Sbc oil restrictors to top end (yes - no)

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

klw_71
Sbc oil restrictors to top end (yes - no)

Post by klw_71 »

I have some drilled out restrictors ( .040 ) in the back end of a circle track sbc & have been wondering if these are old school, old tech that should be changed out. Should a guy drill them out farther or just put the old threaded plugs in and let'er flow. I'm using roller rockers and a med to high spring pressure set-up.
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

If your not using valve spring oilers in the valve covers I would not use restrictors as your valve srings will run cooler with the extra oil.
Website is up and running
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/
Machine shop tour
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/shop-tour/
Monthly Specials
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/specials/
55MM babbit cam bearings with 1 hole
norton
Post by norton »

how about on a drag car? I run mine drilled to .100. Solid roller with about 275 seat pressure 1.550 springs.

I have been told yes and no. Would love to hear what some of the pros on here say about this subject.

Sorry for the tread jack :D
If its not one thing its five!
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GuysMonteSS »

Just my opinion,as I'm no pro,but you do not want to restrict oil getting to solid roller lifters.Period !!!
Guy
'86 Monte SS,513 BBC,AFR heads,Bullet solid roller cam,Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,Hurst Inline Shifter,Ford 9 inch Rearend.
Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Post by Wolfplace »

In my opinion this is 60's "technology" & something perpetuated over the years by magazine articles & internet experts.
Or,,
If it gets written about or repeated enough times it becomes fact :cry: :lol:

I do not use or recommend restricting the oil to your lifters especially roller lifters & this goes even more so in an endurance engine

What exactly is it your are trying to accomplish?

If you feel the need to restrict the oil to the top end so your springs can run hotter for some reason there are pushrods made that will do this
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines
4axis CNC block machining

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
A tour of my shop
The Dyno
And a few pics of the gang

"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid"
John Wayne
norton
Post by norton »

Wolfplace wrote:In my opinion this is 60's "technology" & something perpetuated over the years by magazine articles & internet experts.
Or,,
If it gets written about or repeated enough times it becomes fact :cry: :lol:

I do not use or recommend restricting the oil to your lifters especially roller lifters & this goes even more so in an endurance engine

What exactly is it your are trying to accomplish?

If you feel the need to restrict the oil to the top end so your springs can run hotter for some reason there are pushrods made that will do this

I think you answered your own question in the first half of your post

BTW: Mine will be coming out this next week, if the answers keep coming as they are now :D
If its not one thing its five!
Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Post by Wolfplace »

norton wrote:
I think you answered your own question in the first half of your post

BTW: Mine will be coming out this next week, if the answers keep coming as they are now :D
Actually at .100" /bank I think you are probably closing on little to no restriction so I would not be too concerned with yours :wink:
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines
4axis CNC block machining

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
A tour of my shop
The Dyno
And a few pics of the gang

"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid"
John Wayne
klw_71
Restict or not

Post by klw_71 »

I had bought a motor with these in the block & left them in since it was built by a known builder, until I re-ringed & bearing it this winter but kept them out on the rebuild thinking about valve life since stepping up the valve train & heads for this year. but started secound guessing myself & wanted to pick some brains. thanks
klw_71
Post by klw_71 »

oh yea I forgot to mention that these restrictors were "red anodized aluminum"!! brite shinny too!! Kinda like the fishing tackle isle @ wally world if you know what I mean!
3V Performance
Vendor

Post by 3V Performance »

klw_71 wrote:oh yea I forgot to mention that these restrictors were "red anodized aluminum"!! brite shinny too!! Kinda like the fishing tackle isle @ wally world if you know what I mean!
Have you seen the GREEN anodized ones? :)

No one can there in behind the trans. hahaha

We don't use them at all in anything.

Tom
3V Performance
" ENGINES WITH AN ATTITUDE "
980-222-7230
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

Look down the drain holes in ends of the heads and make sure they are not half blocked by the block.If you have a high volume oil pump and don't have enough oil capacity it could suck the pan dry.
rklessdriver

Post by rklessdriver »

RCJ wrote:Look down the drain holes in ends of the heads and make sure they are not half blocked by the block.If you have a high volume oil pump and don't have enough oil capacity it could suck the pan dry.
A HV pump bypasses far more oil than it pumps to the top of an engine. Since the bypass in a HV pump dumps strait back into the oil pan, explain to us how it could pump the pan dry?

Even with the cyl heads end returns completely blocked, if it filled both heads up 100% to the valve covers, (their capacity might be about 5qts) so even with a stock pan and HV pump I think it would be mighty difficult to pump a pan dry.
Will