Question about modern technology cam for Early FordFlat Head

Engine tech, for those engines, products, and technologies of yesteryear.

Moderator: Team

CamKing
Guru
Guru

Re: Question about modern technology cam for Early FordFlat Head

Post by CamKing »

pdq67 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:23 am I know about the NOS French flatheads but still..

pdq67
There's a US company that makes blocks. Edelbrock and Offenhauser make heads. You can buy every part, brand new, made in America
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Where is Jack Vines at so we can talk about Stude and Packard parts..

pdq67
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

pdq67 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:01 am Tell me if I am wrong here, but I thought Ford "Y"-blocks used like roofing nail lifters?? Suckers had to come out of the bottom of the block..

So how do you use them in a SBF engine??

Now if you are just talking about the diameter of the foot, then fine???

pdq67
It's not hard, at all to fit them to the SBF. They are called "mushroom lifters" because they are shaped like a mushroom. The shank is .499 and at the end of that shank, they are 1" in diameter. Yes, they are installed from inside the cam tunnel.

I made up 2 aluminum bushings, .500 inside and .874 on the outside, then at the top, I made a small section to be a .0005 interference fit, to hold them in place, for the mock up. They fit w/o any problems, with a .378 lobe lift, .904 cam profile. Although I didn't measure how much farther they would rise, there was at least another .10 clearance, from the cam nose, to the tunnel, I think closer to 3/16.

All you need to do this, is 16 press in bushings and spring oiler's. I should have a running engine, using them, by the end of Jan/Feb. I have to finish these two engine that I have in progress first.
Pete1

Post by Pete1 »

CamKing wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:32 am
pdq67 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:23 am I know about the NOS French flatheads but still..

pdq67
There's a US company that makes blocks. Edelbrock and Offenhauser make heads. You can buy every part, brand new, made in America
Most vintage racing associations will not allow after market or French blocks. Mods to an OEM block are unlimited though.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

frnkeore wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:34 pm
pdq67 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:01 am Tell me if I am wrong here, but I thought Ford "Y"-blocks used like roofing nail lifters?? Suckers had to come out of the bottom of the block..

pdq67
It's not hard, at all to fit them to the SBF. They are called "mushroom lifters" because they are shaped like a mushroom. The shank is .499 and at the end of that shank, they are 1" in diameter. Yes, they are installed from inside the cam tunnel.

I made up 2 aluminum bushings, .500 inside and .874 on the outside, then at the top, I made a small section to be a .0005 interference fit, to hold them in place, for the mock up. They fit w/o any problems, with a .378 lobe lift, .904 cam profile. Although I didn't measure how much farther they would rise, there was at least another .10 clearance, from the cam nose, to the tunnel, I think closer to 3/16.

All you need to do this, is 16 press in bushings and spring oiler's. I should have a running engine, using them, by the end of Jan/Feb. I have to finish these two engine that I have in progress first.
Seems like a lot of trouble to me..

An old 312 "Y"- block with an old Isky Z-30 Cam will run fine..

pdq67
Sparksalot

Post by Sparksalot »

There are major stashes of Ford flatheads peppered around the the USA. One is in all places Silicon Valley.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Well then post up it's address..

pdq67
dfree383
Guru
Guru

Post by dfree383 »

To hey aren’t that hard to find, $500-$1000 will get you a core engine, depending on condition. And yes you can find crack free ones too.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

dfree383 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:18 am To hey aren’t that hard to find, $500-$1000 will get you a core engine, depending on condition. And yes you can find crack free ones too.
Yes, No, Maybe. A local old-school rodder has spent $2000 on core engines and $500 for cleaning, pressure testing and magnaflux. Every one he's brought in thus far has been cracked. Some are only cracked around the exhaust valve seats and don't leak under a pressure test. However, he's become obsessed with finding a crack-free flathead Ford V8. Good luck with that.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
MichaelThompson

Post by MichaelThompson »

piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

pdq67
Mushroom lifters were made in '69 for the T/A Boss 302s . The cam tunnel MUST be machined so the lifters clear the block at full lift. I have some used originals if anyone needs them. They can be "resurfaced". PM if interested .
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Randy,
I mocked it up on my D1 block (but, they will go in my C8 block), using this CC, .904 cam. It has .382/.390 lobes. Every thing fit fine and although I didn't measure, there was at least .100, additional lift available.

Maybe the 4 bolt blocks were tighter? I don't know, all I can say is it works in this block.

Do your Boss mushroom lifters have oil to the push rods?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.