Piston Ring Grinders

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Fatman
Guru
Guru
Piston Ring Grinders

Post by Fatman »

I'm doing some research for a colleague who is looking for a piston ring grinder. He needs an accurate and reliable unit that is also easy to use. Needs one with a guage on it so that when you need to take off a set amount you can easily do it without mucking around.

I have only been able to find the ABS unit. What else is out there? what are you using? like it or not?
Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Re: Piston Ring Grinders

Post by Wolfplace »

Fatman wrote:I'm doing some research for a colleague who is looking for a piston ring grinder. He needs an accurate and reliable unit that is also easy to use. Needs one with a guage on it so that when you need to take off a set amount you can easily do it without mucking around.

I have only been able to find the ABS unit. What else is out there? what are you using? like it or not?
Don't think you are going to find anything better than the ABS unit, I have had mine for about 15 years now & love it
The only downside is it is a bit pricey but sometimes you do get what you pay for
I can get the ABS for you or E--- if that is who it is for??
Let me know
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines
4axis CNC block machining

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
A tour of my shop
The Dyno
And a few pics of the gang

"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid"
John Wayne
Procision-Auto
Guru
Guru

Post by Procision-Auto »

I'll agree that the ABS unit is pretty top notch. I've used two in my ventures; the bottom unit is a manual grinder and somewhat tedious and time consuming.

Invest the extra coin and go with a motorized wheel!

SG4247

Post by SG4247 »

I Just recieved my ABS grinder last week and have already run a bunch of rings across it.

Best deal I could find, and I shopped around. He mentioned the price was going up, when I ordered it.

Only two negative things...the cork deburring wheel is so far off center its not useable. Also, the dial face retainer screw was missing the little clamp, so it was hard to hold zero on the dial face with the clamp not present.

I bought the silica carbide abrasive, it came with 4 extra pads. I will need them, they dont last long when grinding hard rings. Dont know about the boron abrasive, maybe worth the extra $$?

I should call them and have these issues addressed I suppose. No big deal, its a great tool.
Fatman
Guru
Guru

Post by Fatman »

Thanks for the replies.

Is the ABS unit the only high end machine out there? Surely some of the other tooling manufacturers make them.
xanadu
Pro
Pro

Post by xanadu »

Goodson make one and is pretty neat by the look of it.
Did not feel like Mortgaging my house for it though.

Can anyone over there hook me up with an ABS unit? PM me with a price?
I am in Australia by the way. Thanks... :)
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Will this help? I am sure they ship your direction.
http://www.abs-products.com/specialty-t ... nder.shtml
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

I have a Goodson and I just love it, I think it is much better design than the other one. JMHO
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

AA Performance
Guru
Guru

Post by AA Performance »

Baprace wrote:I have a Goodson and I just love it, I think it is much better design than the other one. JMHO
X2. I wish I bought it 20 years ago. You can buy the same one through Total Seal a lot cheaper as they are made by the same guy.
Xanadu. ring Performance Wholesale in Queensland for the Total seal & you will love it.
rskrause
Expert
Expert

Post by rskrause »

I use the cheap thing from Pro Form, but that's once or twice a year and it's adequate for that.
vincenelson
Pro
Pro

Post by vincenelson »

I built my own out of a sewing macine motor and foot peddle, 10"x10" aluminum plate, countersunk bolts, 4 aluminum round stock about 5" long. Have had it for 30 years and get good results. If I remember correctly I cabanalized the shaft out of a cheap manual ring filer and put it into a lathe and drilled a hole in the shaft and attached it to the shaft of the sewing machine motor. I had more time than money in the project. I use a fine diamond file to dress the burrs on the rings when cut, I push the ring gap together as I go to make sure they stay parallel. I only cut one side and check often. You can always cut more, but can't replace any once gone.