Making Aluminum Y Block heads

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

Mummert
Expert
Expert

Making Aluminum Y Block heads

Post by Mummert »

This is the first batch of heads we've made since we became Youtube Samurai's :lol: #-o . We thought we would take some time to share some of the process.
https://youtu.be/ZWtDN_tW_2A
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Re: Making Aluminum Y Block heads

Post by frnkeore »

Great Project!

How many cc and what will the ports flow, as cast?
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

I've never cc'd one. They flow 230cfm as cast with a 1.94". Lots of twists and turns and ups and downs in there.
Mummert Y-blocks
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Mummert wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:54 pm This is the first batch of heads we've made since we became Youtube Samurai's :lol: #-o . We thought we would take some time to share some of the process.
Great ...
Do you have any plans to cast some "Lincoln" Y-block heads in the future ?
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

I too, would like to see a resurrection of the Linc Y-Block. There was a VERY fast one, in a 56 Ford, in the early '60's, that I admired and never forgot.

But, there is just no support for it. New replacement parts are extremely hard to find and I don't think you can get a cam blank for it, at all. With it's deck height (10.94), you could get a easy 4.5 stroke with it, if that would clear the cam and block. A new block with Siamese bores could get you 4.375 x 4.5 = 541ci or 571ci with a 4.75 stroke.

Food for thought for very deep pockets.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:44 am
Mummert wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:54 pm This is the first batch of heads we've made since we became Youtube Samurai's :lol: #-o . We thought we would take some time to share some of the process.
Great ...
Do you have any plans to cast some "Lincoln" Y-block heads in the future ?
I miss spoke ... I actually meant the regular "Y-Block" heads with Lincoln type intake ports in them ?
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Ratu
Expert
Expert

Post by Ratu »

Those stacked Y-block inlet ports are intriguing. I'm guessing the lower inlet port flow is inferior to the upper one for of flow etc. Is this correct? What can be done to equalise the flow and the flow quality between the different geometry ports?
MichaelThompson

Post by MichaelThompson »

I’ll throw this question up again. I wonder if having the major dimension of the intake port parallel with the valve seat has any advantage over a conventional upright port ?

I realize the lower port is probably at a disadvantage but does anyone think turning ports over like the Y blocks makes up for that inequality a little bit?
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

On the iron heads, the ports as cast flow nearly identical to each other. On the Mummert aluminum heads, the flow is equal up to about .550" lift, and then the lower port stalls at around 240 cfm. With porting, the upper ports usually flow ~280cfm, and the lower ports flow~270 cfm. With lots of experimentation, I have been able to get the ports up to ~300cfm upper, ~290+cfm lower. The exhaust port varies with size and valve size from 180cfm to over 210 cfm with porting. Joe-71
Joe-71
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

One answer is IIRC,when Jon Kaase did his "not really a Y-block" entry in the Engine Masters, he took a pair of unmachined SBC head and intake castings, did $10,000 worth of custom welding, machining and porting to make them bolt on a Y-block and as usual scored higher than any of us plebes would have believed.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

Those were not SBC heads, but Mummert aluminum heads that Kaase modified. If you are going to make such a statement, be sure of your facts first. We have actually made more power than he did with real Mummert race heads. Joe-71
Joe-71
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

For true, Joe, but I did begin with If I Remember Correctly. Is the rest of my recollection somewhat correct, that Jon cut out the Y-block intake ports and welded up the intakes to SBC dimensions and used a SBC intake?

So bottom line, Jon's finished heads had very little to do with Y-block design heads. That you guys have taken actual Y-block heads beyond what he was able to do with those radical modification is a credit to you.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

First off, I respect Jon Kaase as a true innovator and master enginee builder. However, that Y Block entry was about as far from being a Y block as possible. About the only thing that was truly a Y was the block and valve covers. Everything else was aftermarket, modified, or made by Jon. He is a genius in his own right when it comes to innovation and thinking out of the box. Joe-71
Joe-71
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

MichaelThompson wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:13 pm I’ll throw this question up again. I wonder if having the major dimension of the intake port parallel with the valve seat has any advantage over a conventional upright port ?

I realize the lower port is probably at a disadvantage but does anyone think turning ports over like the Y blocks makes up for that inequality a little bit?
There could be some advantages with straighter ports. Y Blocks ports square up more as they start negotiating obstacles.

The heads are capable of plenty of power if you dig into them a bit.
Mummert Y-blocks
donsboy

Post by donsboy »

Would the Lincoln y block be similar to the phase 2 heads our of Argentina? Which head would flow better ?