Whats Your Definition of a Engine Builder

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

swatson454
Guru
Guru

Re: Whats Your Definition of a Engine Builder

Post by swatson454 »

How about a guy that knows how to spec a cam to do what he wants it to do that works with all of the given parameters vs. selecting a "3/4 race cam" or a "medium torque cam" or even "two cams down from an rv cam" from somewhere towards the bottom of the page #-o
Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

CamKing wrote:Someone who can degree in a cam.

Geez... that's pretty generous. I'm a backyard assembler at best, and I only work on my own junk. Even I've degreed 4 or 5 cams over the past 20 years.
raynorshine
Expert
Expert

Post by raynorshine »

swatson454 wrote:How about a guy that knows how to spec a cam to do what he wants it to do that works with all of the given parameters vs. selecting a "3/4 race cam" or a "medium torque cam" or even "two cams down from an rv cam" from somewhere towards the bottom of the page #-o
you forgot the "smooth idle full race" cam? when in doubt, just go to the bottom of the page ](*,)
Use it up
Wear it out
Eat it all!

-the greatest..."Dale Armstrong"
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

How about: knowing when, where, and how to spend a customer's money to get the most effective package at a reasonable cost that meets or exceeds expectations reliably?
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602
swatson454
Guru
Guru

Post by swatson454 »

raynorshine wrote:
swatson454 wrote:How about a guy that knows how to spec a cam to do what he wants it to do that works with all of the given parameters vs. selecting a "3/4 race cam" or a "medium torque cam" or even "two cams down from an rv cam" from somewhere towards the bottom of the page #-o
you forgot the "smooth idle full race" cam? when in doubt, just go to the bottom of the page ](*,)
Indeed I did. Good one :lol:
Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
DrillDawg
Expert
Expert

Post by DrillDawg »

Malvn wrote:I often wondered what many consider the definition is of a engine builder??

Jon Kasse

DD
BORN RIGHT THE FIRST TIME
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

DrillDawg wrote:
Malvn wrote:I often wondered what many consider the definition is of a engine builder??

Jon Kasse

DD
That's kind of like saying the definition of a race car driver is "Jimmie Johnson" or the definition of a pilot is "Neil Armstrong" or the .................. well, you get my point. He kind of sets the standard up there a ways. a looonnnnnng ways. :D
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602
DrillDawg
Expert
Expert

Post by DrillDawg »

900HP wrote:
DrillDawg wrote:

Jon Kasse

DD
That's kind of like saying the definition of a race car driver is "Jimmie Johnson" or the definition of a pilot is "Neil Armstrong" or the .................. well, you get my point. He kind of sets the standard up there a ways. a looonnnnnng ways. :D

Your right and you got my point. There are a lot of builders right up there with him but a lot of people who think they are builders are not :shock: .

By the way I know I am not one.

DD
BORN RIGHT THE FIRST TIME
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

novadude wrote:

Geez... that's pretty generous. I'm a backyard assembler at best, and I only work on my own junk. Even I've degreed 4 or 5 cams over the past 20 years.
You'd be suprised how many people who call themselves engine builders, think you just need to line up the dots.
I get calls from them all the time.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
bbc

Post by bbc »

k-star wrote: (don't mix up clutter or alot of work laying around with dirty)
Ha Ha...Perfect! =D> =D>
bbc

Post by bbc »

CamKing wrote: You'd be suprised how many people who call themselves engine builders, think you just need to line up the dots.
Dots, what dots?? #-o
Lem Evans
Expert
Expert

Post by Lem Evans »

I.M.O. a guy that delivers an engine that has great results.
B F Evans Ford Race Parts
270-278-2376
mike walsh
Expert
Expert

Post by mike walsh »

Not the guy that says, "Gonna screw me sum motors tagather taday." I quit working for him, he sucked, cursed my mother, and lost the only decent employee he had, and he learned all he knew from an old Smokey book, Speed secrets.
Best engine builder i ever knew personally has retired, he was a relic, propeller head from the 50s, he was so clean and organized, used white drop cloths and laid every part out, anyway you get the idea.
mikeeebikey@yahoo.com

Drag racers prayer:
As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
trmnatr

Post by trmnatr »

CNC BLOCKS wrote:
Mike Rogers wrote:Some one who designs ,machines and assemble the engine.
X2 and guys who have to farm everything and do no machine work or buys everything out a box I would call an engine assembler.

There is surly a differance between the two.

This should be a good debate!!!
GM's engine builders don't machine everything.

Saying if they have someone do the machine work would be just like saying, IF YOU SEND HEADS OUT TO GET PORTED your not an engine builder, and most engine builder do send heads out to get ported. Also shops I know that do it all (except head porting) have a dedicated engine builder in house and dedicated machinist who does ALL THE MACHINE WORK

IMO an engine builder is one who does assemble the engine and makes mods to the parts being used, adjusts clearances from factory and can use aftermarket or any part to make the engine a winner

An assembler IMO are like dealer guys who only use GM and dont check clearances and usually an engine builder corrects the problem when there is one.

Someone such as yourself IMO is the engine builder and machinist.
trmnatr

Post by trmnatr »

CamKing wrote:
novadude wrote:

You'd be suprised how many people who call themselves engine builders, think you just need to line up the dots.
I get calls from them all the time.
What if the dots are off :lol:

I asked a "builder" how he degree's the cam with no degree wheel. He puts the balancer on and makes sure it lines up to 0 and removes it to see if its dot to dot [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<