General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Sir Yun
Expert
Expert

setting up mappable ignitions for NA

Post by Sir Yun »

Hi all.

can anyone give me a short description of how setting up mapping a 3D ignition map on a dyno works??

I understand a simple distributor curve.. but as far as i understand it will alter timing according to load even at a fixed rpm (?)

cheers
“There is no authority who decides what is a good idea.”
― Richard Feynman

Expert ? Me ? ...whhhhaaahahhaahahaha
DavidHarsay
Pro
Pro

Post by DavidHarsay »

What are you working with?

AEM has a paper on setting up their system, which may be a pretty good place to start... which is the first step and also the hardest part n my opinion.

http://fordfuelinjection.com/files/AEM_ ... s_V1.3.pdf

All the way down to Page 44-49, and pay close attention to the tables and samples.

Once you have a place to start, tune the WOT on the dyno and go from there to tune for partial throttle and drivability.

Hope that helps,

Dave
Sir Yun
Expert
Expert

Post by Sir Yun »

thanx,

I'm thinking about using a MegaJolt lite Jr. (open source)/ Ford Edis.
Fuel injecting my kind of engine is not sensible (siamese ports and charge robbing.. carbs are still the best option), but people have remarked that using a mappable ignition aided driveability with hairy cams.
this seems like an okay way to get aquinted with this stuff.

Just getting my head around the basics and was wondering on how long a dyno session would take.
“There is no authority who decides what is a good idea.”
― Richard Feynman

Expert ? Me ? ...whhhhaaahahhaahahaha
DavidHarsay
Pro
Pro

Post by DavidHarsay »

Sounds good... don't get me wrong, I wasn't suggesting fuel injection, just wanted to reference the ignition section of the AEM paper for reference material in helping with the process.

If you have a good tuner/dyno guy, he'll be able to do it for you perhaps... there's one locally who does. It may take hours, that's certainly true... but you should get it running first.