Stock 63.5 Galaxie tune-up info?

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

TheGreatPumpkin
Stock 63.5 Galaxie tune-up info?

Post by TheGreatPumpkin »

Acquired a bone-stock 390 63.5 Galaxie to use as a daily while my Torino is parked (needs trans rebuild). Will restore and sell next year. In the meantime, I'd like to go through it and get it running as best as possible. Factory service manual is on the way, but I'm sure there's some wisdom to be had here. Seems to run ok but there are a few things I noticed:

-Trans doesn't seem to kickdown correctly
-Throttle travel is very short (see above?)
-Timing is unknown but would like to improve timing curve with stock dist or replace temporarily with a tunable part
-Would like a recommendation for oil, running straight 30 right now with zddp additive, my instinct is the 10W30 Lucas Hot Rod oil with zinc already in it
-Trans is the stock cruise o matic, the linkage is a little funky and the indicator doesn't line up with the PRNDL window, is this evidence of worn bushings in the linkage? Does it matter?
-Still has the "groundless" generator wiring in it. Never worked with one before. What do I need to know?

Thanks for any knowledge or recs you can share!
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Stock 63.5 Galaxie tune-up info?

Post by PackardV8 »

Don't sweat the oil choice, as long as it's a name brand 10-40; any cam lobe wear on that old lump occurred fifty years ago.

Don't even think of touching the exhaust manifolds. The fasteners are welded in there now.

Change all the lubricants and filters; oil, air, fuel, transmission, rear axle.

Flush the cooling system.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
TheGreatPumpkin

PackardV8 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:00 pm Don't sweat the oil choice, as long as it's a name brand 10-40; any cam lobe wear on that old lump occurred fifty years ago.

Don't even think of touching the exhaust manifolds. The fasteners are welded in there now.

Change all the lubricants and filters; oil, air, fuel, transmission, rear axle.

Flush the cooling system.
Sorry, I was really vague on the condition of this car. The engine has most likely been rebuilt. Car was cared for and occasionally driven by the previous owners, they just never really tuned it up. Not a barn find. Basic stuff is already done
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

Most any FE Ford will start and idle better with ~12* initial timing, 38* total mechanical. Idle in gear at 600 rpm. Valvoline 10W-30, or 30W will work just fine. Joe-71
Joe-71
TheGreatPumpkin

Joe-71 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:14 pm Most any FE Ford will start and idle better with ~12* initial timing, 38* total mechanical. Idle in gear at 600 rpm. Valvoline 10W-30, or 30W will work just fine. Joe-71
That'll be a great start, thank you
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

I believe the dwell is 28 to 32.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

FWIW, on any old car, if I'm asked to help with the tuneup, I always say, "Put in new spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, points and condensor and then we'll set the dwell, timing and carb." If the owner says, "But all that stuff looks OK." I say, "Then take it to someone who believes that to be true. Sixty years of experience says, 'Not likely.'"
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Ks Fats
Pro
Pro

Post by Ks Fats »

If the carb has been replaced with anything other than the original Autolite that probably explains the first items on your list. If the Autolite is still there, then the linkage will need to be adjusted. Your manual should have the procedure. Bear in mind that not all Autolites had the same type of linkage hook-ups so even if there is one in place it may not be correct for the car.