled parting line is used. Ted Eaton.
Ted Eaton
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Ted, OT but, have you worked with the 368 Linc Y-block? I've always liked that engine and though that, with it's 10.94 deck ht, you could easily do a 4.50 stroker, if there was cam room and enough skirt clearance.
Ted

Post by Ted »

frnkeore wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:09 am Ted, OT but, have you worked with the 368 Linc Y-block? I've always liked that engine and though that, with it's 10.94 deck ht, you could easily do a 4.50 stroker, if there was cam room and enough skirt clearance.
Not much to do with the LYB engines here other than working on the stock combinations. Always cringe when one of those engines shows up as parts for the LYB family of engines are not just sitting and/or readily available on the shelves. Royce Brechler would be the person to talk to about LYB performance and possible stroker combinations. He has made a good showing with them at several of the EMC competitions. Ted Eaton.
Ted Eaton