65 BBC top end problem

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

Dave Koehler
Vendor

Re: 65 BBC top end problem

Post by Dave Koehler »

BB Al wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:08 am Well I found my noises and it isn't coming from the top or not mostly from the top anyway. I finally exhausted/eliminated all possibilities with motor in the car so I pulled the motor. Pulled intake and Cam shaft in order to inspect Cam bearing alignment and more specifically that infamous rear one in the 65 block that needs the groove. Bearing had groove and holes are perfectly aligned with holes in block .
Pulled pan. There was a little sludge in there . Cleaned everything well . Checked all pushrods for clear.
Check .
Pulled an oil galley plug out of the back of the block .to see if anyone had installed reatictors for any reason.
Nope .
Checked lifter bores one had a slight edge on it . Cleared that .
Put it back together and primed the motor with drill primer tool . Got oil to to of all pushrods .
Then I was gonna run the motor on a stand before puttin it in the car . Motor sat on stand couple days. Had a leak near Timing Cover (good thing).
Pulled pan again and noticed pistons weren't clearing counter weights. .
There's my noise .
It's a 6223 forged crank that someone had balanced witj the pistons and rods that were in it.
I got new pistons WAY back when and the guy who put the motor together never saw that the pistons weren't clearing ???
Seen that issue a couple of times. It was a tolerance stack up thing.
Rods resized more than once became a bit short, crank ground a bit long and pistons with max thickness on balance pads or all three.
Yup, kind of an odd ticking noise if it's a just touches with a little rpm scenario.
One guy said aww I'll just rev it a few times and change the oil. yes he did.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."